DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fog?

..he would have his license revoked and/or crash his aircraft.

(IF the pilot did not crash and, did not get caught) :)

I'd bet there have been hundreds if not thousands of documented aviation fatalities where someone with only a Private ticket flew into IFR conditions and lost control of the aircraft. JFK Junior comes to mind. No doubt there have been an equal or greater number who managed to get back to visual conditions and land safely. Aside from the problem of moisture and airframe icing and despite the fact that you basically have a full-time autopilot with a Mavic, I would suggest that one follow the advice of Thunderdrones and others. Always maintain VLOS and stay away from moisture, regardless of the OAT.

Reactions: Former Member
(IF the pilot did not crash and, did not get caught) :)

I'd bet there have been hundreds if not thousands of documented aviation fatalities where someone with only a Private ticket flew into IFR conditions and lost control of the aircraft. JFK Junior comes to mind. No doubt there have been an equal or greater number who managed to get back to visual conditions and land safely. Aside from the problem of moisture and airframe icing and despite the fact that you basically have a full-time autopilot with a Mavic, I would suggest that one follow the advice of Thunderdrones and others. Always maintain VLOS and stay away from moisture, regardless of the OAT.

Great point. Sad day when he went missing.

Some Mavic pilots go into the fog not realizing what IFR is. If you combine being a new pilot, flying a complex aircraft, an overconfidence in ones abilities, and a goal of "getting the shot" despite the risks involved, it's a recipe for disaster.

I trained for IFR with my dad in full scale aircraft using a hood which wouldnt allow me to see the attitude of the aircraft, the wingtip (which was vital to see the attitude), or the horizon. I had no choice but to fly by instruments only. Every time we went flying, he made me wear the hood. Even after years of wearing the hood, the first time I went IFR without the hood, I forgot everything he taught me. Rolled the A/C, almost stalled it, almost spun it. Dad got a good laugh that day and quickly recovered the plane, and I learned a valuable lesson. Even after practicing for countless hours, the real thing is not as easy as you think it will be. A newbie who loses VLOS in the fog has no idea what he got himself in to.

Beautiful pic! Moisture from the fog is maybe my biggest concern. If I go straight vertical and am not out of it within 400FT I'm bringing it straight back down. If I detect any moisture I'm going to let it sit with the props turning till the heat and propwash dry it off.

Spinning props cool down as the low pressure (that provides lift) cools the air passing over them. The humidity and droplet size also has effect on the icing. The ambient temp can be several degrees above freezing and icing can still occur.
Check out this link:
Aircraft Icing

Have fun and fly safely.

Spinning props cool down as the low pressure (that provides lift) cools the air passing over them. The humidity and droplet size also has effect on the icing. The ambient temp can be several degrees above freezing and icing can still occur.
Check out this link:
Aircraft Icing

Have fun and fly safely.

Good point. Thats another thing people dont even think about when flying in fog.

My next torture test of a Mavic will be to put my props in an ice tray and then see how Mavic Prop icing can affect stability. No joke. Just a think layer of ice should do the trick. Might be enough to throw the props off balance.

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
Another thought.
If you go straight up, and IF your props ice up, your Mavic might well "Return To Home" very quickly. Straight down.
You would not want to be below it if it does and, since it will not be visible, you may not know if you are.

Good point. Thats another thing people dont even think about when flying in fog.

My next torture test of a Mavic will be to put my props in an ice tray and then see how Mavic Prop icing can affect stability. No joke. Just a think layer of ice should do the trick. Might be enough to throw the props off balance.

Stability due to imbalance probably wouldn't be an issue as the icing would be evenly distributed. Loss of lift due to change in aerodynamic properties of the props would bring down the craft.

Stability due to imbalance probably wouldn't be an issue as the icing would be evenly distributed. Loss of lift due to change in aerodynamic properties of the props would bring down the craft.
How about if the icing just accumulated on one of the two blades? Possible?

I want to thank all the competent and experienced flyers on here for their opinions and suggestions. The reason I posted the OP was because I wanted to know what some of you might know that I had not thought of. That is why if you notice in the OP I said I was contemplating it and asked for your advice. I never disagreed on here with any of your opinions or argued with them. After reading some of the sage advice I received from pilots like Thunderdrones, Ken K and Anothermavicpilot I realize that the reward of a nice video would not outweigh the risk of losing my number 1 toy and new hobby. I can't thank you all enough for helping me out with this. That's one reason I enjoy this forum. I can learn from people that have a depth of experience and knowledge that I one day hope to attain.
Thanks again
Bill

Possible but IMHO unlikely unless some of the ice broke off before loss of lift or unless one or more of the props was coated with something that prevented the ice from forming.
See prop icing photos here:
Crashed from 200ft (60m). How to avoid it next time? What happend exactly?
and here:
Mavic Air Prop Icing
Aside from glycol, what could a pilot do to prevent icing on the mavic in the 1st place? Do you think something like WD40 would help prevent it? Rubbing some antifreeze on the blades?

I want to thank all the competent and experienced flyers on here for their opinions and suggestions. The reason I posted the OP was because I wanted to know what some of you might know that I had not thought of. That is why if you notice in the OP I said I was contemplating it and asked for your advice. I never disagreed on here with any of your opinions or argued with them. After reading some of the sage advice I received from pilots like Thunderdrones, Ken K and Anothermavicpilot I realize that the reward of a nice video would not outweigh the risk of losing my number 1 toy and new hobby. I can't thank you all enough for helping me out with this. That's one reason I enjoy this forum. I can learn from people that have a depth of experience and knowledge that I one day hope to attain.
Thanks again
Bill
That's what we're here for.

We have your best interests at heart.

Reactions: clovis09 and Ken K
Keep in mind that "fog" isn't needed for icing to occur. Humidity, ambient temp, dew point, air speed, droplet size, etc all play a role.

Also, it's not just the props but the cooling vents, gimbal, and sensors are also vulnerable, especially if the craft is in lateral motion.

Aside from glycol, what could a pilot do to prevent icing on the mavic in the 1st place? Do you think something like WD40 would help prevent it? Rubbing some antifreeze on the blades?

Google is probably your best bet for an answer as there are many to choose from. Some suggest rubbing a slice of potato into the props will work. (Haven't tried it).

In any event, I wouldn't use WD40 on anything, let alone my Mavic. The solvents it contains can be very destructive.
(I once wiped several hand tools with it as I'd heard it would prevent rust. Within a few days the tools were so rusty they had to be tossed. The solvents had removed protective coating. )

Great point. Sad day when he went missing.

Yes, it was Rob, but from the perspective of someone who (at the time,) was flying for a living, it just made me shake my head. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

He was in a high performance, single-engine Piper Saratoga, no doubt with every bell and whistle that Piper had to sell, and yet he still lost control BECAUSE he could not fly on instruments alone Worse, he did so after dark knowing the enroute weather wasn't very good. And you are correct when you say most drone pilots do not understand instrument conditions. I too have flown with a couple different "hoods." The first was in a T-28 and the hood covered the entire rear cockpit. We also trained in non-motion Link "simulators" which were very helpful even without motion. When I moved to twin-engine training in a Kingair, we did use the old plastic hood. However, today's simulators are so realistic that you forget you're in a box and they have completely removed the need to learn to fly a given aircraft while IN the aircraft. You can get a rating by simply passing a checkride in the box. Yes, you still have to fly with a check airman a bit before you can solo as captain. For almost thirty years, I had to be semi-annually checked "in the box" and I'm here to tell you that I never came out without the back of my shirt being soaked with sweat.

Thoroughly enjoyed your description of flying with your Dad...it sounds like he and I had a lot in common as I used to do those type things with Navy students :)

..it's a recipe for disaster.

That is the perfect statement to describe the issue, Rob.

Yes, it was Rob, but from the perspective of someone who (at the time,) was flying for a living, it just made me shake my head. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

He was in a high performance, single-engine Piper Saratoga, no doubt with every bell and whistle that Piper had to sell, and yet he still lost control BECAUSE he could not fly on instruments alone Worse, he did so after dark knowing the enroute weather wasn't very good. And you are correct when you say most drone pilots do not understand instrument conditions. I too have flown with a couple different "hoods." The first was in a T-28 and the hood covered the entire rear cockpit. We also trained in non-motion Link "simulators" which were very helpful even without motion. When I moved to twin-engine training in a Kingair, we did use the old plastic hood. However, today's simulators are so realistic that you forget you're in a box and they have completely removed the need to learn to fly a given aircraft while IN the aircraft. You can get a rating by simply passing a checkride in the box. Yes, you still have to fly with a check airman a bit before you can solo as captain. For almost thirty years, I had to be semi-annually checked "in the box" and I'm here to tell you that I never came out without the back of my shirt being soaked with sweat.

Thoroughly enjoyed your description of flying with your Dad...it sounds like he and I had a lot in common as I used to do those type things with Navy students :)

That is the perfect statement to describe the issue, Rob.

Funny how a sim can make you more terrified than the real thing. But it's an eye opener!

Thanks again
Bill

Well done you for thinking before you act and for asking for advice. It's so easy to overlook potential hazards when flying.

I still get nervous when I take my drone out, I think that's a good thing and it allows me to think twice about my actions.

Thumbswayup

I guess the summary of this is, if there's possibility of icing, or high moisture content, then best not to attempt it.
My own personal experience was I did fly above a fog, but there was no risk of icing on my props. I didn't expect moisture was going to be a big issue, since the drone would be warm while flying, so less chance of condensation.
I did cruise around a bit, as I was above the fog and could see where I was going. It was above an open field and I had flown over the same area almost every weekend, and I didn't fly too far. By the time I was ready to descend, most of the fog had cleared.
Downward sensor was already off, since I mostly hand catch. Forward sensor didn't pick up anything while I ascended straight up.
I don't have a pilot's license and can't fly a plane. Skimming by drone over the fog was the closing I'll get to feel like skimming above the clouds, without the risks.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent