DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water -- are all the drones the same?

Xooterpust

Reactions
I live near saltwater and almost directly on a marsh with a channel running through it, and I've seen a lot of warnings about flying over water. It has to do with the drone' ability to interpret the reflections from the water, I think. When I checked the DJI site, there is a specific warning not to fly the Mavic Air 2 (my model) over water, but the same warning didn't appear for the Mavic Air 2S. Which is why I wonder if the drones' sensors are the same on both models.

Since I like to video family, friends, and neighbors kayaking and boating, it worries me. I try to keep the drone over the marsh grass to make sure it has something to see but I'm not sure how much the view of the grass helps. Hopefully a lot. I've attached a pic to show the area I'm talking about. If links are allowed on this forum you can see a video here:

Attachments

• 20210923_110756.jpg
    20210923_110756.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm surprised how much this topic comes up, but then again I used to (past tense) worry about it myself. First off, I fly over water a lot...but keep it >100 ft (for the most part). I think that part of the issue with water is the constant moving/uneven surface as well as the potential for reflections. Flying low over any terrain is rife with risk, so I don't really do anything over water that I wouldn't do over land. There is one big advantage to flying over water: not a lot of trees and power lines! ;)

We fly both the Air 2 and the Air 2S over the water almost every day and there is no difference between how they fly over the water.

There is a difference between the Mini 2 and the other drones as our testing has shown that the Mini when close to the Water will want to land much faster .

We test the drones using the Rescue Jackets to float on and above the water , most of the drone put up a fight to not land on the water but the Mini not so much.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Testing video flying over the Water.

Nice vid and photo....I think that over that marshy area that you have plenty of contrast until you get over open water....I fly over water more often than not...but never low or along streams with tree branches sticking out...I use a Mini2 ...I usually fly with someone who uses a Air2S ....that literally dances across the water

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Nice vid and photo....I think that over that marshy area that you have plenty of contrast until you get over open water....I fly over water more often than not...but never low or along streams with tree branches sticking out...I use a Mini2 ...I usually fly with someone who uses a Air2S ....that literally dances across the water
The rescue jackets don’t interfere with the drone’s maneuverability, flight time, or responsiveness?

The rescue jackets don’t interfere with the drone’s maneuverability, flight time, or responsiveness?
You loose about 5 minutes , here is a good video showing how capable the Rescue jacket is in flight. It would server you well. Rescue in flight - taken down to 39 % battery. Wind is less than Air Data is showing .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

I live near saltwater and almost directly on a marsh with a channel running through it, and I've seen a lot of warnings about flying over water. It has to do with the drone' ability to interpret the reflections from the water, I think.
This is a topic of constant myth and misinformation.
The sensors are used to provide horizontal position holding at low altitudes.
They have difficulty locking on to the water surface, just like they can on dry land with surfaces that lack suitable texture or patterns.
But that only affects horizontal position holding at low altitudes.
It has nothing to do with vertical position ( altitude) holding.
Do whatever you like over water.
Just don't fly into the water, just as you don't want to fly into the ground.

This is a topic of constant myth and misinformation.
The sensors are used to provide horizontal position holding at low altitudes.
They have difficulty locking on to the water surface, just like they can on dry land with surfaces that lack suitable texture or patterns.
But that only affects horizontal position holding at low altitudes.
It has nothing to do with vertical position ( altitude) holding.
Do whatever you like over water.
Just don't fly into the water, just as you don't want to fly into the ground.
Okay, so as I take that in I also wonder why the altitude reading gets so far off when I'm flying over a soybean field. I can't cite the specifics at this moment, but an altitude of, say, 17 feet over a grassed yard suddenly goes seriously awry over soybeans. I don't remember in which direction, though. Because of my exaggerated and misplaced fears of flying the Mavic Air 2 over water, I sold it. Instead I will buy the 2S or maybe wait and see what DJI releases with the Mavic 3. Which is one of the reasons I wondered if the sensors are the same in all the models. I wanted one that could safely detect its altitude over water. There is something almost captivating about viewing those videos of the drone's flights, so I'm hoping the Mavic 3 is out soon I need to decide.

Okay, so as I take that in I also wonder why the altitude reading gets so far off when I'm flying over a soybean field. I can't cite the specifics at this moment, but an altitude of, say, 17 feet over a grassed yard suddenly goes seriously awry over soybeans.
The altitude data for all DJI drones comes from a barometric sensor that maesures air pressure changes.
It's common and normal for the indicated altitude to change 10 feet or more during the course of a flight.
It has nothing to do with whatever is below the drone.
I wondered if the sensors are the same in all the models. I wanted one that could safely detect its altitude over water.
They are basically the same.
Do not trust your indicated height to display accurate height.
You need to allow some margin for error.

(Mod Removed Language) The people on this forum are smart. When I got it, I didn't have an inkling there was so much to know about a drone. A "margin for error." I'll take that to heart, because I had noticed sudden and unexpected discrepancies in the altitude reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dur8an Poison
(Mod Removed Language)The people on this forum are smart. When I got it, I didn't have an inkling there was so much to know about a drone. A "margin for error." I'll take that to heart, because I had noticed sudden and unexpected discrepancies in the altitude reading.
Were you able to get the video to play, ? Just so i know there working as I rarely have an issues with video playing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

One of those things that always crops up is density altitude. Flight over water is subject to higher humidity, and probably that's also true over some crops. More water in the air reduces lift (air is less dense). The GPS altimeter should compensate - but since some of the flight control is based on a barometer reading - care is probably in order.

I recently spent two batteries flying my Air 2 over a river - low - 8' to 15'. Time spent in all three modes - some at nearly 40mph. The only risk I felt was my tendency to pull back on the stick for nose up, and fish were jumping for flies. I noticed some altitude discrepancies when leaving the bank - but it was never a huge difference - a couple feet. And the bugs on the struts when putting the drone back into the bag.

From what I was told certain types of sensors are unable to detect water, so if you have to emergency land, the water is not a solid surface, so it goes through the water in an attempt to land on the solid beneath… In other words, goodbye drone.

I fly an MA2, and if you look at the flights on my YouTube channel, I would say greater than 95% of them are over surf, lakes, reservoirs, rivers, and rough ocean coastline. Never had a single issue over more than a year now. (Touch wood) ? I know the day will come when I get to low or make a silly mistake and lose it in the drink. I do know however, I have little chance of hitting a tree! ?. Go fly over the swamp and enjoy yourself!

Reactions: MARK (LI)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum