DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to buy DaVinci Resolve, should I install 17 or 18 Beta?

@Ty Pilot if you think about nodes like adRjustment layers in Photoshop etc they make more sense. They allow you to make non-destructive edits to your video.

I've really been enjoying resolve despite some minor challenges wrapping my head around some things. Tracking and most anything in the Fusion area are still a WIP.

Here's a tip. If you want the Speed Editor (which I've also fallen in love with) but don't need the advanced features of Studio (or don't want to drop $300) you can buy them used. I got one in excellent condition from Adorama for $132. You wouldn't know it's used by looking at it.

I wouldn't upgrade to 18 until it's out of beta. Based on what I've read, the releases are hit and miss. I think I read yesterday that r4 was good but r5 went backwards.

Thats a good point, as someone who worked for 15 years in Adobe AE, the best correlation I can make is that nodes in Resolve, are like compositions in After Effects, as they do the same things in much the same way, so I don't think I'll have a problem but that adjustment period is something I just kept putting off.

I did buy the full studio version (18) from Amazon and I even saw the bundle with the speed editor but in the end I decided I wanted to work with a keyboard as that is what I am comfortable with for now. I must say as I read and watch more about Davinci Resolve the more I am very happy with my purchase.

So I went to look at the speed editor. It looks like it has a lot of advanced features (buttons) for really deep editing, which is probably not something I will get into. I suspect from my years of work in photography and now recently with drones, that it will mostly be a couple of clips trimmed and merged together to create a single video. So all of those buttons on that controller may not be useful for me, although the wheel is probably nice. All of that said however, Amazon has a deal for $395 where you get DaVinci resolve 17 and the speed controller. So for $100, I get the controller. That might be the way to go even if I barely use it, would be worth it probably.
I think I'd look at the amount of footage you'll be editing for a project as well as the number of projects. For example, I'm going through a ton of footage from a recent vacation with multiple camera, phone, and drone footage. Many GBs of video. The SE is making it very quick to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Don't discount the center section. While its primary use is for multi-cam work which is very cool, btw), you can also use them to select tracks in your project.

I did buy the full studio version (18) from Amazon and I even saw the bundle with the speed editor but in the end I decided I wanted to work with a keyboard as that is what I am comfortable with for now. I must say as I read and watch more about Davinci Resolve the more I am very happy with my purchase.
I am a VERY keyboard-centric guy. I loathe the mouse. However, for whatever reason, I never stopped to learn the myriad of keyboard shortcuts for Resolve. I actually work with the SE in front of my keyboard. If there's something I need to do on the main keyboard, it's very close. The SE turns common shortcuts into buttons that are literally at my fingertips.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I found that resolve studio did much faster rendering than the free version. Even though I don't use ALL the buttons, I find the speed editor is well worth it, just for the jog/shuttle alone, although you'll quickly learn that other buttons save time too.
This was my thought as well. If I can get it now for only $100, I should make it happen. The kit is $395 for DR 17 and the speed editor. And then I can upgrade to DR 18 for free if I desire once it is stable. Seems to check all the boxes...

Dang looks like I just missed out... Earlier this year it was $299 for this package. So basically getting the controller for free. Oh well, can't catch them all.

Resolve updates have been free for some time, and they promise to keep it that way.

For getting started, Davinci offers tutorials and an excellent training guide on their website. Highly recommend them in addition to the random tutorials you might find on you tube.

This was my thought as well. If I can get it now for only $100, I should make it happen. The kit is $395 for DR 17 and the speed editor. And then I can upgrade to DR 18 for free if I desire once it is stable. Seems to check all the boxes...

Dang looks like I just missed out... Earlier this year it was $299 for this package. So basically getting the controller for free. Oh well, can't catch them all.

Not sure where you are as far as ground video cameras, or if you even have any, but another great deal right now is: if you buy a Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K camera (which still has a lot to offer), you get a free Studio Activation Key. That camera is selling right now for 1,295.00 (body only) but for folks who are looking to up their ground game it might be well worth looking into. A pocket 4K and the full Studio version of Resolve for 1,300 bucks is a great deal.

Reactions: WildcatDave
Not sure where you are as far as ground video cameras, or if you even have any, but another great deal right now is: if you buy a Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K camera (which still has a lot to offer), you get a free Studio Activation Key. That camera is selling right now for 1,295.00 (body only) but for folks who are looking to up their ground game it might be well worth looking into. A pocket 4K and the full Studio version of Resolve for 1,300 bucks is a great deal.
Thanks for thinking of options, very nice of you. For video I have a Panasonic G9 and very nice "Leica" lenses. Also a couple of Nikon D750s and WAY too many lenses, but never even used for video. So I'm good for ground capture.

Oh geez, don't get me started on thinking I need more camera gear. Hmm... :)

So, more to this saga... It appears that Adorama still has the $295 deal (with dongle). I know the activation version allows two simultaneous computers and the activation can be transferred/rotated as needed. The online activation flexibility is nice, but its just me here and if I ever need to switch editing over to another system (failure, upgrade, laptop, etc.) I can just grab the dongle and go with it. Also the dongle can be sold if I win the lottery and retire! Saving $100 seems like the smart thing to do. My understanding is the dongle will work for all versions, forever. Is there any downside to the dongle option? Opinions...

1657646929779.png

Thanks for thinking of options, very nice of you. For video I have a Panasonic G9 and very nice "Leica" lenses. Also a couple of Nikon D750s and WAY too many lenses, but never even used for video. So I'm good for ground capture.

Oh geez, don't get me started on thinking I need more camera gear. Hmm... :)
😆 Oh that train ain't ever gonna stop. But seriously, that G9 is a pretty nice rig. I am running my GH5 with Viltrox speed booster/adapter to fit all my Canon Lenses and it puts out stunning video.

Good luck on your journey into Davinci.

@WildcatDave did I miss where you can get Studio for $100?

I debated on the dongle vs key. Typically I hate dongles. And I only use Resolve on one machine. I don't have a need to move between machines.

@WildcatDave did I miss where you can get Studio for $100?

I debated on the dongle vs key. Typically I hate dongles. And I only use Resolve on one machine. I don't have a need to move between machines.
Well the initial package I found with the speed editor and DR 17 activation card on Amazon was $395, mentioned early in the thread. But I see Adorama has the package shown above with dongle and DR 17 for $295.

I am also not a big fan of dongles. What is this 1998, using AutoCAD or something (remembering old Parallel Port dongles) :rolleyes:. That said it works just fine and it really is just plug-and-play. Also the resale option if I ever move to something else (unlikely once I get invested). It looks like the only downside is loss or theft and you are out of luck (they do replace failed units). It will likely never leave my studio and if gets stolen I have bigger issues at that point.

Ha! I gotcha.

Great reference with AutoCAD. I'm curious, is the dongle USB-A or USB-C?
They don't show a picture probably because they would have to open the packaging to get to it. I suspect it's USB A since they've been around for years and I wouldn't imagine they wouldn't want to spend money reconfiguring

Thank you for the reply. I will probably go ahead and upgrade, as I just recently purchased 17. And since I am learning everything from the ground up there's no point in not learning that which is most current

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69