DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying VLOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, US law requires you to fly VLOS if you're flying as a hobbyist.

From what I've read you can also have a VO (Visual Observer) that you are in radio audio contact with that can see your drone if you fly further away than VLOS from your location. Once your past about 1600 ft it's so small you can barely make it out at best so everyone flys using FPV which is like having blinders on a horse with no peripheral vision. A plane could be approaching from behind you and you'd never know it.

From what I've read you can also have a VO (Visual Observer) that you are in radio audio contact with that can see your drone if you fly further away than VLOS from your location
You'd definitely have to be flying under Part 107 rules to be able to use a VO.

You'd definitely have to be flying under Part 107 rules to be able to use a VO.

Yes for sure... As a hobbyist you always are required to fly VLOS but you can still have a VO as an assistant if you are flying FPV.

Reactions: Former Member
From what I've read you can also have a VO (Visual Observer) that you are in radio audio contact with that can see your drone if you fly further away than VLOS from your location. Once your past about 1600 ft it's so small you can barely make it out at best so everyone flys using FPV which is like having blinders on a horse with no peripheral vision. A plane could be approaching from behind you and you'd never know it.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yes for sure... As a hobbyist you always are required to fly VLOS but you can still have a VO as an assistant if you are flying FPV.
If you're flying as a hobbyist, it actually means you need to keep your eyes on the aircraft at all times. A VO is not allowed to maintain VLOS for you while you have goggles covering your eyes.

US law states the aircraft must be "flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft". See more details here.

Reactions: dirkclod
Can you cite your source?

I don't fly with goggles, my FPV is my ipad so yes I can look up and see my drone. My wife is my VO when I'm flying looking down at my ipad. Hope that clears up what I meant in my earlier statements. This complies with all AMA requirements.

Reactions: Former Member
I don't fly with goggles, my FPV is my ipad so yes I can look up and see my drone. My wife is my VO when I'm flying looking down at my ipad. Hope that clears up what I meant in my earlier statements. This complies with all AMA requirements.
Got it. FWIW, I was replying to what you said in post #4 above about flying FPV beyond VLOS. That's obviously not allowed per US law.

Can you cite your source?

Sure can, in fact, it's from your link:

Under the terms of the Act, a model aircraft is defined as “an unmanned aircraft” that is “

(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft

"Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft" means that the person flying must be "able" to see it, but does not need to be "watching" it. A Visual Observer can "watch it" for you. In fact, Visual observers are a valuable resource when flying SAR, or other activities that would cause you to want someone else there to help you manage your situational awareness. It's easy to become distracted by kids, dogs, onlookers, or anything else.

Examples of flying outside of VLOS would be:

1. you can not fly below the tree line that would obscure your line of sight.
  2. You cant fly behind a building.
  3. You cant fly beyond the horizon.
  4. You cant fly from inside your van if it doesnt have a window

Got it. FWIW, I was replying to what you said in post #4 above about flying FPV beyond VLOS. That's obviously not allowed per US law.

I agree and it also would not be conveyed quickly enough by a VO to the PiC in order to avoid a possible obstacle approaching from the sides or behind the FPV vision.

"Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft" means that the person flying must be "able" to see it, but does not need to be "watching" it. A Visual Observer can "watch it." In fact, Visual observers are avluable resource when flying SAR, or other activities that would cause you to want someone else there to help you manage your situational awareness.
See post #4 above. @MavicMikeK wasn't talking about this (not originally anyhow). While you're correct, you're onto a completely different topic.

Im so glad we are discussing visual observers. They can serve as your "second set of eyes" and if they are also pilots, they can do a quick 2nd preflight of your drone.

I believe the OP has gotten his answer so no need for this to keep on .

Reactions: msinger
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet