DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles slipping off my head, anyone else?

I have the same problem as described by the OP. No matter how I put them on my head they only sit correctly with the goggles down. If I flip them up, they the band wants to move up, and it definitely is not snug and will fall off with sudden movements. I've played with them adjusting the angle on my head and they just don't want to stay put....

I have the same problem as described by the OP. No matter how I put them on my head they only sit correctly with the goggles down. If I flip them up, they the band wants to move up, and it definitely is not snug and will fall off with sudden movements. I've played with them adjusting the angle on my head and they just don't want to stay put....

Yeah I think DJI really made a poor choice when they used these two guys as the headband testers:D

images

All joking aside its so annoying that I am really going to try out a chin strap.

Rob

Mine are also slipping quite a bit- what hats are you guys using with them to jeep them snug?

I have been plagued the need for constant adjustment of the goggles because the strap at the back of my head keeps sliding up if I look down or I flip up the lens.

Then I saw this video, Almost everything he says in there about the picture quality etc. IMHO is rubbish but the head slipping issue caught my attention since I am having the same problem.

I don't know if the back of my head is missing a normal bulge that holds these thing at a slope, but my head is evidently missing ito_O

Whats your experience been like?

Rob
I wear a baseball cap on backwards. Works like a charm.

I thought they felt insecure, no slippage but definitely felt insecure. I ratcheted it down a bit more and it feels much better now!

This is a serious problem, as I have the same issue (goggles slipping off) and so must decide to keep them or send them back soon. I've tried different "solutions" but none yet has worked to my satisfaction. So if anyone out there in droneland can come up with a real solution, I and the others are waiting....... Thanks! And I love my little Mavic!

This is a serious problem, as I have the same issue (goggles slipping off) and so must decide to keep them or send them back soon. I've tried different "solutions" but none yet has worked to my satisfaction. So if anyone out there in droneland can come up with a real solution, I and the others are waiting....... Thanks! And I love my little Mavic!

If you don't mind going out with the full geek look, the solution pictured in post #59 will fix the problem.

Rob

Reactions: Mr G
New here! How do I find post #59?

Just above the reply button is the post number.
#59 is near the bottom of page 3.
Click the photo to see it in full size.

Rob

I was in the same boat and needed a solid solution. I bought a cheap bicycle helmet and used the straps to fashion a chin strap which allowed me to flip up the goggles using one hand and the confidence that they would not go crashing to the ground when I had my hands full. hope this helps.

I tried the same thing and it does work, but still a wee bit shaky.

I was in the same boat and needed a solid solution. I bought a cheap bicycle helmet and used the straps to fashion a chin strap which allowed me to flip up the goggles using one hand and the confidence that they would not go crashing to the ground when I had my hands full. hope this helps.
Needles to say that I have found them slippery too, my solution is simply putting on a reversed baseball like hat, it works great for me, very stable and avoids the sweat of direct contact with the rubber.

Reactions: Mr G
The balance of the DJI Goggles is very poorly designed. With the visor in the down position, 75% of the total weight of the goggles is on the front rim, 25% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position this becomes much worse with 85% of the total weight on the front rim. This means there is a large tendency for the goggles to continually slip forward.

By attaching a 300gm lead weight with Velcro to the rear rim of the goggles this faulty design balance problem can be corrected to some extent so that with the visor in the down position, 50% of the total weight is on the front rim and 50% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position, there is still 60% of the total weight on the front rim.

Unfortunately the addition of 300gm to a total weight of over 1kg is an increase of 30% to an already overweight headset! To add to the balance problem, the rim is very inflexible, with no width control, which means the headset invariably wobbles from side to side as well as slips forward. Overall a very bad design fault that needs to be corrected in the next version.

Last edited:
The balance of the DJI Goggles is very poorly designed. With the visor in the down position, 75% of the total weight of the goggles is on the front rim, 25% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position this becomes much worse with 85% of the total weight on the front rim. This means there is a large tendency for the goggles to continually slip forward.

By attaching a 300gm lead weight with Velcro to the rear rim of the goggles this faulty design balance problem can be corrected to some extent so that with the visor in the down position, 50% of the total weight is on the front rim and 50% on the rear rim. With the visor in the up position, there is still 60% of the total weight on the front rim.

Unfortunately the addition of 300gm to a total weight of over 1kg is an increase of 30% to an already overweight headset! To add to the balance problem, the rim is very inflexible, with no width control, which means the headset invariably wobbles from side to side as well as slips forward. Overall a very bad design fault that needs to be corrected in the next version.
I completely disagree. I find the goggles to be very balanced since the headband weight is mostly in the rear, and the visor in the front. The 1kg is seriously no big deal. Maybe it's because I tend to carry heavy using my own head for support, but the 1kg weight is something anyone should be able to handle. As for them being overweight, they have way more features than the lighter headbands.

I have just put my DJI Goggles on the kitchen digital scales (very accurate). By using two pivot points, one for the front of the rim and one for the back of the rim I was able to assess the weight distribution for the visor in the up position and in the down position.

In the down position it turns out that 80% of the weight is on the front rim and 20% on the rear rim. In the up position it gets worse.

Examination of the rim shows the angle of the inner rim is not at right angles to the force applied when tightening the rim. This tends to move the goggles upwards away from the line of force.

These two factors add up to a design fault that causes the goggles to be unstable unless considerable friction between the rim and the wearers head is relied upon.

Friction between the goggles and the wearer's head can be increased by:
1. Wearing a rubberised cap.
2. Shaving one's head.
3. Increasing the width of the rim.
4. Tightening the rim to just below the pain threshold of the individual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78