DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with no service

Leonardo

Reactions
Quick question, I will be taking my mavic to the dry tortugas and there is absolutely no cell reception down there at all. Will I be able to fly the drone? if so, is there anything i should take into account?

Thanks in advanced!!

Yes, you can fly with no cell reception. You'll need to cache the maps if you want to be able to see them while flying.

So is it to be understood that you do not need a device with actual cell service at all to accurately fly the Mavic. All the GPS/RTH features still work?

The actual Map is just for visual reference/representation?

Ive been flying mine with no cell service on the device, but wasn't sure if I was inadvertently in some other 'flying mode' and didn't realize it

is it to be understood that you do not need a device with actual cell service at all to accurately fly the Mavic
Yes.

All the GPS/RTH features still work?
You will not be able to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS and RTH related features will work.

The actual Map is just for visual reference/representation?
Yes.

Nice... thanks for the info. Makes perfect sense.

Except the 'FollowMe' ... is that not 'visual' via the camera?

Yes, that's how ActiveTrack works. You can still use the ActiveTrack modes without GPS on your mobile device.

So... how does 'FollowMe' work? Matches Mavic GPS position with Controller GPS position?.. basically GPStrac rather than 'visual'trac?

Yes -- which can sometimes be a problem when the GPS positions don't agree with one another.

Me too.. Glad to know I don't need an expensive iPad mini. Just need a basic used unit to have a bigger display to dedicate to Mavic duties

Good idea to cache the maps for the area you are going to, makes it nice to be able to see where you are in reference to where you took off.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaVVT