DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Free Drone? After sending one back???

lcalvin36!

Reactions
Hello

We sent back a drone about 2 weeks ago. It shows confirmation that it was received.

Has anyone ever received a new drone few weeks later? Like free? Am I missing something. The UPS just dropped the same drone off. ????? Husband is saying he didn't purchase another one. 🙄 I'm trying to find out if this has happened to others. Or if my husband is straight up lying to me and bought another one.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Calvin

Reactions: Torque
Not enough information.
Why was it sent back?
Covered by the very expensive DJI care refresh program?
Did you check to see if you now have a different serial number from what was sent?
Serial numbers can be found on the aircraft and also on the original box from DJI.

Sent back to whom, DJI?
Sent back as in "returned for a refund?"

Check the laws, free stuff sent to you in error I don't believe you're under any obligation to return it, although you may want to nice about it.

Reactions: bitsbytes
Sent back to whom, DJI?
Sent back as in "returned for a refund?"

Check the laws, free stuff sent to you in error I don't believe you're under any obligation to return it, although you may want to nice about it.
That would be cool but that only applies if you have made a verifiable effort to contact both parties and they cannot or will not take responsibility for the package.
I think I would defiantly try her out in sport mode awhile before sending it back though!

Reactions: SWTSU and Torque
That would be cool but that only applies if you have made a verifiable effort to contact both parties and they cannot or will not take responsibility for the package.
I think I would defiantly try her out in sport mode awhile before sending it back though!
And if they/you crash and wreck the drone whilst playing, what then, perhaps get billed for the drone or its repair cost?

A friend sent his Mavic 2 Zoom Enterprise in to DJI for a camera repair and received a new Mavic 2 Zoom Enterprise in around 2 weeks. We don't understand why they couldn't have just repaired the camera instead of replacing the drone.

Might that be down to economics? It perhaps being more efficient to send out a new one rather than have the customer waiting whilst the original is in a repair queue, then send a group of waiting-to-be-repaired-drones to the 'repair shop' which might be somewhere with cheaper wages?

We don't understand why they couldn't have just repaired the camera instead of replacing the drone.
Would your friend rather have waited 2+ months for the original to be repaired?

Also, the refurb he received back was probably tested, as opposed to the first one which was straight off the assembly line and into the box.

To the OP - not enough info to answer any of your questions. Also, sounds like you don't trust your husband much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
A friend sent his Mavic 2 Zoom Enterprise in to DJI for a camera repair and received a new Mavic 2 Zoom Enterprise in around 2 weeks. We don't understand why they couldn't have just repaired the camera instead of replacing the drone.
It’s called time. Easier and quicker for them to send something out than spend the time to repair while the customer is hanging on waiting for something to get back to his hands. His repaired aircraft will at that point get put in the repair basket which then turns into a refurb and sent out to someone else at a later time.

Would your friend rather have waited 2+ months for the original to be repaired?

Also, the refurb he received back was probably tested, as opposed to the first one which was straight off the assembly line and into the box.

To the OP - not enough info to answer any of your questions. Also, sounds like you don't trust your husband much.
Pretty sure all new drones produced on the factory line are fully tested to make sure everything works and their testing capabilities on the factory line are greater than anything that can be achieved at a refurb facility. No way can DJI afford to manufacture a new drone and just put it in a box since there is so much flashing and calibrating and aligning and other quality type issues to deal with. Anything that doesn't pass is set aside and reworked (if they can).

Might that be down to economics? It perhaps being more efficient to send out a new one rather than have the customer waiting whilst the original is in a repair queue, then send a group of waiting-to-be-repaired-drones to the 'repair shop' which might be somewhere with cheaper wages?
I sent my Mini 3 Pro for repair after it crashed in Active Track mode. Just following a person at a farm, they stopped but the drone didn't and it crashed into a barn. DJI charged me ÂŁ80 for a repair but sent me a brand new one in a sealed box

Your husband just received a refurbished drone to replace the one he sent in for repairs.
This has happened twice to me, sent in my drone for repairs, received a new refurbished drone back.

I think the DJI FPV drone that is on its way back to me MIGHT be the first drone that they've actually repaired insted of replace. I'll see when it arrives back to me this coming Monday.

Pretty sure all new drones produced on the factory line are fully tested to make sure everything works and their testing capabilities on the factory line are greater than anything that can be achieved at a refurb facility. No way can DJI afford to manufacture a new drone and just put it in a box since there is so much flashing and calibrating and aligning and other quality type issues to deal with. Anything that doesn't pass is set aside and reworked (if they can).
I'm glad you're pretty sure of that, makes me feel a lot better. And it sure sounds a lot better than what I had.

I'm glad you're pretty sure of that, makes me feel a lot better. And it sure sounds a lot better than what I had.
As you know, everything changes on a daily or weekly basis....so you never know for sure what people are doing these days. I've never personally been on the inside of a DJI factory but they're a big company and if other companies are doing it, you can be "pretty sure" DJI is doing it. I have first hand knowledge in some other factories and refurb houses so I can only generalize. This is a short clip but it gives you an idea:

Reactions: careless
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Yes, it is very
possible.

My Mini 2 experience was the same- Sent in for damage related to a RTH snafu(admitted user error). A few days later, DJI emailed me a quote for $77. for the labor and broken off backdoor, everything else covered under warranty. I paid the $77. and was sent a brand new drone(all factory stickers in place, different s/n). I mean, I'm incredibly fortunate enough and happy with the outcome, but VERY confusing.

EDIT- Grammar

My refurbished drones all appear brand new. They arrive sealed in a new box, new packaging and they all have that new drone smell (ok, I made that part up), but you can easily tell if your "new" drone is truly New, or just newly refurbished by the serial number.
All Refurbished DJI drones have a unique serial number that differentiates them from new DJI drones. The tenth character on the serial number or the fifth letter from the last will have an “S” or “R” for refurbished DJI drones. The serial number can be found on the box and battery compartment of any DJI drone. All refurbished drones are treated as new by DJI when it comes to warranty protection, etc. However the "renewed" drones sold by Amazon and a few other 3rd party sellers are not the same as refurbished, and I don't think you can purchase Care Refresh for a "renewed" drone like you can for a refurbished drone.

Reactions: Cafguy
My refurbished drones all appear brand new. They arrive sealed in a new box, new packaging and they all have that new drone smell (ok, I made that part up), but you can easily tell if your "new" drone is truly New, or just newly refurbished by the serial number.
All Refurbished DJI drones have a unique serial number that differentiates them from new DJI drones. The tenth character on the serial number or the fifth letter from the last will have an “S” or “R” for refurbished DJI drones. The serial number can be found on the box and battery compartment of any DJI drone. All refurbished drones are treated as new by DJI when it comes to warranty protection, etc. However the "renewed" drones sold by Amazon and a few other 3rd party sellers are not the same as refurbished, and I don't think you can purchase Care Refresh for a "renewed" drone like you can for a refurbished drone.
Any drone that you buy whether it is used or new or refurb or renewed or whatever, if you want Care Refresh then you should use this process if you don't have the traditional 48 hour window from activation available to you: DJI

There are restrictions such as regional and of course, you cannot get Care Refresh if the drone has had it once before. There may be others. DJI Care Refresh is not a losing program for DJI, they seem to want to cover your drones. The video submissions are now simple and easy and straightforward. I once bought a used M2Z and they cover it no problem and I never used it so I guess they made money.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne