DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggle Range Mini 2

MessySpiller

Reactions
Drone newbie here. Soon to be owner of Mini or Mini 2. I was wondering how the goggle hacks would affect range and latency? If possible I would like to have full functionality of the OcuSync 2.0 but to my understanding most goggle hacks would undermine this. Is there any goggle solution for Mini or Mini 2 where I can fly long distances with good video feed? I want to achieve at least 2000 feet distance with minimal latency issues using goggles. Should I just shell out the extra money for a Mavic Pro? I want to explore mountain creek systems (so there would be some obstructions) with goggles for as cheap as possible. Any help appreciated.

Drone newbie here. Soon to be owner of Mini or Mini 2. I was wondering how the goggle hacks would affect range and latency? If possible I would like to have full functionality of the OcuSync 2.0 but to my understanding most goggle hacks would undermine this. Is there any goggle solution for Mini or Mini 2 where I can fly long distances with good video feed? I want to achieve at least 2000 feet distance with minimal latency issues using goggles. Should I just shell out the extra money for a Mavic Pro? I want to explore mountain creek systems (so there would be some obstructions) with goggles for as cheap as possible. Any help appreciated.
So you should push for the Air 2 , this will keep you happy and surprised and no hacks needed .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain/Snow and land on water.

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to the forum!

Based on your question I had to take note of your self proclaimed "newbie" status. I am assuming that when you say newbie, you are in fact a virtual-never-ever pilot, right? Nothing wrong with that. But it is important that you have to understand the rules of UAV (drone) flying. One of the requirements of flying is that you must keep your drone within VISUAL LINE OF SIGHT (VLOS). That means, that you, the pilot must be able to see the drone itself with your unaided eyes. As soon as you put goggles you are in violation of that regulation unless you have a spotter (lookout person) who can maintain VLOS for you to inform you of any potential issues in flight.

But then there's your stated proposed distance of 2000'. Even with strobes, during the day the farthest you would be able to fly and truly keep your Mini in sight would be no more than 1600' unobstructed. And that's with strobes mounted on it (500 lumens or better). I've not tested VLOS range without strobes so I don't have an anecdotal distance to cite, but it's got to be a heck of a lot closer than 1600'. So, even with a spotter at your side you should be aware of the distance that your drone can be seen. Personally, if you're truly a newbie I'd advise you to skip the goggles- at least until you get this flying thing down. JMO

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum!

Based on your question I had to take note of your self proclaimed "newbie" status. I am assuming that when you say newbie, you are in fact a virtual-never-ever pilot, right? Nothing wrong with that. But it is important that you have to understand the rules of UAV (drone) flying. One of the requirements of flying is that you must keep your drone within VISUAL LINE OF SIGHT (VLOS). That means, that you, the pilot must be able to see the drone itself with your unaided eyes. As soon as you put goggles you are in violation of that regulation unless you have a spotter (lookout person) who can maintain VLOS for you to inform you of any potential issues in flight.

But then there's your stated proposed distance of 2000'. Even with strobes, during the day the farthest you would be able to fly and truly keep your Mini in sight would be no more than 1600' unobstructed. And that's with strobes mounted on it (500 lumens or better). I've not tested VLOS range without strobes so I don't have an anecdotal distance to cite, but it's got to be a heck of a lot closer than 1600'. So, even with a spotter at your side you should be aware of the distance that your drone can be seen. Personally, if you're truly a newbie I'd advise you to skip the goggles- at least until you get this flying thing down. JMO

Good luck.
Thanks for the info and consideration. I'm not a total newbie, I have a HS720 right now that I have been practicing (crashing) with. I feel that I am at a point where I can safely avoid most rookie mishaps and so now I am going full DJI. The area in question that I will be flying is very remote -- very few people ever visit this place and there's nothing but mountains for dozens of miles in any direction. so I am confident that I will not be putting anyone in danger. I am not trying to undermine the rules here and for the most part I will be in full compliance. I'm just getting a feel for how far I can push the parameters of my proposed setup. Thanks for making me aware of the VLOS 1600' limit, however. I did not know that until now and it definitely helps.

Reactions: NG Wildman
So you should push for the Air 2 , this will keep you happy and surprised and no hacks needed .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain/Snow and land on water.
Air 2 is an intriguing option now you mention it. I was hoping to spend $500 or less on the aircraft itself which is why I'm looking at the Mini series. But $700 is not bad for something top of the line like Air 2. I'm adding it to my DOI list. thank you

EDIT: the Air 2 is not goggle compatible as of yet. Any other suggestions?

I was hoping someone could clarify issues about video feed latency and range with goggles however. any info you can share in that area? Seeing as how minis are not goggle compatible it seems I'd have no choice but to utilize a hack.

Last edited:
Air 2 is an intriguing option now you mention it. I was hoping to spend $500 or less on the aircraft itself which is why I'm looking at the Mini series. But $700 is not bad for something top of the line like Air 2. I'm adding it to my DOI list. thank you

EDIT: the Air 2 is not goggle compatible as of yet. Any other suggestions?

I was hoping someone could clarify issues about video feed latency and range with goggles however. any info you can share in that area? Seeing as how minis are not goggle compatible it seems I'd have no choice but to utilize a hack.
Sorry I was under the impression that you could use the Goggles with the Smart Controller with the Air 2,

By connecting the goggles to the DJI Smart Controller using USB-C cable, users can see the camera view of the air unit on the screen of the Smart Controller, and then can transmit the live view from the Smart Controller to other display devices through an HDMI cable.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2 in the Pouring Rain and Remote Land on Water.

Reactions: MessySpiller
Is there a possibility of using goggles in legal flight? How? Do I have to be a pilot so I have to have a flight plan or do you have to be so remote where it won't affect anything anybody?

Is there a possibility of using goggles in legal flight? How? Do I have to be a pilot so I have to have a flight plan or do you have to be so remote where it won't affect anything anybody?
To use goggles legally you must have another person in your presence that acts as a “visual observer” as a member of your “crew”.

And as a member of your crew, there's certain Bling they must wear. Here's a site that carries FAA approved crew Bling:

Bling Bling Gangsta

il_794xN.3368436707_q04r.jpg

Do you have a plan for getting/using goggles?
Regardless of the area, you have to make a choice; stay within the rules or take a chance by breaking them. I can understand how you feel that in a specific area the rules make little sense. I think we all feel "over-protected" by rules from a central committee that don't don't really leave shades of gray. I dunno... How many of us drive 75mph in a 55mph zone because the speed limit makes no direct sense for the situation. Is it the same thing? I confess that there is no way I can stick to 55mph, but I tend to be a little more strict while flying as I am not right on top of the drone, able to make the same moment to moment judgement as if I'm driving.

I have been experimenting with VR goggles, (mostly with Litchi) and have recently acquired a "Drone Mask" set of goggles to play with. Unfortunately I have not been able to go outside and test them with a VO. So, just testing indoors. I did do some flying last year with my Mavic 2 pro and inexpensive VR goggles. It's a trip. Very cool, but disconcerting at the same time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada