DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over private property

I'm not sure how anyone can avoid flying over private land and in some cases near or over homes. I live in a rural area and frequently fly over the hundreds of farm acreage and not experienced any issues. I fly between 300-400 ft much of the time, although lately, lower for a different perspective. If I see people, I change course to avoid them. There is no way to know if a nutcase or two is out there with a weapon, or if they believe I am taking photos of them. I think the only thing we can do is operate with respect for privacy as much as possible. If someone expresses concern, I would most likely respond as you did to start.
I assume you’re one of those polite people who takes a photo at a rock festival then asks everyone in the shot for their permission! If you are in public place anyone can take a ohoto of you from the ground or a Drone. If you don’t want to be photographed stay indoors all you life

Reactions: Slade and mereflyer
I've only had one occasion where I was approached by somebody that I thought was going to be a problem. They started out with "What are you doing?". I said, "Hey, how you doing? I'm just taking my drone out for a spin. Here, take a look." Then I handed them my goggles. Spent the next 15 minutes talking about how much fun it was to fly and all the places I'd been with it while the guy watched me fly around the area. Last thing the guy asked me was "Where can I buy one". :)

I live in the rural midwest and I fly over hundreds of acres of cropland every day I fly. I make it a point never to fly directly over any of my neighbors houses even if I'm flying full out in sport mode at 400'. Not had anybody complain yet, but I'm sure there's always that "one person" that you're probably never going to be able to please regardless of what you do. Just try to be courteous if you can and remember that we're ambassadors of the sport.

Its funny that there are so many views re the legality of flying over others. thats what happens when there are soft laws.
Eventually these grey areas will be legislated, and our freedoms will be reduced way more than we would like.

If enough people complain, the law makers have a responsibility to introduce laws that reflect the community attitudes. You may find that if you piss off enough people your ‘rights’ will be trimmed

I am always amused by the difference in attitudes in various countries.

Here in Australia, you cannot fly within 30m of a house – full stop.

I agree with this law.

I always try to see others point of view and if was a non drone person, I would be annoyed by someone flying over me. Just yesterday, someone nearby flew about 30m above me and I'm currently in a NFZ. I was annoyed and I could have called the police but ….

I realise that aircraft fly over all the time but that is way different. They usually don’t have the capacity to video you.

We will have new regs introduced here in June principally because the CASA requested input from everyone. Imagine the complaints!

Really looking forward to what we can do after that – not!

Quote from 'Mr. Salty':
Who is the “our” you keep referring to? Are you a law firm, or are you using sort of a royal plural?

And not to state the obvious but the OP wasn’t in the ”guy’s face” or anyone else’s.

Apologies for 'Offending' you. Think we mentioned being a Retired Editor? Old habits don't die easily at 76, and using the Plural is common practice in that Field. If it bothers you, just ignore us, cuz it ain't going away. Fair enough?

Re: Point 2, why'd The Other Guy show up? Obviously he wasn't out for a Ride.

Rgds, NAVMAV

I've been stopped once in an affluent neighborhood along Lake Michigan. The guy started asking questions, I was open and showing him the controls, the video and the pictures, and pretty soon he thought it was the greatest thing ever.

I think the important thing is to keep the conversation open and light. His or her concerns are valid and being able to give an answer is critical to making the hobby/business better for everyone. The answer needs to deal with their concerns. Show them that you have concerns too. It sets up a camaraderie between you.

I find drones unnerving when it's not mine. I don't know why, but I do. So I can understand other people's concerns when they've never even had the experiences I've had.

I suggest engaging people openly. Don't act like your hiding something, or better than they are because you know the law. I also believe hovering directly over someone's house or making it a point of interest can make them very uncomfortable in this day and age, whether it's legal or not. So, what's the answer? Don't do it unless they ask you or you get permission.

If you are flying over or near private property be sure that it is high enough that it either isn't bothering them or their pets, or that you couldn't make out people in the print.

If you are at 300'+ I don't think anyone could see it in the sky unless they saw it from the point of take off.

Anyhow, drone users are are like "foreigners" and being such we have to be good will ambassadors even if it might offend us personally. In the long run it will be better for you and everyone else.

Quote from 'Mr. Salty':
Who is the “our” you keep referring to? Are you a law firm, or are you using sort of a royal plural?

And not to state the obvious but the OP wasn’t in the ”guy’s face” or anyone else’s.

Apologies for 'Offending' you. Think we mentioned being a Retired Editor?

As a nonretired editor I would point out that putting “offending” in quotes implies I said I was offended. I did not, so please don’t imply I said something I didn’t.

LOL! That brings up another issue. I could be out flying and some passerby will come up and start bending my ear. They have no clue that I'm trying to concentrate on safely flying this contraption 300 ft in the air. In fact, the guy that stopped to complain about flying over his house obviously didn't think of that. I eventually told him, "look, I can't keep talking about this, I have to concentrate on what I'm doing." Then he was on his merry way.
I had the same situation a few weeks ago. Posted here "Unscheduled drone demo", you can read about it there.

I live in a rural setting and I fly my drone over neighbors' houses all the time. Passing over at 100-150 feet, IMHO, is not an invasion of privacy. "Hovering" over someone's house at 50-100' would!
Well stated sir.

Reactions: Thomas B
Another quote from Mr. Salty: As a nonretired editor I would point out that putting “offending” in quotes implies I said I was offended. I did not, so please don’t imply I said something I didn’t.

Wow. Seems we've lost the ability to interpret the thrust of a comment. Shame on US.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Quote from Bryce Steiner: Anyhow, drone users are like "foreigners" and being such we have to be good will ambassadors even if it might offend us personally. In the long run it will be better for you and everyone else.

In our opinion, Mr. Steiner nails it. If our Forum had a "Mayor", we'd nominate him.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Common sense and the general public, now that's a good one!!

I'd also bet if you pointed out things like Google Earth to them, they'd either have no argument at all, or one that was so dumb you'd be left speechless.
I do not have high expectations that the general public will display common sense. I'm referning that the RPIC display common sense when flying and dealing with land owners. In other words, don't buzz their house or livestock etc.

Reactions: naiku
So far I have only had two people 'complain' to me. One was an old idiot...a waste of time. The other I turned into a friendly conversation about drones and music. Long story. Let them know you are legal.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Wear this next time?

Don’t let people bully you and trample your own rights — operate within the confines of the law and remain pleasant, but forceful.

My God, they must freak out every time a General Aviation aircraft or airliner flies over their property.

Imagine how their must feel about the satellites and Google maps images?!
? I am not a commercial drone pilot ..Yet! But when I do, this will be mine ?????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98