DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying your drone 1 to 2 miles away during the day ! : The Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly only for recreational purposes (enjoyment).
  2. Follow the safety guidelines of an FAA-recognized Community Based Organization (CBO).
    Note: We have not yet begun officially recognizing CBOs. Recreational flyers are directed to follow the safety guidelines of existing aeromodeling organizations or use the FAA provided safety guidelines per Advisory Circular 91-57B.
  3. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  4. Give way to and do not interfere with manned aircraft.
  5. Fly at or below 400' in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E) only with prior authorization by using LAANC or DroneZone.
  6. Fly at or below 400 feet in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace.
    Note: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app or the UAS Facility Maps webpage.
  7. Take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) and carry proof of test passage (coming soon).
  8. Have a current registration, mark (PDF) your drones on the outside with the registration number, and carry proof of registration with you.
  9. Do not operate your drone in a dangerous manner. For example:
    1. Do not interfere with emergency response or law enforcement activities.
    2. Do not fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Just my take and a observation of the actual "rules", excluding what ifs and all that, but as he is flying within guidelines as they are presented as of now IMHO. But will be informed and corrected if someone can show any exclusion or incite with fact. ;) I will also state that I find no reason why one would want to conduct such "tests" or sight seeing flight, nor do I condone them :)
THE ACTUAL QUOTED MATERIAL OF SITUATIONAL AWARENESS FROM THE 107 STUDY GUIDE:

Situational Awareness: Situational awareness is the accurate perception and understanding of all the factors and conditions within the five fundamental risk elements (flight, pilot, aircraft, environment, and type of operation that comprise any given aviation situation) that affect safety before, during, and after the flight. Maintaining situational awareness requires an understanding of the relative significance of all flight related factors and their future impact on the flight. When a pilot understands what is going on and has an overview of the total operation, he or she is not fixated on one perceived significant factor. Not only is it important for a pilot to know the aircraft’s geographical location, it is also important he or she understand what is happening. Obstacles to Maintaining Situational Awareness Fatigue, stress, and work overload can cause a pilot to fixate on a single perceived important item and reduce an overall situational awareness of the flight. A contributing factor in many accidents is a distraction that diverts the pilot’s attention from monitoring the aircraft. Workload Management Effective workload management ensures essential operations are accomplished by planning, prioritizing, and sequencing tasks to avoid work overload. As experience is gained, a pilot learns to recognize future workload requirements and can prepare for high workload periods during times of low workload. In addition, a pilot should listen to ATIS, Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS), or Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS), if available, and then monitor the tower frequency or Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) to get a good idea of what traffic conditions to expect.Chapter 10: Aeronautical Decision-Making and Judgment Remote Pilot – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide 64 Recognizing a work overload situation is also an important component of managing workload. The first effect of high workload is that the pilot may be working harder but accomplishing less. As workload increases, attention cannot be devoted to several tasks at one time, and the pilot may begin to focus on one item. When a pilot becomes task saturated, there is no awareness of input from various sources, so decisions may be made on incomplete information and the possibility of error increases. When a work overload situation exists, a pilot needs to stop, think, slow down, and prioritize. It is important to understand how to decrease workload

...and let me repeat....I will take Vic Moss and now the FAA rep as the authority here and combine it with common sense. Anything further is beating a dead horse (or a BVLOS horse).

Now that's a clear explanation from your FAA contact that is also fully consistent with any reasonable reading of Part 107. Nice.
His post seems to have misread the initial post. He is talking about strobing anti collision lights. He is not Talkin about what was originally posted. The original post describes a high intensity aka extremely high constant lumen spot light that is always directed toward the drone launch point and operator. The Position of this high intensity beam is always directed at the operator, indicating the exact orientation or attitude of the drone at all times, and allowing the drone operator to see the drone constantly during flight. As this is a daylight system, it in not an anti collision system. It's for the operator and gives the operator the ability to know the drones attitude at all times, and gives the operator the drones position in the sky and thus giving the operator the ability to see and avoid all on coming aircraft. Also, the piloting situation described, describes the operator being at a 2 story to three story height off a balcony. Thus, giving the operator more of sky visibility surrounding the drone and thus giving adequate time to see and respond to oncoming manned air traffic. This thread, has nothing to do with strobes. They are inadequate in daylight flight.

Nice Job Vic!! All understandable and well presented (oh and official). That said the second verification is "common sense". In the manned aircraft world there are plenty who in effect say ..."Ya but I know better!" Thanks for your effort and your contacts as well.
Yeah, not legal. Lights don’t extend VLOS. You still need situational awareness of the airspace around you.

I strongly suggest no one do this. You will be in violation of VLOS rules, whether you are recreational or non-recreational.

And yes, that is my professional opinion.
It appears the original post may have been misread or misinterpreted. No strobe lights, or anti collision lights were used.. Of course, strobes, in daylight can not perform adequately to increase VLOS. The original post describes a high intensity aka extremely high constant lumen spot light that is always directed toward the drone launch point and operator. The Position of this high intensity beam is always directed at the operator, indicating the exact orientation or attitude of the drone at all times, and allowing the drone operator to see the drone constantly during flight. As this is a daylight system, it in not an anti collision system. It's for the operator and gives the operator the ability to know the drones attitude at all times, and gives the operator the drones position in the sky, at all times, and thus giving the operator the ability to see and avoid all incoming aircraft. Also, the piloting situation described, describes the operator being at a 2 story to three story height off a balcony. Thus, giving the operator more sky visibility surrounding the drone and thus giving adequate time to see and respond to oncoming manned air traffic. This thread, has nothing to do with strobes. They are inadequate in daylight flight.

Boy you shot post # 10 out of the water ?

Reactions: Flycaster
Ha ha ha. I said I was out a ways back also but he is the OP who said that. It is a bad accident and I just had to watch.

It appears the original post may have been misread or misinterpreted. No strobe lights, or anti collision lights were used.. Of course, strobes, in daylight can not perform adequately to increase VLOS. The original post describes a high intensity aka extremely high constant lumen spot light that is always directed toward the drone launch point and operator. The Position of this high intensity beam is always directed at the operator, indicating the exact orientation or attitude of the drone at all times, and allowing the drone operator to see the drone constantly during flight. As this is a daylight system, it in not an anti collision system. It's for the operator and gives the operator the ability to know the drones attitude at all times, and gives the operator the drones position in the sky, at all times, and thus giving the operator the ability to see and avoid all incoming aircraft. Also, the piloting situation described, describes the operator being at a 2 story to three story height off a balcony. Thus, giving the operator more sky visibility surrounding the drone and thus giving adequate time to see and respond to oncoming manned air traffic. This thread, has nothing to do with strobes. They are inadequate in daylight flight.
Agree that distances are smaller... but my ARC2 strobes four in aircraft location colors significantly aid VLOS and identification of drone orientation.

Ha ha ha. I said I was out a ways back also but he is the OP who said that. It is a bad accident and I just had to watch.
Wasn’t referring to your post bro ?

Oops, but I just couldn't resist. Did I overstep? I just couldn't resist.
Lol No you just didn’t do as you posted. Found it funny ?

Lol No you just didn’t do as you posted. Found it funny ?
I was thinking the same. I just didn't realize how much attn this thread would get. I thought it would have been done after our comments to each other. But It took on a life of its own. My posts didn't help matters.

His post seems to have misread the initial post. He is talking about strobing anti collision lights. He is not Talkin about what was originally posted. The original post describes a high intensity aka extremely high constant lumen spot light that is always directed toward the drone launch point and operator. The Position of this high intensity beam is always directed at the operator, indicating the exact orientation or attitude of the drone at all times, and allowing the drone operator to see the drone constantly during flight. As this is a daylight system, it in not an anti collision system. It's for the operator and gives the operator the ability to know the drones attitude at all times, and gives the operator the drones position in the sky and thus giving the operator the ability to see and avoid all on coming aircraft. Also, the piloting situation described, describes the operator being at a 2 story to three story height off a balcony. Thus, giving the operator more of sky visibility surrounding the drone and thus giving adequate time to see and respond to oncoming manned air traffic. This thread, has nothing to do with strobes. They are inadequate in daylight flight.
I think the only misinterpretation going on around here is your own. Even if you can see your high-intensity light at one mile and on that basis claim it tells you the aircraft attitude, you cannot possibly judge relative position and flight path of your drone at that distance with regard to other aircraft that might appear. You are not going to convince anyone with that argument, and certainly not the FAA, so if you want to continue to fly in that manner I would suggest you stop broadcasting it.

I think the only misinterpretation going on around here is your own. Even if you can see your high-intensity light at one mile and on that basis claim it tells you the aircraft attitude, you cannot possibly judge relative position and flight path of your drone at that distance with regard to other aircraft that might appear. You are not going to convince anyone with that argument, and certainly not the FAA, so if you want to continue to fly in that manner I would suggest you stop broadcasting it.
I've done it, don't do it much anymore. But I think you ought to try buying the FENIX G35 and try it yourself. It's 70 u.s dollars. After enough experience doing it, you will notice you can judge situational awareness, distance and drone orientation adequately, to safely fly you drone in low populated areas and away from incoming air traffic. At that distance I have safely avoided aircraft coming toward the drone without any issues. If I have to land, It's going to be in an unpopulated area. It never felt like I was flying blind or with poor orientation. You really can't judge it unless you or a friend try doing it. At first, stay away from areas with known high levels of small aircraft congestion. They fly lower (you already know that). Also stay away from areas with higher than normal helicopter activity, until you are familiar with the area you are in. It's not just about distance, it's about being familiar with the area you fly over and in, at these distances. I took my car out many times and inspected the area thoroughly before pursuing my little experiment. Constant high intensity lights facing you. You can tell your distance, by the reduced intensity as it moves further away. But that takes experience to know light levels relative to distance.

P.S. I talked with the local airport representatives. They said it was ok with them, as long as I feel comfortable enough to perform see and avoid procedures. They also said, keep in mind, that if "you do have an accident, it's you fault" and you will have to face the consequences. Oh, my police friends said the same thing. SO yeah, I am a little hesitant to fly that way to often.

My VLOS range is about 1800 feet to 2400 feet away. Really all depends if it's a clear sunny day or cloudy day. Also at that distance if you take your eye off your drone to look at your screen or something and then go back to looking at your drone most of the time you lose sight of it unless you have some kind of landmark as a reference.

My VLOS range is about 1800 feet to 2400 feet away. Really all depends if it's a clear sunny day or cloudy day. Also at that distance if you take your eye off your drone to look at your screen or something and then go back to looking at your drone most of the time you lose sight of it unless you have some kind of landmark as a reference.
With my DIY lighting, I can't seem to lose sight of it. It flashes light a bright star when I wobble the drone forward and backward, It stands out like a sore thumb. I can't imagine what people in the direct line of site think it is. AHHHH, It's an orb ufo!

• Haha
Reactions: In The Zone
I would be curious to see if you sent your flight(s) habits/parameters that you engage in to an FAA rep, and see what THEY think.....

I would be curious to see if you sent your flight(s) habits/parameters that you engage in to an FAA rep, and see what THEY think.....
I've talked with the local police. They did have concerns, but we talked and I actually showed them the light in action, they looked dumbfounded. They didn't see a VLOS infringement. If they did I would assume they would get the FAA involved. They never called the FAA. I was even to tell them my approximate position relative to ground businesses and homes. I can tell where I am, by light intensity. That's from driving around and becoming very familiar with the area.

I've talked with the local police. They did have concerns, but we talked and I actually showed them the light in action, they looked dumbfounded. They didn't see a VLOS infringement. If they did I would assume they would get the FAA involved. They never called the FAA.
That wasn't the question though. Successfully dumbfounding local LE is not a reliable indicator of FAA compliance. You have already engaged an FAA rep and been told it was not compliant.

That wasn't the question though. Successfully dumbfounding local LE is not a reliable indicator of FAA compliance. You have already engaged an FAA rep and been told it was not compliant.
I was even to tell them my approximate position relative to ground businesses and homes. I can tell where I am, by light intensity. That's from driving around and becoming very familiar with the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan