DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Galaxy Tab S2

Shame Lineage doesn't have a Marshmallow ROM for the T-713. Lineage Nougat still has GO crashes often but does resolve the flashing USB connection issue so you can plug in and out without rebooting.

I have now gone back to Samsung Marshmallow and the in sequence boot up which gave me no crashes in over 20 flights.

Some one with in depth knowledge could probably create a patch, I imagine, for those of us that are rooted. This would take time and effort by a decent programmer though. I'm surprised it hasn't been done...

Number of people that can patch Android: 100,000
Number of those people with Mavics: 1,000
Number of those people with Tab S3 T-713: 10
Number of those people who care: 0

So why are you surprised? :D

Reactions: lweekspors
Guess I'm super lucky... doesn't work at all for me..

All cables I have work perfectly with note 7. SIGH!!!

I love the screen and size of the s2 8 inch, why do I ALWAYS end up having these kinds of problems!??!

I bought the s2 8 exactly for this darn mavic, after waiting months to actually get the mavic I've got a useless tablet, I've followed all directions in this thread, including wiping it and starting from new with DJI go 4 being the only app installed.

Guess I'll beg amazon to take it back and go get an ipad mini 4
It's ALL about the order, not a big deal, just do it right, go fly. not One problem ever.

I just received my galaxy tab s2 713. Here are my observations:
Edited on 2017-08-01:

1) I could not get the s2/713 to work using the full size USB to micro usb connection. I tried several different cables. In all cases the controller was unable to see the s2/713. As a side note, I have an HTC one M9. It will connect using a full size USB to micro USB BUT has often disconnections. Something is funny with the full size USB connector on the controller.

2) I connected the S2/713 to the controller using the micro usb side cable (that connects to the side of the controller) It is to short, but I did get the 'blinking' use this device dialog box that many have experienced.

3) Using the side connector on the controller, I turned off my S2/713 and turned it back on (as per some comments on the forum. I got a solid 'use this device' dialog box, answered the question and DJI Go 4 started up and found the controller. I did a test flight (awkwardly holding the s2/713) and ran perfectly.

4) I just ordered a micro usb extension cable from Amazon. Will let you know how that works (could not find a longer mavic controller to micro usb cable that would work on the tablet)

5) new info, found thread that referred to the big usb connector indicating that the side connector 'must be removed' even if there is nothing hooked up to it. Once 'removed' the big usb connector worke as per 2,3. I did receive an additional warning about 'slow charging' on the s2/713.

6) ran two 20 minute sessions with the s2/713 and big usb connector. no disconnects. Fabulous screen on the S2.

Hope this helps someone.
YES YES YES, Patience and perseverance. love my 8" S2 Tab screen picture is amazing

Number of people that can patch Android: 100,000
Number of those people with Mavics: 1,000
Number of those people with Tab S3 T-713: 10
Number of those people who care: 0

So why are you surprised? :D

You are forgetting that this causes issues for other peripherals outside the drone world and affects many other Android devices, not just the S2.

I almost bought a S2 713, but after reading all this I save some money and buy a factory refurbished S2 710. I also consider the Ipad Mini 3 128GB, but all the devices that I have are Android...I liked more the idea of saving money and maybe buying another battery.
Is recommended to buy a tablet holder for the control or it is just fine??

I almost bought a S2 713, but after reading all this I save some money and buy a factory refurbished S2 710. I also consider the Ipad Mini 3 128GB, but all the devices that I have are Android...I liked more the idea of saving money and maybe buying another battery.
Is recommended to buy a tablet holder for the control or it is just fine??
I use it without a tablet holder. Just straight on to the controller, much like how you would a smartphone. Fits great.

Reactions: rologti
Is the Galaxy Tab better then the IPad Mini 4 in the sun?? I found my iPad to hard to see outside

The OLED screen is pretty good. Could probably still do with a sun screen if full direct sun though. It's definitly better than my iPad.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I've just sold my S7edge and bought a used Tab S2 815Y as a dedicated tablet for flying. The S7 edge screen is great, but too small, that's why I sold it and get the Tab S2 8". My other devices for flying are iPhone 6+, 7+, and Mini 3. None can compare with the AMOLED screen for bright outdoor sun.

I was also hoping that with the Tab S2, I'll get both the small map window and "radar" window at the same time, like with ipad mini. Unfortunately, with the Tab S2 I got exactly the same screen like on the phone: we have to toggle between radar or map. My question to those of you who use Tab S2 8", do you get the "phone" screen (just one small window on the bottom left corner) or "tablet" screen (2 small windows on the bottom corners)?

BTW with this tablet, I don't need any particular sequence to connet to Go4. I can even open Go4 first before turning on the RC.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I've just sold my S7edge and bought a used Tab S2 815Y as a dedicated tablet for flying. The S7 edge screen is great, but too small, that's why I sold it and get the Tab S2 8". My other devices for flying are iPhone 6+, 7+, and Mini 3. None can compare with the AMOLED screen for bright outdoor sun.

I was also hoping that with the Tab S2, I'll get both the small map window and "radar" window at the same time, like with ipad mini. Unfortunately, with the Tab S2 I got exactly the same screen like on the phone: we have to toggle between radar or map. My question to those of you who use Tab S2 8", do you get the "phone" screen (just one small window on the bottom left corner) or "tablet" screen (2 small windows on the bottom corners)?

BTW with this tablet, I don't need any particular sequence to connet to Go4. I can even open Go4 first before turning on the RC.

Good to know about the compatibility on the tablet - if I need to upgrade from my 713 I'll know which way to go - Thanks!

What is the "radar" display you speak of? I have used DJI GO4 on both IOS (Air2) and Android (TAB2-8) and the main display is either through the drone camera, or the Map (Google or that other stupid one). What's radar display?

In any case - I've never seen a split screen with both showing - but fully ready to be taught yet something else new about the DJI GO 4 App. I'd kill for some kind of comprehensive reference on it that's updated each time the play with the bloody thing.

Good to know about the compatibility on the tablet - if I need to upgrade from my 713 I'll know which way to go - Thanks!

What is the "radar" display you speak of? I have used DJI GO4 on both IOS (Air2) and Android (TAB2-8) and the main display is either through the drone camera, or the Map (Google or that other stupid one). What's radar display?

In any case - I've never seen a split screen with both showing - but fully ready to be taught yet something else new about the DJI GO 4 App. I'd kill for some kind of comprehensive reference on it that's updated each time the play with the bloody thing.
If you are using ipad air/mini, on the bottom left of the Go4 main screen there will be a "radar" display showing you the position of the drone relative to where we are (or motor output in Sport Mode), and on the bottom right there will be the small map window. I was hoping to get the same display with the Tab S2. Instead, I get the same display as when using a phone: one small window only on the bottom left corner that we can toggle between map or "radar". It's not a deal breaker though, just something that is nice to have.

Edit: The correct model no. is T715Y.

Last edited:

Yes, i get both small inset screens/views on my tab t713, touch either one and that screen turns to full size.

Yes, i get both small inset screens/views on my tab t713, touch either one and that screen turns to full size.
Sorry, just to make it clearer: with your Tab S2 T713, you have two inset screens: one on the bottom left for "radar" and one on the bottom right for map? I need clarification because you cannot touch the radar into full screen, only the map.

Do you have to turn on the RC - Device (phone/tablet) - AC in any particular order?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry, just to make it clearer: with your Tab S2 T713, you have two inset screens: one on the bottom left for "radar" and one on the bottom right for map? I need clarification because you cannot touch the radar into full screen, only the map.

Do you have to turn on the RC - Device (phone/tablet) - AC in any particular order?

Thanks!
Yes, two insets. I power on RC first with S2 connected but off, then bird, when connected, then i power on the the tablet. It works every time for me.

Reactions: Dw911
Yes, two insets. I power on RC first with S2 connected but off, then bird, when connected, then i power on the the tablet. It works every time for me.
Thanks for the clarification. I only have one inset with Tab S2 8" T715Y.

As for connection, only for the initial connection I have to turn the RC on first, with the Tab S2 on but Go4 not yet opened. That's to set the Go4 as the default connection for the USB. After that, I can connect without any particular order, just like with ios.

Thanks for the clarification. I only have one inset with Tab S2 8" T715Y.

As for connection, only for the initial connection I have to turn the RC on first, with the Tab S2 on but Go4 not yet opened. That's to set the Go4 as the default connection for the USB. After that, I can connect without any particular order, just like with ios.
so I have to go into advanced settings and change the usb config to usb Ethernet, power off the tab S2, then my sequence. when changing the setting and turning off the tablet it boots to that setting.

Reactions: Dw911 and Porto
Hi, I hope it is ok to revive this.
I have just bought a tab s2 t713 & I knew about the issues. I basically have to do the power up of the tablet last as ppl have mentioned & it works ok but still with the odd crash but luckily it does reconnect without rebooting/powering down.

I knew about this issue beforehand & thought I would just change the os to lineage if it bugged me (still persavering) but my question is what about rolling it back from nougat to marshmallow 6.0.1 where the problem did not seem to be present?

If nobody has tried it then I might be a guinea pig as it would be much easier than changing to lineage OS. Other than that we could all just hope for an update to oreo but from what I have seen it's only a maybe that this will happen & still only a maybe that the problem would be resolved.

If I find out more I will try to keep this updated as this tablet is just so good at everything else & perfect for the android lovers to use if this issue was fixed.

Hi, I hope it is ok to revive this.
I have just bought a tab s2 t713 & I knew about the issues. I basically have to do the power up of the tablet last as ppl have mentioned & it works ok but still with the odd crash but luckily it does reconnect without rebooting/powering down.

I knew about this issue beforehand & thought I would just change the os to lineage if it bugged me (still persavering) but my question is what about rolling it back from nougat to marshmallow 6.0.1 where the problem did not seem to be present?

If nobody has tried it then I might be a guinea pig as it would be much easier than changing to lineage OS. Other than that we could all just hope for an update to oreo but from what I have seen it's only a maybe that this will happen & still only a maybe that the problem would be resolved.

If I find out more I will try to keep this updated as this tablet is just so good at everything else & perfect for the android lovers to use if this issue was fixed.

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0" (SM-T710) and laid down the Poseidon v1.0 ROM. LineageOS ROM only has Beta version for T710. Just did some flight testing with my MavicPro. Put the tablet in Airplane Mode and turned Video Caching off in DJI4 GO app. Ran it through all the QuickShot modes which usually caused the DJI4 GO app to crash. No issues. Ran through multiple iterations and I couldn't get it to crash or lock up. So I then turned Video Caching back on. Doing just regular flying with video recording, app loses connection with MavicPro. RTH and even at close proximity app still says "Aircraft Disconnected". RC was fine and fully functional the entire time. Had to kill the app, unplug USB and re-plug to get it to communicate again. Tried to do a QuickShot mode and the app crashed. Turned Video Caching back off and did another regular flight and a QuickShot and it all worked fine. Confirmed I have plenty of space on my internal storage. Suspect that the Video Caching puts too much overhead on this tablet to keep up. So now I am trying to decide how bad I want that Video Caching which means going to iPad Mini 4 ($$$) or just living with that feature disabled.

BTW, never had a problem with the tablet recognizing when I plugged to USB in from RC. Always asked if I wanted to start DJI GO 4 app with standard Samsung ROM and rooted ROM. Didn't have to do anything special.

BTW2 Going to open source ROM allows you to also get rid of a lot of the Samsung bloatware and kill unnecessary services.

Reactions: cranngel

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots