DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gettng Cold Feet - Is Hassling The Norm or the Exception?

Thanks guys - this is great, and it helps a lot. I think I decided to keep it after only the first few responses. As I said in the title, I really just wanted to get a feel for whether the negative reactions were the norm before making up my mind. I can certainly handle confrontation....I just didn't want to have to deal with it on a regular basis such that it takes all of the fun out of the hobby. I also didn't want to have to deal with drone-uneducated law enforcement and have them confiscate my Mavic for no good reason. It sounds like these confrontations are the exception, which is what I wanted to hear.

Thanks again...
LP
X2. I fly over uninhabited areas mostly. 200' or higher for all else, except over my own property. Never been hassled, always get questions, and only had one person get their panties in a wad whilst I flew over the marsh and "ruined" the peaceful evening with my Inspire.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
You have a middle finger - learn to use it.
JK - but only a little. People need to learn to respect boundaries. In the current "age of outrage" people are getting the notion they can complain about anything and other people are supposed to actually give a ****. In reality they need to learn a little respect and practice a little tolerance by someone telling them MYOB, get a life or anything akin to those sentiments.
Seriously - if I decided to paint my house (in a non HOA neighborhood) in a shade my neighbor doesn't care for I would not feel obliged to change it. Nor should you decide whether to pursue flying drones based on some half baked opinion.
Just my 2 centavos - worth less than 2 cents...

Reactions: Hollow Dog
I've had the Mavic since January and never had anyone give me any grief over it . A friend has his inspire and inspire 2 that we fly together often and everyone just has curious questions about them . I think most of the horror stories originate from pilots that are flying in places or doing something else that is a bit shady to begin with .

You have a middle finger - learn to use it.
JK - but only a little. People need to learn to respect boundaries. In the current "age of outrage" people are getting the notion they can complain about anything and other people are supposed to actually give a ****. In reality they need to learn a little respect and practice a little tolerance by someone telling them MYOB, get a life or anything akin to those sentiments.
Seriously - if I decided to paint my house (in a non HOA neighborhood) in a shade my neighbor doesn't care for I would not feel obliged to change it. Nor should you decide whether to pursue flying drones based on some half baked opinion.
Just my 2 centavos - worth less than 2 cents...

While I appreciate the sentiment you and others have expressed - ie: it doesn't matter what others think as long as it's not hurting them - I'd prefer to just avoid unnecessary conflict. If I wanted conflict, I'd just go to work. ;) The idea is that the hobby should be relaxing...having to tell people to screw off or give them the finger would be a detractor from the enjoyment for me.

LP

Reactions: Ty_tastic
While I appreciate the sentiment you and others have expressed - ie: it doesn't matter what others think as long as it's not hurting them - I'd prefer to just avoid unnecessary conflict. If I wanted conflict, I'd just go to work. ;) The idea is that the hobby should be relaxing...having to tell people to screw off or give them the finger would be a detractor from the enjoyment for me.

LP
Not to be snarky but by being so compliant you are exacerbating the problem. A little pushback is justified in many cases.
BF Skinner said it best "rewarded behavior is repeated".
I would also add that the potential for conflict apparently had you concerned - so you've already diminished your new hobby by your own actions.

Reactions: Ty_tastic
My experiences with people is almost 100% positive or neutral. I have had one weird encounter when someone came by and took my picture. They wanted to make it obvious that they were doing it. I took that as a threatening gesture, but they didn't have the stones to get out. If they would have, I would have acknowledged my non right to privacy as I was in a public space with no reasonable expectation. Just like the roof of there house, that looks just like the other 150 roofs in the neighborhood that I couldn't care less about. "Look A$$H0l3, if I wanted to spy on you, I could do it in a much less conspicuous manner than a drone, get over yourself"

My concern is law enforcement. These guys are often clueless to the actual law and will bow to the squeakiest wheel. If some citizen screams loud enough, they will sometimes just assume the worst. I haven't experienced that yet with regard to drones, but I have seen the behavior a lot. Plus, besides airports and obvious NFZ's, there are a lot of places where you can't fly but there is no apparent or obvious reason.

I am surrounded by Forest Preserves and yet I cannot fly in of those. My taxes help pay for it, or group of drunken morons can have picnics and bring grills or whatever. I am not talking about a place where forest fires could even happen. I am talking about wide open green spaces with no people, yet it's not allowed. In may cases, local multiplicities have rules against places like playgrounds and parks that you would not even know about. It's easier to just deny then think.

The FAA should be a advocate for drones the same way they are for private pilots. As long as a person flies within the rules of the FAA, all this paranoid B.S. and unwarranted fears that locals have should be dismissed as just that.

Reactions: Brojon
Like most have already said, the people complaining are few and far between. The problem is that when they do complain, they make a lot of noise so it seems like there are lots of complaints. Sure we've seen a drone shot out of the sky by an air rifle and we've seen a golfer try to take down a Mavic, but these are more an exception than the rule (besides, in both those cases, the pilot was probably partly to blame).

My experiences with people is almost 100% positive or neutral. I have had one weird encounter when someone came by and took my picture. ...
It's easier to just deny then think.
Well said bro!

I have to chime in here... I have had 2 negative responses from members of the public. Very aggressive and basically telling me I was breaking the law (when I know I wasn't) and they were going to phone the police.

No matter what I said it made no difference to their behaviour. In the end I knew I wasn't breaking any laws so I just told them to go ahead. They didn't.

They were trying to insinuate that I was spying on people.

To balance this out the rest of the people that see me flying are generally very interested.

I guess it's like anything we do in life... there's always gonna be haters

Ok I think this thread has run it's course. I've already decided to keep it. I'll also reiterate that I didn't ask for an opinion on whether to return it. I knew that decision was mine. All I asked was whether getting hassled was the norm, or the exception...and it's pretty clear now that it's the exception. I'm good.

Thanks....
LP

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
LP

It's great that you are well versed with the laws of your country regarding recreational flying of the drone. I have flown it overseas as well and in built up areas where there are clusters of apartment buildings. People who are nearby usually get startled initially by the sound of a swarm of bees that the mavic makes but one it goes up about 30-40m, no one really hears it anymore!

I guess if you were to return it, you would still find yourself yearning to buy another one as I personally find flying the mavic quite addictive! Sometimes I get back from work and since it's already dark and we are not permitted to fly it at night here, I launch it in my house and manoeuvre it indoors just to get kick [emoji23]. Plus it would be such a waste if you are on your next trip, wondering what birds eye view of the place that your are at would look like.

Regardless of how others feel about it, as long as you fly it sensibly considering others and obeying the laws, I don't see why you will be hassled. Usually people are in awe haha

Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
LP

.There's a lot of LOVE in your Post..
I think you'll search no more then the answer you seek is in the post /\ /\./\
But if you like to post some of those picture you say you injoy so we might decide our self....C

Actually the 5 mile NFZ is a law, not a guide. If the airport has a control tower, you are required to call and notify them.

Do I always call? Some of the time, not all of the time. I treat it like the speed limit on the highway. I know it's illegal to go over the posted sign, but I do it sometimes. Sensibly.

I have the mavic from Dec and I flew it till recently nearly every day but now I use it once every two or three week's but still I don't sory that I brought it
And it cost me as a monthly salary in Israel

Actually the 5 mile NFZ is a law, not a guide. If the airport has a control tower, you are required to call and notify them.

Do I always call? Some of the time, not all of the time. I treat it like the speed limit on the highway. I know it's illegal to go over the posted sign, but I do it sometimes. Sensibly.

I read that it's a law as well, but between you and the airport. Most of the time, the airfield thanks me and says I don't have to call every time I fly, so I just document that conversation and move on.

The tower statement was confusing to me, so I notify them regardless of whether they have a tower or not...as long as Airmap has a phone number. One of the airfields near me is on an island, and there is no phone number....so I can't notify them. So does the law say I don't have to notify if there is no tower? None of the MANY airfields near me have towers.

LP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman