DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting the public on your side

Wingwalker

Reactions
Hi all, I'm a freelance journalist and drone hobbyist (been flying for around 2 years now). I'm writing an article on the difficulties hobbyists face when out flying, with particular regard to the public's perception of drone users - along with how drones can benefit others as well as bring lots of enjoyment to the pilot. By writing this piece, I'm hoping to try and change the way in which we can be viewed and turn the sport into a more positive light. I would love to hear about your experiences with the public's perceptions regarding the hobby both good and bad. If you are a novice user or a seasoned pro then I'd love to hear from you. Post your comments here or if you wish to chat in private then you can email me at [email protected]

Many thanks in advance.

David.

Last edited:
any piece which doesn't contain the drone community viewpoint would be incomplete. a big consideration regarding public perception has a lot to do with how we perceive our own hobby. in my opinion, there is a significant divide within which must be addressed before the community can take a stand against or for public perception as a whole. unless and until this is acknowledge, we miss out on make real and meaningful progress. unfortunately my thoughts in the area are not shared by many (not surprising) since i am a new hobby flier but i draw from experience in other similar areas. this group doesn't like comparison and we believe drones are unique to the word and nothing else is valid so they nitpick and point out all the differences. if you bring up guns or cars/driving or mobile phones or bicyclist or skateboarding or photography any other hobby you will be told flying is a privilege and not a right and therefore you have to accept what you are being told. there is no fight in this community unless it based in history or fact which is noble but it won't win the fight in this country at this particular time. that's my perspective and opinion on this topic.

The key actions to getting the public on your side is communication. I have sent you an E-Mail.

Hi all, I'm a freelance journalist and drone hobbyist (been flying for around 2 years now). I'm writing an article on the difficulties hobbyists face when out flying, with particular regard to the public's perception of drone users - along with how drones can benefit others as well as bring lots of enjoyment to the pilot. By writing this piece, I'm hoping to try and change the way in which we can be viewed and turn the sport into a more positive light. I would love to hear about your experiences with the public's perceptions regarding the hobby both good and bad. If you are a novice user or a seasoned pro then I'd love to hear from you. Post your comments here or if you wish to chat in private then you can email me at [email protected]

Many thanks in advance.

David.

Sent you en Email : There our times when you have to take off in front of a crowd of people and this can be challenging as you take off and landing our vital to there safety and your flight. One thing that became very clear right away is when your drone hovers in 1 spot for to long it can cause anyone a bit of anxiety , however when your just flying the drone that is not the case.

Depending on how professional your take off is , it can really set the tone for the crowd , and if you hand launch or hand catch , there going to let you know in no certain terms they do not approve. : }

Part of the reason why we created the Lunar Landing Pad so i can look as professional as possible , making everyone feel safe.

Few days ago a helicopter hovered in front of my place on the river for about 30 minutes never moved and it was about 500 ft away , had it been just flying it would have gone un noticed but that hover really caused some stress , turns out there was a pile up on the highway.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

Please read my reply on this topic in the other thread. I greatly enjoy using my Mavic 2 Pro for getting images I need for clients, but there are some major caveats to this and my adopting this technology for use has not been without scrutiny:

Good luck in your compilation and article!

Reactions: mereflyer
Yes, there's a lot of public FUD over drones, but also some curiousity too, so I'd mention some of the public positives to help get across that the article is trying to be fair and balanced. I tend to fly mostly in remote locations, so public perception isn't an issue I deal with that often, but I've had a few people approach me and ask about the drone. I've always engaged them positively, shown them the footage to give them an idea of what they are capable of (e.g. not really a major privacy threat) and even let them take the controls for a bit on occassion. Some of the Drone Search & Rescue (DSAR) flyers here should be able to provide a lot of public positives too.

Ultimately, I think improving the perception of drones is a two-way street for our community. On the one hand, we need to both look outward and try and engage with members of the public and try and communicate what drones can and cannot do, obviously with a focus on the positives. On the other, we need to look inward and try to distance ourselves from those who are giving drones a bad name, and definitely not promoting those who post dangerous/illegal footage, no matter how "cool" it is.

PS. Please post a link to the article when published if it appears on line; would love to read it!

Reactions: mereflyer and KS-6
Depending on how professional your take off is , it can really set the tone for the crowd , and if you hand launch or hand catch , there going to let you know in no certain terms they do not approve. : }

Huh? Quite the opposite effect in my experience. If you're snappy and comfortable with hand launches and recoveries the crowd typically see you as experienced. Never once has someone given me a lecture.

Reactions: Filipok
Huh? Quite the opposite effect in my experience. If you're snappy and comfortable with hand launches and recoveries the crowd typically see you as experienced. Never once has someone given me a lecture.

They are your digits, but I feel it is a bit reckless and sets a bad example to the public in otherwise conducting one's self with expertise and safe operation of the craft.

A temporary equipment malfunction still can lead to a permanent "wardrobe" malfunction...

the biggest problem we have is ourselves,there are two schools of thought in the drone community.

there are those who follow the guidelines laid down with regards to a safe as possible flight,

then there are those who like to push the boundaries and fly outside the guidelines because they can.

and finally there is a third group who think that none of the guidelines apply to them, and will fly any way they want, regardless of the consequences and the harm that they are doing to the drone community as a whole.

and finally most of of the misconceptions about drones come from the biased media reporting that is constantly being fed to the public

I just sent an email to you

People lose their minds when they see one

Something has to give

For now i will wear my OFFICIAL Looking FAA Drone vest...it says REGISTERED which it IS

if it prevents ONE fool coming up on you and getting in your face like i experienced about a month ago it is worth it

Reactions: Classic flyer

Will THIS help ?
I don't know if it will help. I do have one in blue to avoid confuison with emergency crews. If it helps, it is fine, if not, I#m fine too :)

"IT IS NOT LEGALLY REQUIRED TO WEAR A SAFETY VEST WHILE FLYING! However the idea is being tossed around to be passed into law in some states. Some people are against it as it's over kill, other people see it as a way to keep unwanted guests with 21 questions while you're having fun and or working. If you fly for fun or professionally having a vest has its pros. pockets in the front to keep all IDs and large bold letters to keep people away. "

so unnecessary....

Reactions: tmtwomey
"IT IS NOT LEGALLY REQUIRED TO WEAR A SAFETY VEST WHILE FLYING! However the idea is being tossed around to be passed into law in some states. Some people are against it as it's over kill, other people see it as a way to keep unwanted guests with 21 questions while you're having fun and or working. If you fly for fun or professionally having a vest has its pros. pockets in the front to keep all IDs and large bold letters to keep people away. "

so unnecessary....

I think that if they do put this into law Wearing a safety vest that it will weed out many of those flying a drone and if they add to that the Safety Helmet and a Backwards beep , lol im out .

• Haha
Reactions: PAW and tmtwomey
I look at it as keeping away..PAINS IN THE *** INNOCENT BYSTANDERS...just joking but i look at it as a deterrent to people breaking balls...LEAVE ME THE F ALONE..i am not hurting anyone...let me be...IF it scares off or make THEM Think TWICE before approaching me to break chops it will be worth the price...WE mean no harm...we love to fly...Most of us are just having fun..like Flying a kite...just a bit more noise...Move on ...Licensed DRONE PILOT !!!

Stand CLEAR ! (leave me the f alone...ain't hurting anyone )

it's ok for people to express themselves however they wish even if that means leave me alone or i'm not open to contact. it just bugs me a little when people would wear this so as to look "official" or try to come off as someone that has been given special privileges. perhaps you don't say anything but trying to deceive people is not cool. i could put on camo and wear a flak vest and a helmet...you know, i take that back. you're free to wear whatever you wish, if this vest works for you, fine.

btw, i only wear an osmo action camera, that's about it.

We quickly scanned thru these comments becuz last weekend we had a situ with a neighbor who is sadly not having a good time of it lately, depression-wise.

He objected in a nasty manner to us flying past his property to take overhead shots of another neighbor's newly installed pool.

We know our tiny Mavic Air: 1) quickly is harder to see as it rises, 2) BUT also begins to look much CLOSER to you.

As a result, the Guy thought we were right on top of him, spying to see how much he was wearing... as in naked???

He's 67, we're 76! Trust us, it would not be worth the effort. Nevertheless, that's what he accused us of doing.~

Something to be aware of...

Rgds, NAVMAV

The FAA t-shirt/vest is good, but a t-shirt that says “Yes it’s a drone, yes paid lots of $s, no not taking photos of your girlfriend, yes I follow the rules, you have a nice day too” should be better ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman