DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the Mavic under controlled airspace

aztecflyer

Reactions
I live on Menorca in the Balearic's and the whole island sits under Menorca's Class A airspace from the surface upwards. Can somebody tell me if the Mavic will stop me flying because the GPS will detect that I am located in Class A. I have no intention of breaking any rules and would not want to fly the drone very high on the island, but would just like to know if it will let me fly it at all? Thanks in advance.

I live on Menorca in the Balearic's and the whole island sits under Menorca's Class A airspace from the surface upwards. Can somebody tell me if the Mavic will stop me flying because the GPS will detect that I am located in Class A. I have no intention of breaking any rules and would not want to fly the drone very high on the island, but would just like to know if it will let me fly it at all? Thanks in advance.
If you look on the map ln the DJI app what color is it?

I would just try to take off from your own home. You will know immediately if the motors do not start! That is what happened to me when I tried to fly in a very heavily militarized zone (Florida Panhandle with multiple military bases and airfields). The motors simply would not even start up due to geo-fencing.

The Flysafe Map only seems to have the typcial airport restrictions

1596639823290.png

WELCOME to the forum :)

If it's Class A Surface Upwards you'll be violating your Aviation Authority's Airspace if you fly at all.

WELCOME to the forum :)

If it's Class A Surface Upwards you'll be violating your Aviation Authority's Airspace if you fly at all.
You can answer your own question very easily- Just try to take off! I did that once and the drone would not even turn on in restricted space.

You can answer your own question very easily- Just try to take off! I did that once and the drone would not even turn on in restricted space.
Bad idea. DJI will let you takeoff and controlled airspace because their maps are way off.

Bad idea. DJI will let you takeoff and controlled airspace because their maps are way off.
I did not experience that. I was in an area of North Florida surrounded by military bases and airfields (Eglin AFB and Hurlburt Field) . I just wanted to hover over the house I was in. No matter what I did , the Mavic Air (1) would not start up. Dead as a doornail.

I did not experience that. I was in an area of North Florida surrounded by military bases and airfields (Eglin AFB and Hurlburt Field) . I just wanted to hover over the house I was in. No matter what I did , the Mavic Air (1) would not start up. Dead as a doornail.
It’s not always wrong but sometimes it is do you wanna bet on it or you want to check a real authoritative source

It’s not always wrong but sometimes it is do you wanna bet on it or you want to check a real authoritative source
I am sure that according to the geo-fencing I should not have been able to turn on the drone, let alone fly it. My Air Map. shows me a nice big red triangle. I was not able to start the drone until I got on route 399 (see attachment) on the seashore was I able to fly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 4.52.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 4.52.29 PM.png
    343.8 KB · Views: 6
I am sure that according to the geo-fencing I should not have been able to turn on the drone, let alone fly it. My Air Map. shows me a nice big red triangle. I was not able to start the drone until I got on route 399 (see attachment) on the seashore was I able to fly.
OK well I have experienced that.DJI was all too willing to let me takeoff in a class D airspace that was 0 feet on the FAA map.
My point is don’t trust DJI

OK well I have experienced that.DJI was all too willing to let me takeoff in a class D airspace that was 0 feet on the FAA map.
My point is don’t trust DJI

I've posted this a couple of times in the forum, but it is probably worth repeating. DJI's flysafe maps and what DJI allows you to do ARE NOT THE GOVERNING AUTHORITY'S MAPS.

Thy Flysafe map is seems designed to generally keep you away from manned aircraft and to enforce some temporary and some permanent no fly zones (But not necessarily all of them) That why near airports they have the shape that extends from the runways, so if you are not in a flight path, flysafe may not warn you even if you are in controlled space. Likewise, even if you are not in controlled space, or won't be at your altitude, you may still be in a warning/prioritization zone if you are in the regular flight path. While in many places it will match a governing body's airspace, it isn't intended to exactly mimic it.

If you want to know if it is legal to fly where you are, DJI's flysafe is not the answer, and it doesn't pretend to be. On the flysafe website they specifically say " The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you."

Use Flysafe to plan the flight and see if you need to unlock for the drone to takeoff technically. Find another source to know if legally you are allowed to fly.

This may change in the future if DJI does become a LAANC provider as they were approved to be, but for now you unfortunately have to check 2 places to determine if you can legally fly and if you can technically fly.

Indeed. The DJI map is worse than useless worldwide. It has so much missing it'll easily allow you to fly illegally completely unknowingly (and the law doesnt care about that).
For example remember spain is 5 miles from airports (DJI doesn't show it) and not national parks (also now shown). Each region can also set its own restrictions so its really worth finding out where you go.

Dont fly over beaches if they're busy (150m rule same as most of europe), 50m from people and buildings in general etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde