DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a response from DJI on lost mavic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grungymike95

Reactions
About two weeks ago, I lost signal to my mavic while it was 154 meters away from me at an altitude of 66 meters. RTH was triggered automatically, drone didn't make it back home. Gone. Got in contact with DJI last monday, they've just responded back to me saying that it's not covered under warranty. So that's nice. Not saying this out of anger or frustration, I can easily go and buy myself another mavic if I wanted to. But I am completely done with this company. I'm also returning the OSMO mobile stabilizer that I bought couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.PNG
    IMG_1433.PNG
    401.8 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Reactions: Rahysell1980
About two weeks ago, I lost signal to my mavic while it was 154 meters away from me at an altitude of 66 meters. RTH was triggered automatically, drone didn't make it back home. Gone. Got in contact with DJI last monday, they've just responded back to me saying that it's not covered under warranty. So that's nice. Not saying this out of anger or frustration, I can easily go and buy myself another one mavic if I wanted to. But I am completely done with this company. I'm also returning the OSMO mobile stabilizer that I bought couple of weeks ago.
Shame. Sorry BRO. Pretty simple though. Map out your known flight path, even if disconnected they said they had the flight data. Was there a building 30 meters high in its path? If not, bring that up to them. I have to say, unless you're flying in flatlands, 30 meters is a pretty low RTH. Were your sensors on? I've found DJI actually to be quite fair in my dealings but maybe I was lucky. Were you flying near buildings? Why did you lose signal?

Sounds to me the Mavic was functioning perfectly and doing exactly what it should (lost signal - RTH). What is the reason you are not happy with DJI, did they put that building in the way?

Shame. Sorry BRO. Pretty simple though. Map out your known flight path, even if disconnected they said they had the flight data. Was there a building 30 meters high in its path? If not, bring that up to them. I have to say, unless you're flying in flatlands, 30 meters is a pretty low RTH. Were your sensors on? I've found DJI actually to be quite fair in my dealings but maybe I was lucky. Were you flying near buildings? Why did you lose signal?

Yes, there was a 36 story high building in the way, obstacle avoidance was on, and the home point we recorded durning take off.

Reactions: mavic6611
Sounds to me the Mavic was functioning perfectly and doing exactly what it should (lost signal - RTH). What is the reason you are not happy with DJI, did they put that building in the way?
Once you lose control you aren't able to steer it out of the way so technically it wasn't their fault.

Reactions: Grungymike95

Explain reasoning behind the drone losing signal 155 meters away? It's advertised to have an over 4 miles range. 150 meters is nothing.

Explain reasoning behind the drone losing signal 155 meters away? It's advertised to have an over 4 miles range. 150 meters is nothing.
Radio interference and being behind building.

Look, I'm always on the side of the consumer. Even if you were in the wrong, I want the 10 billion dollar company to cover you but they don't warrant that OA will work and you lose radio LOS behind anything, easily. Sorry BRO.

The next step in avoidance will be 3D mapping where it won't need to see the building, it will know it's there like Google maps.

I wish I could say it wasn't your fault but if you had your RTH lower than buildings you were flying BEHIND, you're asking for trouble.

How about posting your flight log so we can see what happened and gauge whether the response from DJI was correct.

I believe the 4 miles is in open area with no interference. No 150 m is nothing, but with a building in the way (which I'm guessing is the case) no surprise the signal was lost.

I admit, having not seen the flightlog or know the details of your flight, I might be jumping to conclusions....

Radio interference and being behind building.

Look, I'm always on the side of the consumer. Even if you were in the wrong, I want the 10 billion dollar company to cover you but they don't warrant that OA will work and you lose radio LOS behind anything, easily. Sorry BRO.
About two weeks ago, I lost signal to my mavic while it was 154 meters away from me at an altitude of 66 meters. RTH was triggered automatically, drone didn't make it back home. Gone. Got in contact with DJI last monday, they've just responded back to me saying that it's not covered under warranty. So that's nice. Not saying this out of anger or frustration, I can easily go and buy myself another mavic if I wanted to. But I am completely done with this company. I'm also returning the OSMO mobile stabilizer that I bought couple of weeks ago.

Everyone keeps asking for flight log. I've no idea how post it on here, can't even upload a screen shot "error, file too large"

I believe the 4 miles is in open area with no interference. No 150 m is nothing, but with a building in the way (which I'm guessing is the case) no surprise the signal was lost.

I admit, having not seen the flightlog or know the details of your flight, I might be jumping to conclusions....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it use GPS signal? Meaning the signal goes up to the satellite and bounces back down to the drone, so even if there's anything in the way, it shouldn't be a huge deal. I could be wrong.

The entire time it was connected to 15-17 satellites.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it use GPS signal? Meaning the signal goes up to the satellite and bounces back down to the drone, so even if there's anything in the way, it shouldn't be a huge deal. I could be wrong.

The entire time it was connected to 15-17 satellites.

Whoa, you really need to read the manual and understand how this works. The drone uses GPS data for positionig, the controller have no contact with any GPS.

Edit: To try to clarify, the controller needs direct line of sight to the drone to be able to keep good signal. In an open area with no obstructions and no interference this should give a range of 4 miles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus