DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gatwick Airport (UK) suspends flights due to Drone activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously don’t know what people use for brains!! You think that some laws are stick now, but wait! As of this action now Canada and other countries will tighten their belt on this. All you Canadians out there, here is yesterday’s clip from the National Post.....Canada to impose stricter rules for drone operation next year

Thank you for whomever did that ridiculous stunt! It’s brainless people like you who ruin it for the rest!!

I seriously don’t know what people use for brains!! You think that some laws are stick now, but wait! As of this action now Canada and other countries will tighten their belt on this. All you Canadians out there, here is yesterday’s clip from the National Post.....Canada to impose stricter rules for drone operation next year

Thank you for whomever did that ridiculous stunt! It’s brainless people like you who ruin it for the rest!!

It's still not clear what the motive was, but it's not likely to be in the category of brainless people ruining it for everyone else. The drones were a tool to achieve an end, and anyone breaking the law deliberately like this isn't going to have the impact on hobby use very high on their list of concerns.

Shopplng channels are selling cheap disposable drones probably to idiots who have moved on from laser pens!
If you have at all read the news reports, these are commercial heavy duty drones that may be operated by an operator miles away using cell phones instead of the traditional remotes, making a jamer ineffective.

Will the moderator please close this post? 16 pages and counting. I think everything that could be said was said in the first page. I think even the police have finished their investigation with fewer pages.

These "new" laws have been in the works for over a year, they are not a response to any one incident. I do think some of them are unwarranted or just an attempt by Transport Canada to differentiate our laws for our neighbours to the south.

Will the moderator please close this post? 16 pages and counting. I think everything that could be said was said in the first page. I think even the police have finished their investigation with fewer pages.

Alternatively, rather than trying to impose your interests on everyone else, how about you just stop reading this thread?

Drone Guns hasn't the UK heard of them ???Screenshot_20181223-064255_Google.jpg
Used in the States and lately Australia protecting against possibleTerrorism at the Commonwealth Games .

There were pic's in the news reports of Sussex Police with the DroneShield guns (or something that looked a lot like one). They were deployed at the site (I know I saw a pic' but can't find it to refer sorry).

There are DroneGun-like pics (although likely stock ones) in the updated articles in the Sun and Mirror (only looking at these just this time!).

The description and profiles of this couple don't seem to match what I would have imagined to fit. This may not be the whole story...

There are DroneGun-like pics (although likely stock ones) in the updated articles in the Sun and Mirror (only looking at these just this time!).

The description and profiles of this couple don't seem to match what I would have imagined to fit. This may not be the whole story...

Were you expecting them to have horns :).
Ran into a ton of crap on the Mirror site, for those wanting to avoid it -

1545504067913.png

Reactions: Vimana
This is not a legislative matter but a response matter in terms of how can the authorities actively engage rogue aircraft and remove the threat to a given piece of airspace and by extension, the travelling public.

Can't agree more. The "correct" response to this is to mandate that the operators of airfields deploy anti-drone tech appropriate to their size and usage. No amount of legislation, registration, enforced use of transponders, etc. is going to save you from someone who wants to pull off an idiotic stunt like this when you can download plans for a Raspberry Pi powered drone from the Internet.

Of course, politicians being politicians, the UK can absolutely expect some tweaks to the new legislation and mandatory registration / safety test that is due in November next year because they have to be seen to be doing something. I was expecting something like a web-based form with 10 questions on the Drone Code, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if everyone will now have to pay for some kind of "PfCO Lite".

Last edited:

Arrested couple, perhaps. Those actually responsible, maybe not. From the article:

"But his boss insisted he had been working when the drone attacks were taking place and said he would be shocked if he had anything to do with the incident."

Seems like a fairly strong alibi to me, although it's also entirely possible that the wife was making the flights then, or there's someone else involved that is still at large. I think we need to keep an open mind and wait for formal charges and a trial before jumping to any conclusions about guilt here.

Reactions: Clinton1 and Vimana
:)
Ran into a ton of crap on the Mirror site, for those wanting to avoid it -
His boss was the spotter ;)
yes sorry about that for the not so savvy with blocking of junk using advert termination software (of which even this site has a fair amount of)
Edit; Junk blockers; Guaranteed to take back control of the airspace within your browser:cool:
Preview of Disconnect Disconnect
Preview of NoScript Security Suite NoScript Security Suite
Privacy Badger
uBlock Origin

(or did you mean the general value of the content within the publication!:p)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if everyone will now have to pay for some kind of "PfCO Lite".

I really hope it will be very 'lite'.
(The full one is currently looking like around a grand and several days commitment)

Seems like a fairly strong alibi to me

In addition to that, there is a quote that his wife had no interest in drones...
And they look like such a nice happy couple from Crawley (joke).

More seriously though, what seems missing from these reports and interviews is any indication of motivation. It was very clear from the first day that whoever was caught would go down for a very long time. I think there must be some connection here that is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet