DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gettng Cold Feet - Is Hassling The Norm or the Exception?

Well the return window closed yesterday, and as I said a few days ago, I decided to keep it. I actually have very little interest in 'flying' it. As you say, I bought it as an aerial camera, and I'm using it as just that. Get up take the video or shots, and get down....but you're right. I've got enough shots from my backyard now. :)

Thanks for the responses everyone.

LP

One other thought....

Some good shots I have found have been via maps. I get on satellite,and see what looks good. This works both traveling and near me.
cebc8d8679259fe77ac1a1a30d9e19a8.jpg

This shot I found by looking on a satellite map.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
Don't give up your hobby in fear of something that has never happened to you.
How do you drive?
Go to the store or work?
Someone could get mad at you along the way. Don't stop living because you're afraid of what might happen. None of us even knows if we'll make it home for dinner tonight .
Live your life flyer drone and stop worrying what people think about your perfectly legal activity.

One thing that WILL help is to use the phrase, "Quadcopter" when talking about your aircraft with other people! The word "DRONE" leaves a bad image in most peoples minds,like military drones,or government drones,ect. Our Quadcopters,are about as simular to a military drone,as my row boat is to Miss Budwiser!:rolleyes:

Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
LP

If you love it, it will work out for you, keep it and enjoy it!
I've never been hasseled! On the contrary, I've had a number of people come up and ask the usual questions, is that a drone, how high and far can it go. Do you spy on people, Etc. Most think it's coll and are looking forward to getting one, one day.
I do have a lot of airports, but there are plenty of places to find to fly.
I do prefer places without a lot of people.
I usually carry it in my car, so if I pass a spot that I think will make a good video I pull over and fly for about 10 minutes, sometimes getting some very memorable shots. You will find beauty all around you.
One of the nice things about the Mavic is its smaller and quieter than most drones, therefore once it's up in the air, especially over 200 feet, people don't see or here it.
So if you love flying and the video, don't worry about what people may or may not say to you. Drone flying is still very new and most people including law enforcement have better things to keep them occupied.
So s
Don't live in fear, good have a good time and stop worrying!

I hear ya. You are smart to be thinking of these things.

I think it all depends on where you plan to fly. I live in the 'burbs and fly/take off from open spaces and very lightly used Parks. I've been flying drones for over three years, and I've only been confronted once in a mildly hostile manner but after some calm talk about being registered with the FAA and spouting some rules that I was obeying they calmed down.

I think its important to consider where you are flying. I think if you live in the middle of a large city, like a downtown district, you are going to have a hard time finding open areas to fly. I also live at the base of the Rocky Mountains which offers me excellent photo opps. And if I'm willing to drive an hour there are tons of beautiful places to fly without hassle or even the potential...

Just be aware of your surroundings meaning area you plan to fly...

Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
LP

You will find that there are a minority who will hate anything out of "their" norm and boy will they let you know of their disagreement! Drone flying apart which I have posted about before, just this weekend alone I have had 2 encounters with angry strangers 1 for riding my ebike in the middle of nowhere on an almost deserted dusty track when a fell runner with 2 dogs decided without warning that he would stop and shout at me for riding on a bridle path, even though it wasn't marked up as this on the track or any map I checked! Secondly I was accosted on very large but again almost deserted open recreational fields for playing around safely and well out of the way with a pretty fast RC car with my young son. 2 old ladies decided to take a half mile detour to try and get me to move and take my unwanted toy with me, which of course I had no intention of doing and made that politely clear. What I’ve quickly learnt from my love of new tech and boys toys (as my wife calls them) is that those who don’t have them or an interest in them will automatically hate them. Most folk don’t like confrontation so will just remove themselves from the source of frustration, but what surprises me are the number of people who seem to enjoy the drama of an argument or throwing out angry unfounded comments before listening to reason. So to be blunt, you’re just going to have to be prepared to deal with the occasional muppet i'm afraid, it sadly comes with the territory.

Reactions: jgraves1107
To sum up, most people won't get hassled unless you hassle them.

"Drone pilot" is not an important title, if you fly high and far we will remain in our insignificance and nobody will notice.

You will find that there are a minority who will hate anything out of "their" norm and boy will they let you know of their disagreement! Drone flying apart which I have posted about before, just this weekend alone I have had 2 encounters with angry strangers 1 for riding my ebike in the middle of nowhere on an almost deserted dusty track when a fell runner with 2 dogs decided without warning that he would stop and shout at me for riding on a bridle path, even though it wasn't marked up as this on the track or any map I checked! Secondly I was accosted on very large but again almost deserted open recreational fields for playing around safely and well out of the way with a pretty fast RC car with my young son. 2 old ladies decided to take a half mile detour to try and get me to move and take my unwanted toy with me, which of course I had no intention of doing and made that politely clear. What I’ve quickly learnt from my love of new tech and boys toys (as my wife calls them) is that those who don’t have them or an interest in them will automatically hate them. Most folk don’t like confrontation so will just remove themselves from the source of frustration, but what surprises me are the number of people who seem to enjoy the drama of an argument or throwing out angry unfounded comments before listening to reason. So to be blunt, you’re just going to have to be prepared to deal with the occasional muppet i'm afraid, it sadly comes with the territory.

Somewhat off topic but you are legally allowed to cycle on a Bridle path in the UK although you are required to give way to other users on foot or horseback. An ebike might be a special case open to interpretation but it seems to me that it would fall under the category of "cycle" given that you can use one in such a format if required!

On topic, when I first got my drane I worried about he reactions I would get in public and probably still do - especially when you see things such as the recent article in the Guardian. However, my experience to dat has been nothing but positive. When I have been approach by anybody it has been to show interest and ask questions. It has actually lead to some interesting conversations that might not otherwise of happened - so I take that as a good thng!

Maybe it's where I live, but getting harassed is much more common than curiosity. I've had the cops show up twice for flying over my property or the roads (neighbor called saying I was spying) and whenever I where other people are around I usually get snarky comments ("Oh I hope a seagull takes out that drone" or "They are going to kill us all one day!", stupid stuff like that). Its funny really and could care less but it seems, at least where I live, that more people hate and fear them.

I'm in the UK and haven't had any problems so far. I always stick the CAA Drone Code and have decided to cancel a flight plenty of times if it doesn't feel right. I've flown many times responsibly just 1/4 mile from a police HQ, been directly overflown by the NPAS police helicopter in a different location and also had curious peeps come and say hi. (on the police helicopter situation I landed my Mavic and put the controller on the ground so they could see I wasn't a threat to their flight. Basically I think I'm trying to say as long as you ignore stupid passerby's comments and take personal responsiblity for your actions you'll be fine!

Mostly positive experiences for me as well. Two negative from people thinking I was spying or "peeping" (when flying on a beach). I personally don't like even the positive encounters because I'm usually concentrating on what I'm doing and not wanting to carry on a conversation. Now that I've done the antenna mod I regularly fly from the air conditioned comfort of my car with antennas on a mag mount on the roof.

Regarding airports, I agree with notifying When applicable. With the grass strips those are uncontrolled and there's normally nobody to call. I'm a pilot and the pattern altitude around small airports is typically 700-1100 feet agl. Your typically only around 400 feet on takeoff and the base leg just before you turn to final and land. This is typically within 1/8-1/4 mile or so from the runway.

Enjoy the hobby, it's amazing. Don't let the fear of unhappy people Take away from an otherwise extremely awesome hobby.

[QUOTE="HighlandsVideo, post: 264146, member: ...but I do wish every teenaged Tom, **** & Harry did not have access to flying machinery because the irresponsible behavior of so many is what people are most aware of. .[/QUOTE]

I agree. Now that they are being sold at Costco and Sams Club, I think everybody and their mother will have one. More and more stories of irresponsible people crashing them into cars, houses, etc. are sure to follow.

I understand you're hesitation. I haven't experienced a negative encounter yet, but you know there is the vocal minority out there that will be ready to whine at a moments notice. Just follow the law and be considerate and you'll be fine. There are some people so tightly wound that you or I just breathing is enough to trigger them. That's their problem, not yours IF YOU'RE FOLLOWING THE LAW. You have the right to use the airspace.

As for keeping the drone, that is entirely up to you. If you have the money and you think you'll use it, then keep it. If your already getting bored, maybe not.

I certainly understand the hassle of the airport thing. Who knew there were SO MANY airports.

I understand you're hesitation. I haven't experienced a negative encounter yet, but you know there is the vocal minority out there that will be ready to whine at a moments notice. Just follow the law and be considerate and you'll be fine. There are some people so tightly wound that you or I just breathing is enough to trigger them. That's their problem, not yours IF YOU'RE FOLLOWING THE LAW. You have the right to use the airspace.

As for keeping the drone, that is entirely up to you. If you have the money and you think you'll use it, then keep it. If your already getting bored, maybe not.

I certainly understand the hassle of the airport thing. Who knew there were SO MANY airports.

Yeah...that's the thing that is really putting a damper on the fun right now. EVERYWHERE I want to go seems to be loaded with airports. Not just one, but 5-6 overlapping 5 mile areas. I'm starting to think Airmap should just show areas you CAN fly....since those appear to be the minority. I just don't know how interested I'm going to be to call 5 airports everytime I want to pop up, take a few shots and leave. I guess we'll see....it's mine to keep now.

LP

Reactions: moleza
I fly off my roof or at a park. I just do it as inconspicuous as possible so nobody sees me set up when I launch it. I don't want it to look like I'm seetting up a film production.

Here are my steps to take off quickly:

1. Keep Mavic in your bag and Connect the rc to phone - wait for the rc connection.

2. Then take out Mavic. Take off gimbal clamp. Leave legs folded.

3. Turn Mavic on, wait for it to connect to RC. Wait for full GPS connection. Let it warm up until green light starts flashing.

3. Unfold legs. place it in a clear launch area next to you.

4. Take off. Hover at 20 feet or so for 20 seconds or until you get the "Home point has been located" alert.

5. Quickly fly straight up to about 150 feet and don't go lower unless you are completely alone. I've found that 150 feet is high enough where people near you won't hear it. (Depends on how noisy your surroundings are)

6. Sit down and pretend you are just looking at your phone. act like everyone else doeso and not like you are a master drone pilot or a cinematographer.

7. Test settings and then cruize to where you want to go, keep VLOS if you can.

8. Wait to land it when there isn't anyone around anymore or land in a place where there isn't anyone nearby. Or you can land in front of people who could not care less (garbage man, municipal employee, joggers, bums)

5. Quickly fly straight up to about 150 feet and don't go lower unless you are completely alone. I've found that 150 feet is high enough where people near you won't hear it. (Depends on how noisy your surroundings are)
I need to go at least 250 feet before it becomes difficult to hear. At 150-200 feet, it is clearly audible. I live about halfway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs. This is what my neighborhood looks like:

neighborhood.png

you should worry more what other ppl think
Only you know if your flying safely/in control and not hurting anyone :)

That said, I find ppl are quite resigned to the occasional drone taking off at the park or passing overhead
& if they're giving it a second thought; just accept it as some R/C Nerd having his fun.

How much did you think about drones before you became interested in them?
You didnt, right? 99 problems and all that

[QUOTE="HighlandsVideo, post: 264146, member: ...but I do wish every teenaged Tom, **** & Harry did not have access to flying machinery because the irresponsible behavior of so many is what people are most aware of. .

I agree. Now that they are being sold at Costco and Sams Club, I think everybody and their mother will have one. More and more stories of irresponsible people crashing them into cars, houses, etc. are sure to follow.

In Brazil you must be at least 18 to fly drones over 250g. Even tough some stupidity never gets old.

Reactions: frankiez
In Brazil you must be at least 18 to fly drones over 250g. Even tough some stupidity never gets old.

I have a coworker that bought a Mavic and when I asked him how he liked flying it, his response was " I really haven't flown it. We basically bought it for my son to learn to fly so when we go to the Keys, he can take video"

I need to go at least 250 feet before it becomes difficult to hear. At 150-200 feet, it is clearly audible. I live about halfway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs. This is what my neighborhood looks like:

neighborhood.png

I guess I live in a quiet place. My Mavic is clearly audible 400 ft up and more than 400ft away horizontally...

LP

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard