DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Galaxy Tab S2

I have the 713 version Brand new --had the same problem finally figured out a way around the issue-

Craft off
controller off
S2 Off-Important
Plug in USB to S2 while off
Start controller
Start Craft
Turn on S2
Connected!

Bingo Works every time

Don't know what has changed but for now this works!!

Jack
Guess I'm super lucky... doesn't work at all for me..

All cables I have work perfectly with note 7. SIGH!!!

I love the screen and size of the s2 8 inch, why do I ALWAYS end up having these kinds of problems!??!

I bought the s2 8 exactly for this darn mavic, after waiting months to actually get the mavic I've got a useless tablet, I've followed all directions in this thread, including wiping it and starting from new with DJI go 4 being the only app installed.

Guess I'll beg amazon to take it back and go get an ipad mini 4

Last edited:
Really wondering about all that different behaviour on various S2 tablets. My SM-T810 9.7" Wifi-only tablet is the most reliable of my three Android devices when it comes to the GO 4 app, both with Android 6.0.1 and the new 7.0 update. Never had a freeze or app crash yet.

Really wondering about all that different behaviour on various S2 tablets. My SM-T810 9.7" Wifi-only tablet is the most reliable of my three Android devices when it comes to the GO 4 app, both with Android 6.0.1 and the new 7.0 update. Never had a freeze or app crash yet.
I agree, same for me very very stable, yet I have not upgraded to 7.0. I almost see my T810 as a dedicated device for my Mavic.

Such a bummer about the T713. I was hoping the Nougat update would fix the connectivity problems, but I guess not. Must be a hardware issue.

returned mine today, s2 710 will be here Wed, will report back.

Last edited:
amazon f'd me and told me they couldn't fulfill the order and then put the one I was supposed to buy back on sale for 35 more.. found another one for even cheaper, will be here next week. SIGH

I got a 713 model S2 last week and my Mavic came in on Monday. I updated the S2 to the latest version of Nougat and did my first flight yesterday. I had great success connecting and even updating the Mavic to the latest FW. I have been simply following the powering on sequence that has been mentioned before: Drone...Controller...Tablet. Its a PITA but it does work.

It fits perfectly into the RC and the screen is gorgeous. My only complaint is that the S2 is drawing power from the RC and is draining it faster than normal.

I got a 713 model S2 last week and my Mavic came in on Monday. I updated the S2 to the latest version of Nougat and did my first flight yesterday. I had great success connecting and even updating the Mavic to the latest FW. I have been simply following the powering on sequence that has been mentioned before: Drone...Controller...Tablet. Its a PITA but it does work.

It fits perfectly into the RC and the screen is gorgeous. My only complaint is that the S2 is drawing power from the RC and is draining it faster than normal.

For the life of me I couldn't get it to work. Dunno why, tried many cables. Yes, it's annoying, I tested the battery drain, it's about 20 % drain every 20 mins.. Hoping someone will invent some adapter that will stop it from doing that.

Got the T710 version of the S2 that is running android 6.01 in today. Plugged it in, no special order of anything, WORKS! No problem at all.

The only issue now is that it auto downloaded the update to android 7 and I don't want it to do it at all!!

Got the T710 version of the S2 that is running android 6.01 in today. Plugged it in, no special order of anything, WORKS! No problem at all.

The only issue now is that it auto downloaded the update to android 7 and I don't want it to do it at all!!
I have the same thing. Just got my tab2 and it works flawlessly. I too received the update but am not installing it. Does anyone know how to get rid of it if you haven't installed it yet.

I'm still having issues, after following the instructions listed here. I've got a T713 8" running Android 7.0. I set the USB to RNDIS and power down. But when I get to the step to power it back up, it goes into MTP mode. Very frustrating.

I just bought the Galaxy Tab S2 (T713 model) off Ebay. I had the same problems as everyone else. I couldn't get the app to connect, while the controller and drone had a excellent link. Switching Cables didn't matter. The Tablet was running Android 6.x. Mean while my Phone ( Google Pixel on Android 7.1 ) never had any problems connecting, yet I would get problems with the App suddenly closing forcing me to reopen mid flight. However I didn't let these issues get in the way. I use a Google Pixel because I prefer the Android OS in its purest form. I was pretty sure the issues with the Tablet had to do with the Stock Samsung ROM. So I spent most of my day going through tutorials to root my tablet, update the recovery to TWRP, and install Lineage 14.2 ( Android 7.1 ) with a bare bones set of google Apps. Loaded up the DJI Go 4 App and it connected without any issue. Flew my drone for a good 15 minutes. No random crashes, no issues. Just perfect. For those of you with the Galaxy Tab S2. I highly recommend you move to a different ROM like I did. I think it will fix everything.

So I spent most of my day going through tutorials to root my tablet, update the recovery to TWRP, and install Lineage 14.2 ( Android 7.1 ) with a bare bones set of google Apps. Loaded up the DJI Go 4 App and it connected without any issue.

Where can I go to learn how to do this to my T713 Tab S2?

[GUIDE][HOW-TO] Root Tab S2 and more
Just a warning If you have never rooted a phone or tablet before, the learning curve is going to be very steep.
That thread was meant for the older models and not the 713. I ended up going through several online tutorials before i got a combination of steps that worked. In the end, If I can remember correctly it went like this
On phone goto settings and expose developer mode ( tab build 7 times )
go into developer mode and disable OEM lock.
use ODIN to push Updated Firmware that is compatible with the ROM ( 1.5GB file )
Use ODIN to push TWRP recovery to device
Use TWRP to flash superuser for root
use TWRP to flash crypt script.
use TWRP to change data partition to EXT3, then change it back to EXT4 again.
Flash ROM
Flash Google Apps package.

It was by far the most difficult process I have ever gone through when it comes to rooting a device.
Just be prepared for this to take a whole day. But in the end it was worth it!

I think it may be a problem with the "new" Tab S2 8.0 model 713. I just received mine today and I could not get a connection. I tried everything. Then I reconnected my S6 Edge Plus and had no problems.

Can anyone running the tab S2 without issue let us know if you have the older 710 model or the new 713. Thanks

I just received my galaxy tab s2 713. Here are my observations:
Edited on 2017-08-01:

1) I could not get the s2/713 to work using the full size USB to micro usb connection. I tried several different cables. In all cases the controller was unable to see the s2/713. As a side note, I have an HTC one M9. It will connect using a full size USB to micro USB BUT has often disconnections. Something is funny with the full size USB connector on the controller.

2) I connected the S2/713 to the controller using the micro usb side cable (that connects to the side of the controller) It is to short, but I did get the 'blinking' use this device dialog box that many have experienced.

3) Using the side connector on the controller, I turned off my S2/713 and turned it back on (as per some comments on the forum. I got a solid 'use this device' dialog box, answered the question and DJI Go 4 started up and found the controller. I did a test flight (awkwardly holding the s2/713) and ran perfectly.

4) I just ordered a micro usb extension cable from Amazon. Will let you know how that works (could not find a longer mavic controller to micro usb cable that would work on the tablet)

5) new info, found thread that referred to the big usb connector indicating that the side connector 'must be removed' even if there is nothing hooked up to it. Once 'removed' the big usb connector worke as per 2,3. I did receive an additional warning about 'slow charging' on the s2/713.

6) ran two 20 minute sessions with the s2/713 and big usb connector. no disconnects. Fabulous screen on the S2.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: lweekspors
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty