DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal not sitting correctly.

I received my repaired Mavic 2 Pro today from the DJI service center in Grapevine TX. Their email to me stated they replaced the Gimbal Axis Arm Module (RH) but what I received was a completely new unit. The serial number decodes to 16 JUN 2020 and the gimbal serial number decodes to 15 JUN 2020. IT WORKS! Absolutely flat horizon no matter what I do! I had to activate it, link it to my controller and get yet another FAA ID, but hey... that's easy stuff. I was sweating it wondering if it would work or not. I have some jobs lined up and I'm eager to get into this having the horizon issue behind me.

MORAL: If you have the horizon problem send it back to DJI and follow their instructions to the letter. If they tell you to put your left hand on your right ear, do it. I really had no problems with this. They did everything they said they would and all it cost me was the $5 for another FAA ID.
That mirrors my exact dealings with DJI except the ones they replaced with had exactly the same problem!
The latest one has a manufacturing date of April 2020 and is perfect. What boiled my blood was it took 7 day to repair and then they send another drone. They could have done that the minute they diagnosed the problem rather than saying it was being repaired, why the smoke and mirrors?

Dropped mine off at the UPS store today. Did the online chat first. They didn’t have me do anything once I told them I recalibrated many times. Just told me to get a repair ticket going. Simple. We’ll see what happens. Seemed silly to UPS it as the repair place is 15 mins from the house, but I’ll play along.

I received a email from dji today apparently it has a faulty right hand gimble arm sensor. They have dispatched a brand new (not a refurb unit ) to me today. I ran the new serial number through the serial number checker and it came back as being manufactured in mid May 2020. I have heard only bad things about Dji customer service but I am more than impressed with them. Thank you DJI.

On a side not I have ordered a new inspire 2 with the x5s camera and a whole load of goodies including 2 ultra brights a cedence controller, 8 batteries, ssd cards and a few other bits. Next on the list is a M600 pro and Ronin Mk to carry my black magic URSA mini camera.

Hi

Where do you do the serial checker

I found it here

Got my M2P back a couple days ago. Or a new one anyway. Different serial number. April assembly. Hopefully this one works better. Thanks for this thread.

I’ll add that I did very little with customer service. I told them the issue. The trouble shooting and the calibration I’d already done and they said “ok, send it in”. Very easy to deal with.

I have exactly the same problem with my M2P and returned it to DJI last week. I will let you know what the prognosis is.

Hi guys,

Ever since I’ve had my Mavic the footage just hasn’t looked right. The horizon is constantly slanted.

I have followed lots of online tutorials and DJI Customer Support have been useless.

I’ve tried adjusting the gimbal manually which does the trick until I pan and the gimbal seems tilted again.

I’ve also calibrated the gimbal, compass and IMU which still leaves the gimbal in the same tilted position.

Lastly I have tried pressing button on rear of smart controller to send gimbal to the straight down position and then again to bring it up to centre but it seems to think that centre is tilted.

Is there anyway to correct this or do I have a faulty unit? Never crashed the drone.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

(Image isn’t mine but shows roughly how the gimbal sits).
I've just resolved this very same issue myself. I've never crashed or had any hard landings. But today I noticed the camera was tilted to one side and couldn't understand why?? I attempted a gimbal recalibration and it got stuck at 20%.
Then plugged the drone into the pc and launched DJI assistant 2. When I checked the firmware. The previous update had an update for a possible gimbal issue... I reinstalled the previous firmware update to this one and hey presto! the gimbal recalibration worked perfectly and it resolved the wonkey camera angle....
So to summarise, DJI caused the issue with their update!!

I've just resolved this very same issue myself. I've never crashed or had any hard landings. But today I noticed the camera was tilted to one side and couldn't understand why?? I attempted a gimbal recalibration and it got stuck at 20%.
Then plugged the drone into the pc and launched DJI assistant 2. When I checked the firmware. The previous update had an update for a possible gimbal issue... I reinstalled the previous firmware update to this one and hey presto! the gimbal recalibration worked perfectly and it resolved the wonkey camera angle....
So to summarise, DJI caused the issue with their update!!

You don't really know that. All you know is that rolling back to an earlier FW version made the issue go away. That COULD be because any time you upgrade the firmware, a lot of settings get reset -- this is what could have made the problem go away.

The only way you could know that the most recent update actually CAUSES the problem is for you to now load that newer FW version again and, without doing anything else, immediately verify that the problem returned.

So unless there's a lot of other folk noticing that their gimble levels are wonky after the last update, I'm going to guess that the firmware is not responsible. Feel free to prove me wrong -- after all, if you load the recent version and the problem returns, then you could just as easily make it go away again by rolling back to the earlier version. That is, if you have enough confidence that you know how that's going to turn out. If you would rather not try, then that means you're not sure it would work out in your favor.

Signed, with 30 years in the software business,
Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929