DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Icing and rain damage prevention (Mavic 3)

lomposlapos

Reactions
How to avoid icing and rain/water damage when flying in visible moisture, mist, fog, clouds, rain, snow?

Are there forewarning signs of icing or the AC just falls off the sky? Temperature range to avoid? How much rain is too much? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated on how to avoid, minimize impact, and recover from such situations (besides not flying).

How to avoid icing and rain/water damage when flying in visible moisture, mist, fog, clouds, rain, snow?

Are there forewarning signs of icing or the AC just falls off the sky? Temperature range to avoid? How much rain is too much? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated on how to avoid, minimize impact, and recover from such situations (besides not flying).
The warning sign is cold, moist fogy conditions.
The indications it is happening are the drone losing climbing ability and shortly after, it loses the ability to hold altitude and comes down.
The solution is to avoid those conditions

Thank you. What is the icing temperature range? 0 to -40 C? Or more limited? Our coldest ground temp is around -40 C.

You might consider getting a Wet Suit which will allow you to fly in the Rain and the Snow. Each drone has its own weakness and the Wet Suit Enhances and Create Air tight areas where needed.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain. land on the Water.

Last edited:
But it won't do a thing to prevent propeller icing and loss of lift.
After 5 years of flying in the worst snow storms to induce icing on the props it finnaly happened to me.

5 minutes into a Cleveland Snow Storm the drone a Mavic 3 Pro started to loose altitude and I had to bring it back and land because despite the Wet Suit the Props had iced up , It was 12 degrees an snowing incredibly hard , something of a Perfect Storm.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water.

You might consider getting a Wet Suit which will allow you to fly in the Rain and the Snow. Each drone has its own weakness and the Wet Suit Enhances and Create Air tight areas where needed.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain. land on the Water.
And adds weight to the aircraft thereby hastening the decent when the propellers fail.

Reactions: okw and mobilehomer
Only time I got it was flying on a cold misty day. So misty the drone vanished. Got a motor overload warning, brought it straight back down and it had some icing on the edges of the propellers (mini 3 pro). I now look at the temperature and relative humidity before flying, though I have no idea what the limit is. I've flown it on a cold snowy day with no problems. But I avoid any low cloud or misty/ foggy conditions if it's within a few degrees Celsius of freezing point on the ground.

Reactions: Robert Prior
Only time I got it was flying on a cold misty day. So misty the drone vanished. Got a motor overload warning, brought it straight back down and it had some icing on the edges of the propellers (mini 3 pro). I now look at the temperature and relative humidity before flying, though I have no idea what the limit is. I've flown it on a cold snowy day with no problems. But I avoid any low cloud or misty/ foggy conditions if it's within a few degrees Celsius of freezing point on the ground.
Any rain is too much. The gimbal is the most exposed and will freak out if moisture penetrates the pitch/roll/yaw motors. Not 'fatal', but it won't support the camera properly until it dries out. Not experienced icing, but cold batteries lose charge really quickly and don't function efficiently. Warm 'em up before take off. Dry chemical hand warmers are brilliant for this.

There is also a difference in the snow, is it dry or damp wet snow.

I use and subscribe to the UAV Forecast app. It has temperature settings including wind chill, relative humidity, dew point, and temperature dew point spread. Once you understand the parameters, and set them suitably, the app will automatically tell you when it's not safe to fly. Every pilot flying in inclement weather needs to understand these measures.

I should probably clarify that it wasn't actually snowing when I flew. Just snow on the ground and quite cold temperatures, but a clear sunny day. But no ice then...

After 5 years of flying in the worst snow storms to induce icing on the props it finnaly happened to me.

5 minutes into a Cleveland Snow Storm the drone a Mavic 3 Pro started to loose altitude and I had to bring it back and land because despite the Wet Suit the Props had iced up , It was 12 degrees an snowing incredibly hard , something of a Perfect Storm.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water.
Best solution- leave Cleveland!

Very impressive, indeed. Does a wetsuit really makes a difference? One can not put a jacket around the rotors, gimbal, and the cooling vents.

Very impressive, indeed. Does a wetsuit really makes a difference? One can not put a jacket around the rotors, gimbal, and the cooling vents.
Yes , DJI already makes a very water resistant drone as the motors are Aluminum Brush Less Motors , the same motors used in the RC subs and the Camera is also Water Proof. Thus the Wet Suits create Air Tight areas where needed and redirects the Air Flow so air can escape but rain cannot get in allowing for Thousands of Flight in the Rain the world over.

The Forum Members get a really nice Package: you get two full color designs and # 3 Air Tight Battery Covers
and International customers get Extra Parts Package and Customs discount.. email me at [email protected]

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Just wondering, has anyone tried applying something to the props i.e. silicone spray or oil? I personally avoid flying in icing conditions but curious about any applications to props.

It took 5 years of Flying in every snow storm for it to finally happen , so now I have the Recipee and the Silcione Spray would help. If its 12 degrees and snowing i might apply it , Today is 25 Degree and a Blizzard with no issues.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Rain / Snow.

Reactions: flyin4fun
Did anyone see a 3D thermal image of the drone right after a regular flight to see what areas, parts are prone and not prone for icing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13