DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

sdwingz

Reactions
Fellow Drone Enthusiasts,

I am going to be purchasing DJI Air 2s as my first drone in the very near future(hopefully today) and I was wondering about a couple combinations of insurance options I've researched. One is to get the DJI Refresh on its own. Another option is to go with the Best Buy Geek Squad protection which is more than twice as much. The other option is to go for the two coverages together.

My specific question is whether the Best Buy or DJI refresh would be void if there was additional coverage ie. DJI and geek squad? Additionally, am I only permitted to have one or would it even make sense to get both? Which protection option would you choose and or recommend for a brand new pilot with less than a total of 30 min flight time under his belt?

Thanks in advance for all of the feedback,

SDwingz

DJI Care Refresh is usually enough for new pilots, it can be bought for a year and extended another year if you wish.
The good thing about CR is you can claim a 2nd time for an increased 2nd 'excess' amount.
Most insurance like State Farm are like a normal insurance policy that is completed, once they pay out they cancel the policy after that claim.
The good thing there though is you can claim if your aircraft is not recoverable.

Until fairly recently, you had to have a 'body' to send in and claim DJI CR, they now have a flyaway cover, for a higher 'excess' (co payment).
I'm not sure if that covers you for anything other than a flyaway (maybe not for a crash, or a loss due to battery depletion over ocean etc).

I'm not aware of the Best Buy deal, but the best advice re ANY sort of insurance cover is to read the PDS (product disclosure statement) on the policy to work out if right for you, and the potential loss situations you might face.

Your thread here is good to get peoples experiences on cover differences more readily, so a good way to start the process.

Last edited:
Got to read the fine print from Best Buy and what it covers. Doubtful it would cover loss and no drone to turn in - but I don't deal with Best Buy, nor Geek Squad.

The DJI is fine, but as cheap as State Farm typically is; no reason to spend more for insurance than you have to and DJI is usually more. I never used my "Refresh" I had on my Air2 - but had it before finding State Farm and a few others had drone insurance. Sadly, my carrier - USAA - does not offer it and won't cover under homeowners / etc.

I need to get a policy with the type of flying I do and all the hazards I can incur.

Reactions: Steel63
Greetings welcome to the forum! I've read that Best Buy will replace the drone during the first year with no questons asked

state farm told me i could get coverage only if the aircraft was new and i,ve had dji insurance before the flyway was added in my experiance and from what i,,ve heard i would go with state farm hands down. I,ve had one positive and two negetive with dji

That’s awesome, I was looking into State Farm but they don’t have that personal arrival coverage in California apparently????
That's not good .lol. Yes it covers theft total loss of drone i just renewed for another year I thought that the coverage would be different because the drone is a year old but it's the same .?? good luck and stay safe!

State farm PAP policy was a good thing for me. Just to be clear this policy is not a drone policy it is a personal article's policy and it covers things like jewelry and other personal belongings. I was actually able to file two claims with State farm before they finally sent me the nice letter saying that it was not cost effective for them to cover me any longer but I did make out on the deal in the long run I used to carry both policies from DJI carry fresh and State farm. And the way I see it I am still way ahead of the game after several claims to both.
I was unaware Best buy had a drone coverage so I can't answer to that.