DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gettng Cold Feet - Is Hassling The Norm or the Exception?

you should worry more what other ppl think
Only you know if your flying safely/in control and not hurting anyone :)

That said, I find ppl are quite resigned to the occasional drone taking off at the park or passing overhead
& if they're giving it a second thought; just accept it as some R/C Nerd having his fun.

How much did you think about drones before you became interested in them?
You didnt, right? 99 problems and all that

Actually, I've been thinking about jumping in for several years. With landscape photography as a hobby, the thought of a quality flying camera has always been an interest. It's only now that I'm getting to take advantage of it....

LP

I have a coworker that bought a Mavic and when I asked him how he liked flying it, his response was " I really haven't flown it. We basically bought it for my son to learn to fly so when we go to the Keys, he can take video"

Yeah....I'm guessing he has no plans to check on the airport/airspace situation. Surprise!

LP

I agree and understand your concept of the stigma they hold. However keep in mind the stigma is often associated with an experience. If you fly respectfully and courteously oftentimes you'll recognize people approach you with more wonderment than disdain.

I've flown in a few countries and in many US locations. I follow a few simple rules and have never had problems. I always walk to a secluded area and take off from there away from masses. I try not to be a nuisance if something large is going on. And as we all have body language I believe so too does the drone. Don't fly it with the body language that of someone who is snooping or doing something improper. I see it as an amazing tool, and a fun piece of equipment. It may be past your deadline but I say keep it!

Reactions: LeafPeeper
Apologies I should have read that you decided already and had enough opinions!

LOL...not a problem. I appreciate it. I just thought it was a little odd that some responses seemed to have some attitude about taking it back, keeping it, etc....when I never even asked that question. Truthfully, thanks for your response. :)

LP

Reactions: Ty_tastic
Fly it, enjoy it. Any naysayers just tell them your an FAA Liscensed UAV. Take great pics. Best camera/plane I ever had! Always wanted to be a pilot.

I do not fly the bird as often as I would like to.
But I will not give it up no matter how much I paid for it!

This will be my situation as well. I probably won't use it as much as I originally thought, but when I do it will be worth it...

LP

This will be my situation as well. I probably won't use it as much as I originally thought, but when I do it will be worth it...

LP
At the rate I'm flying, they will have announced the Mavic Pro 6 before this one wears out!

I had been lurking in this forum for two months researching. Today I finally signed up to be a member and this is my first post reply. Just a few weeks ago - I pulled the trigger on a Mavic Pro and DJI Goggles. My first TRUE drone setup - graduating and training on mini Eachine drones in the house. I kid you not, I am hooked like an addict on the needle with the Mavic and can't contemplate anyone second guessing their purchase of a Mavic after a real flight. This technology is truly remarkable - life changing to me perhaps, and not a novelty or phase. Its the realization of a childhood fantasy to physically fly (via the Goggles) - to be in the cockpit of a craft I control hundreds of feet in the air without a pilots license or physical plane. As a little kid - playing with transformers imagining flying like a bird in the sky - to actually getting inside a true transforming drone via the DJI Goggles in HD - I couldn't be freakin happier. ITS ( ( mod removed ) AMAZING. I ride crotch rocket sport bike motorcycles and purposely bought this portable drone and Goggle setup so I could fly when the road below me ends in the canyons and mountain cliffs drop. I am hooked - and a "pilot" for life now. Now that you've decided to keep it - (thank god) Consider FPV with it - a completely different experience. Thank you mavicpilots.com for existing - this is like Alcoholics Anonymous for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been lurking in this forum for two months researching. Today I finally signed up to be a member and this is my first post reply. Just a few weeks ago - I pulled the trigger on a Mavic Pro and DJI Goggles. My first TRUE drone setup - graduating and training on mini Eachine drones in the house. I kid you not, I am hooked like an addict on the needle with the Mavic and can't contemplate anyone second guessing their purchase of a Mavic after a real flight. This technology is truly remarkable - life changing to me perhaps, and not a novelty or phase. Its the realization of a childhood fantasy to physically fly (via the Goggles) - to be in the cockpit of a craft I control hundreds of feet in the air without a pilots license or physical plane. As a little kid - playing with transformers imagining flying like a bird in the sky - to actually getting inside a true transforming drone via the DJI Goggles in HD - I couldn't be freakin happier. ITS GOD DAM AMAZING. I ride crotch rocket sport bike motorcycles and purposely bought this portable drone and Goggle setup so I could fly when the road below me ends in the canyons and mountain cliffs drop. I am hooked - and a "pilot" for life now. Now that you've decided to keep it - (thank god) Consider FPV with it - a completely different experience. Thank you mavicpilots.com for existing - this is like Alcoholics Anonymous for me :)

I agree - and even if I don' get to fly it as often as I would like, it's just too cool to let go. It truly is amazing....even just sitting there hovering with no input from me, there's just something about it that has me hooked. Life changing is a good way to put it.

FWIW, there's another reason I wanted the Mavic. Several years ago I learned to fly a plane...a piper cub, stick, no radio, tail dragger. I loved every minute of it. Hanging my head out the window of this fabric covered bird a couple thousand feet up, I just fell in love with the feeling and the view. A coworker who was an F16 pilot in the guard used to laugh at me. He said he couldn't understand how I could tolerate flying that slow. As it turns out, he was sorta right. I ended up quitting because I couldn't handle the landings. The plane just floated around too much at low speeds, and my motion sickness got the best of me...and I couldn't fly drugged. Even so, I couldn't let go of the views....and I've wanted a flying camera ever since.

On the FPV thing, why don't theses things have two cameras for 3D vision yet?

LP

Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
LP

I think "Drone" has a negative connotation. It could mean killing people remotely, being an automaton following blindly, spying on others ... "

But the reason I got into it and what I hear from all of you is it's about "aerial photography and cinematography that gives people a unique view of their world."

I haven't interacted with a neighbor yet, but if I did I would ask them, ""How would you like to see what it looks like 150 feet above your house and how tall that Douglas Fir is in your yard?"

I stopped telling people, "I got a drone." and have replaced it with, "I've gotten into aerial photography." ;-)

This guy could care less whether a NFZ or not. He will snorkel and will fly the mavic 20' or so above the water and film him and his family snorkeling.

I had been lurking in this forum for two months researching. Today I finally signed up to be a member and this is my first post reply. Just a few weeks ago - I pulled the trigger on a Mavic Pro and DJI Goggles. My first TRUE drone setup - graduating and training on mini Eachine drones in the house. I kid you not, I am hooked like an addict on the needle with the Mavic and can't contemplate anyone second guessing their purchase of a Mavic after a real flight. This technology is truly remarkable - life changing to me perhaps, and not a novelty or phase. Its the realization of a childhood fantasy to physically fly (via the Goggles) - to be in the cockpit of a craft I control hundreds of feet in the air without a pilots license or physical plane. As a little kid - playing with transformers imagining flying like a bird in the sky - to actually getting inside a true transforming drone via the DJI Goggles in HD - I couldn't be freakin happier. ITS GOD DAM AMAZING. I ride crotch rocket sport bike motorcycles and purposely bought this portable drone and Goggle setup so I could fly when the road below me ends in the canyons and mountain cliffs drop. I am hooked - and a "pilot" for life now. Now that you've decided to keep it - (thank god) Consider FPV with it - a completely different experience. Thank you mavicpilots.com for existing - this is like Alcoholics Anonymous for me :)

Maaaate.... I know what you mean :)

well I dont use Googles, but my BT-300 and its great I mean the sensation of flying is just awesome, able to go the world from a new perspective is amazing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78