DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Former P3P Owner, How bad is DJI App now?

asr10user

Reactions
So I recently sold my P3 Pro in hopes of getting a Mavic Pro. However, When selling my P3P, a few people insisted the P3 was the best gen of DJI drones, and using the P4/Mavic app now has lots of warnings/crippled flight.

How true is this? I spent some time today browsing the forum, looks like lots of you dont run any updates because updates seem to harm things. I am worried because if I get a Mavic now, it will likely be on whatever is the most current version.

I live in Los Angeles and did not experience any issues with geofencing with the P3P, but I am worried this will change with the Mavic.

On a sidenote, I am also considering going the cheap/dont care route and getting a 3DR solo instead. But browsing that forum shows there are still lots of issues with the Solo as well.

Browsing any forum will make you think that there are a lot of problems with whatever the topic of the forum is, since people look to forums (in general) when they have problems.

Don't let that scare you.

So I recently sold my P3 Pro in hopes of getting a Mavic Pro. However, When selling my P3P, a few people insisted the P3 was the best gen of DJI drones, and using the P4/Mavic app now has lots of warnings/crippled flight.

How true is this? I spent some time today browsing the forum, looks like lots of you dont run any updates because updates seem to harm things. I am worried because if I get a Mavic now, it will likely be on whatever is the most current version.

I live in Los Angeles and did not experience any issues with geofencing with the P3P, but I am worried this will change with the Mavic.

On a sidenote, I am also considering going the cheap/dont care route and getting a 3DR solo instead. But browsing that forum shows there are still lots of issues with the Solo as well.

I'm one of those experiencing some issues with the most recent updates. I won't speak for everyone but I have been having some issues with my device. Most have no issues at all. Knowing what I'm going through I would stay away from the iPad mini 2.

Lots of variables here.

Android or iOS?
What device?
What version of firmware on the Mavic?

Android works fine for me on Marshmallow, terrible on Nougat. iOS never had one crash. I don't have any issue with NFZ but if you do, your Mavic needs to be on a lower firmware and ideally combined with an Android device.

I bought a Samsung Tab2 dedicated to flying so I have a nice big screen and full control of my app / drone. Other than that, I'm a bit of iOS fan.

Good decision. The Mavic is much easier to fly than the P series and takes up 1/3 the space and cheaper batteries.
Chances are much better that you'll have absolutely no issues with firmware.
If I may suggest, get the DJI care and fly it with peace of mind. It takes a little bit of the terror out of flying. That's the most convenient insurance but there are others if you want to do the research.
Congrats and Enjoy your new drone, brother.

I can't agree more get insurance of some sort and just fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne