DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

diviaster1398

Reactions
Just a week ago, i purchased Mavic Mini. Its great little mighty drone. And I have already mastered flying it. 3 days ago I found out in sports and position mode that ...

At Gimbal angle > -5° upto maximum i.e 120°, going forward, it makes a sudden drops to -8°

Gimbal angle < -80° upto minimum i.e -90°,
going back or coming down, it makes a sudden elevation to -75°

I have attached a video showing the exact problem I am facing.

I have tried recalibrating gimbal and drone many times but this occurs everytime. Is this a hardware error?! I have read forums of many people going through same problem. Should I be worried? Help me ASAP.

To be safe, I am keeping my Gimbal in between -75° to -10° for now. But I am so concerned. If someone is having same problem, tell me. I need expert advice plz.

Last edited:
Just a week ago, i purchased Mavic Mini. Its great little mighty drone. And I have already mastered flying it. 3 days ago I found out in sports and position mode that ...

At Gimbal angle > -5° upto maximum i.e 120°, going forward, it makes a sudden drops to -8°

Gimbal angle < -80° upto minimum i.e -90°,
going back or coming down, it makes a sudden elevation to -75°

I have attached a video showing the exact problem I am facing.

I have tried recalibrating gimbal and drone many times but this occurs everytime. Is this a hardware error?! I have read forums of many people going through same problem. Should I be worried? Help me ASAP.

To be safe, I am keeping my Gimbal in between -75° to -10° for now. But I am so concerned. If someone is having same problem, tell me. I need expert advice plz.

Without seeing any flight logs its just a guess, but judging by the wind that your flying in with the drone, this looks like a gimbal flip , best to fly it inside your house , barn and see if the gimbal holds position , im betting its windy where you our most of the time your not going to be to happy with the Mini in those conditions.

For now Try not to fly directly into the winds.

Its very possible that the gimbal ribbon is torn, you will find that out flying inside a protected area or on a table.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI drone in the Rain
Coal

Without seeing any flight logs its just a guess, but judging by the wind that your flying in with the drone, this looks like a gimbal flip , best to fly it inside your house , barn and see if the gimbal holds position , im betting its windy where you our most of the time your not going to be to happy with the Mini in those conditions.

For now Try not to fly directly into the winds.

Its very possible that the gimbal ribbon is torn, you will find that out flying inside a protected area or on a table.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI drone in the Rain
Coal
It is happening everyday since 3 days. And only at max and min angles. The wind is only blowing today. Can it be a hardware problem?! And can u help me sharing flight logs?
Thanks

It is happening everyday since 3 days. And only at max and min angles. The wind is only blowing today. Can it be a hardware problem?! And can u help me sharing flight logs?
Thanks
You can post the logs but I would rather see a video of the Gimbal on a table with you moving it around as im pretty sure now its a torn ribbon. Easy check .

Search for "gimbal jump" on here. It's been discussed in good detail in a few other threads. This is partly hardware and partly firmware. In essence the gimbal doesn't have enough spare travel to compensate for the drone body movement when it pitches forward/back to accelerate forwards.backwards. In C mode the pitch (and hence top speed) is limited enough that the gimbal can stay at 0deg or 90 deg without jumping back, as per your video.

If you have the camera pointed up at 20 deg there's only 15deg of "headroom" but the drone can pitch forward to 20deg or 30 deg (P and S modes, respectively) to accelerate forwards. The firmware overcomes this by making the camera jump downwards so it has a bit more headroom. Same thing is happening wit the camera pointed straight down at -90 deg. The jump when looking down usually only happens when you fly backwards.

Mine does exactly the same, and has been like that since brand new.

Search for "gimbal jump" on here. It's been discussed in good detail in a few other threads. This is partly hardware and partly firmware. In essence the gimbal doesn't have enough spare travel to compensate for the drone body movement when it pitches forward/back to accelerate forwards.backwards. In C mode the pitch (and hence top speed) is limited enough that the gimbal can stay at 0deg or 90 deg without jumping back, as per your video.

If you have the camera pointed up at 20 deg there's only 15deg of "headroom" but the drone can pitch forward to 20deg or 30 deg (P and S modes, respectively) to accelerate forwards. The firmware overcomes this by making the camera jump downwards so it has a bit more headroom. Same thing is happening wit the camera pointed straight down at -90 deg. The jump when looking down usually only happens when you fly backwards.

Mine does exactly the same, and has been like that since brand new.
Thanks dude.. took the load off my head

Below pic. slightly modified from the manual reveal the gimbal movement in relation to the pitch angles of the Mini in different flight modes. Out from this it's easy to calculate that this gimbal nodding is due to HW limitations ... the reason for that the gimbal doesn't return after releasing the sticks (level the AC pitch) is due to a SW decision avoiding double nodding.

To avoid this don't use Sport with the gimbal in the end positions & maneuver gently ...

Mavic Mini Gimbal angles.jpg

I find the gimbal jumps a little bit back from -90deg in P mode too if pushed hard. Theoretically it shouldn't as there's 20deg spare gimbal movement before the hardware limit, but it does. Makes me wonder if the body pitches beyond 20deg for brief moments in P mode. Any flight log analysers noticed if it does or not?

The specs state that the mechanical range of the gimbal is -110deg to +35 deg (user controllable range is limited to -90 to +20) so there shouldn't be any nod downwards if the camera is pointing straight ahead and you fly in sports mode (max pitch 30deg). However... there is a nod, by a few degrees. It kind of seems that the issue is made worse by overreacting firmware?

Last edited:
Below pic. slightly modified from the manual reveal the gimbal movement in relation to the pitch angles of the Mini in different flight modes. Out from this it's easy to calculate that this gimbal nodding is due to HW limitations ... the reason for that the gimbal doesn't return after releasing the sticks (level the AC pitch) is due to a SW decision avoiding double nodding.

To avoid this don't use Sport with the gimbal in the end positions & maneuver gently ...

View attachment 101113
Great work at explaining dude.. I am confident that nothin's wrong with my precious mini

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa