DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

General control questions...while waiting for platinum to arrive in the mail

serpa4

Reactions
I've ordered a new Platinum and have been reading the owners manual. If you have time; I've got questions.

1) How do you more the gimbal (while flying) left and right? I've read on tilting it up/down and also gimbal forward and reverse (manual page 9). I assume gimbal forward and up and down/reverse are the same.
I "think" the 5D button controls pan left and right.

2) If the 5D button cannot pan the gimbal left and right, can the 5D or others buttons be assigned to pan the gimbal left and right?

3) Emergency breaking? Just stops the quad and holds it position?

4) How do you know your home mark on the Mavic is learned/marked and how to you know the phone app had marked it's current position as home? The manual says the GPS icon (satellite and cellphone type strength bars) will blink rapidly when the home point is recorded.
---How do you know your Mavic has updated its home? If the flight status indicator flashes green or double green on the back of it? Or do you have to go into advanced settings every time and select use its current position?

5) What are the differences between the controller's side USB and bottom USB? The bottom one is usually for tablets. Does one or both charge your phone and if so, can charging be disabled? My friend got his mavic yesterday and he doubts he can fly two batteries because his controller was getting down to 60 charge after one 25 min flight. Not sure if his phone was or was not fully charged before flight. I wasn't there.

thanks

1&2. You don't pan the camera, you turn the drone. The pan function is slight, to counteract yaw movement, and only controlable with the goggles head tracking up to 30 degrees.
3. Yes, stops on a dime, unless on cinematic mode.
4. The app audibly tells you, and prompts you to check it on the map.
5. No difference, and iOS devices are not charged by the controller, only Android. It cannot be turned off.

Last edited:
How do you more the gimbal (while flying) left and right?
The gimbal cannot be moved left/right unless you're using the DJI Goggles with the head tracking feature enabled. You'll need to yaw (turn) the aircraft to move the camera left/right.

Emergency breaking? Just stops the quad and holds it position?
As long as the Mavic is not flying in ATTI mode, it will hold its horizontal position when you let go of the sticks. It'll be able to hold its vertical position in any flight mode.

How do you know your home mark on the Mavic is learned/marked
It's best to verify the home point has been set by looking for the "H" symbol on the map in DJI GO. Checking on the map is the best option since it also allows you to see where the home point has been set.

Does one or both charge your phone and if so, can charging be disabled?
There is no setting to enable/disable charging of the mobile device when its connected to the remote controller.

Last edited:
Thanks all!
My Mavic hasn't even shipped yet!!!
So much for the 25th eh.

I've ordered a new Platinum and have been reading the owners manual. If you have time; I've got questions.

1) How do you more the gimbal (while flying) left and right? I've read on tilting it up/down and also gimbal forward and reverse (manual page 9). I assume gimbal forward and up and down/reverse are the same.
I "think" the 5D button controls pan left and right.

2) If the 5D button cannot pan the gimbal left and right, can the 5D or others buttons be assigned to pan the gimbal left and right?

3) Emergency breaking? Just stops the quad and holds it position?

4) How do you know your home mark on the Mavic is learned/marked and how to you know the phone app had marked it's current position as home? The manual says the GPS icon (satellite and cellphone type strength bars) will blink rapidly when the home point is recorded.
---How do you know your Mavic has updated its home? If the flight status indicator flashes green or double green on the back of it? Or do you have to go into advanced settings every time and select use its current position?

5) What are the differences between the controller's side USB and bottom USB? The bottom one is usually for tablets. Does one or both charge your phone and if so, can charging be disabled? My friend got his mavic yesterday and he doubts he can fly two batteries because his controller was getting down to 60 charge after one 25 min flight. Not sure if his phone was or was not fully charged before flight. I wasn't there.

thanks
I'm surprised your friend flies 25 minute flights -- that's really pushing things. I think most people in this community keep their flights to 20-22 minutes to be safe.

I'm also surprised he's using 40% of his charge with that. I get 4 full 22 minute flights out of mine, and have about 10% charge left. The RC is also easy to charge with the type of power bank that many people use as an auxiliary for their phone. Mines an Anker, and can fully recharge both my phone and RC twice on a charge.

If you get the DJI car charger, you can be charging batteries as you drive to different locations too. I've gone through nine full batteries in a day with this setup. There are other options as well, as others here will tell you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998