DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a response from DJI on lost mavic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it use GPS signal? Meaning the signal goes up to the satellite and bounces back down to the drone, so even if there's anything in the way, it shouldn't be a huge deal. I could be wrong.

The entire time it was connected to 15-17 satellites.

GPS is not a two way conversation, it's actually a timing signal received from many satellites the timing of receiving the signals is used to pin point it's location on earth. Mavic Pro receives only and calculates it's geographic position. Unlike a satellite phone which sends and receives data.

So I am somewhat confused, was this pilot error or was this a confirmed error with the drone / software. If it was a result of the software on the drone then does DJI not have proof of that, it would have been out of your control. However if I am reading correctly it was an oversight in how RTH and some settings should be configured that lead to the incident and I guess in my opinion anyway DJI can't cover that, the cost of replacing/repairing lost drones in these cases would be a high cost and they need to ensure strict policies to protect their business interests.

Its a shame it worked out that way. Would your home insurance not cover it? I know here in the UK some house insurance will cover the loss of a drone (away from home item).
Read the article I posted. This guy's bird (AND I SHOULD EMPHASIZE) that they are well aware that he is reviewing it was returned to him because the reason it hit the mountain was because the OA failed to see the mountain. I thought that OA wasn't a reason for warranted work so didn't think much of it but if I was in the OPs position, I would be pissed if I read this. Problem is he would have had to raise until above object set in order for it to have avoided the building even if OA saw it or else it would have just hovered there. But OA was the reason they fixed this guys but he had his bird.

I am sorry but I think it's bad piloting to not have your RTH set above the highest building but I am one of the one's ALWAYS wanting the consumer to win. I am not worried about it effecting the price of my next DJI product or how much they are making. They are a massive multi-national corporation that is making the kind of money (and soon to be more. I know some stuff) that will be the kind of money that is more than most countries, literally

Just a thought... it could be that the OA did work, but when the Mavic tried to climb above the obstruction it climbed into an overhead balcony.

Reactions: geigy
Just a thought... it could be that the OA did work, but when the Mavic tried to climb above the obstruction it climbed into an overhead balcony.

Doubt it. The OP already stated that he didn't want to learn about the drone. Since OA is turned off by default for RTH, it wouldn't have done anything but smack into the building.

What was your RTH altitude set at? What happens a lot is that you have the RTH Alitutde set too low and the Mavic can't get back home.

OP...have your found your flight log? If you post..some of these guys are OUTSTANDING at analyzing what happened..and where your drone is..or was...I've even seen a post of a guy posting signs and his MP was returned to him..and most of us want you to have your MP..but the basics are just that...BASICS...we all need to know operational/instructional info about what we're doing up in the air so we avoid collisions and most importantly...people..the more knowledge we have...the better we make it for all pilots...even if it's just to do a little aerial videography...I'm not bitching at you...just hopefully encouraging you to perhaps go a step or two further with your next MP...and help the whole flying community...and post your log..I'd love to see your flight log...Thanks...

What was your RTH altitude set at? What happens a lot is that you have the RTH Alitutde set too low and the Mavic can't get back home.
The OP would have absolutely no idea what his RTH was set to. Apparently the RTH function is coupled with the PFM* function, and together those two systems are responsible for a safe flight home under any and all conditions. The PFM system also removes the need to RTFM.

*(PFM = Pure F#@king Magic)

Reactions: geigy and Zorglub
And when it all suddenly starts working that is when the CCBM technology kicks in...

C=Came
C=Clear
B=By
M=Magic not to be confused with Mavic......

:)

OP...have your found your flight log? If you post..some of these guys are OUTSTANDING at analyzing what happened..and where your drone is..or was...I've even seen a post of a guy posting signs and his MP was returned to him..and most of us want you to have your MP..but the basics are just that...BASICS...we all need to know operational/instructional info about what we're doing up in the air so we avoid collisions and most importantly...people..the more knowledge we have...the better we make it for all pilots...even if it's just to do a little aerial videography...I'm not bitching at you...just hopefully encouraging you to perhaps go a step or two further with your next MP...and help the whole flying community...and post your log..I'd love to see your flight log...Thanks...

I have the flight log, the whole flight was about 4 minutes long. Im just not sure what I'm doing wrong but every time I try to post it on here my screen goes blank.

I have the flight log, the whole flight was about 4 minutes long. Im just not sure what I'm doing wrong but every time I try to post it on here my screen goes blank.

Post it to dropbox or a similar service. Someone will upload it for you.

The OP would have absolutely no idea what his RTH was set to. Apparently the RTH function is coupled with the PFM* function, and together those two systems are responsible for a safe flight home under any and all conditions. The PFM system also removes the need to RTFM.

Ha ha ha ha...my husband named his drone..PFM1...several months back..he said any military guy would understand...lol...

Yes, there was a 36 story high building in the way, obstacle avoidance was on, and the home point we recorded durning take off.

Wait a minute: You set (1) set the RTH altitude for 30 meters with tall buildings around and (2) there was a 36 story building "in the way" in the path between you and the drone, meaning that you were flying the drone behind the building??? Sorry, guy, but that sounds like multiple big pilot errors on your part. Don't see why DJI should pick up the tab for the loss.

I think the Flight log will show if the OA was ever even turned on or not. That probley will play a big part in deciding if there was a malfunction or fault of the Mavic. If it was truly never turned on then I find it hard to believe the OP would be upset with DJI for any valid reason.

My RTH altitude was set to 30 meters.
hmmm, clearly there was an error here in the the RTH altitude was not set correctly, but the advertising blurb suggests that the Mavric will also use it's forward facing sensors to detect any objects on the return path and climb to avoid it. Assuming it was not in sports mode.

Surely it would have detected a bl**dy great building and climbed out of harms way. If it failed to do that isn't that a DJI issue?

My thoughts exactly. I just got off the phone with them, they sent me this. Basically saying that it wasn't DJI's fault, the drone was functioning properly and the RTH was trying to do its job but it turned out that there was a "tin frame lay" in the way that the Mavic's OA could not detect, so it ran right into it. The part that made me LOL was he said it was my fault for not knowing the materials that is surrounding me. So I basically should've known what the building was made out of before taking my drone to the air. Hilarious.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 2.47.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 2.47.57 PM.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 118
Wait a minute: You set (1) set the RTH altitude for 30 meters with tall buildings around and (2) there was a 36 story building "in the way" in the path between you and the drone, meaning that you were flying the drone behind the building??? Sorry, guy, but that sounds like multiple big pilot errors on your part. Don't see why DJI should pick up the tab for the loss.

I did not manually set it to 30 meters. It was done automatically during takeoff. I wasn't even aware I was supposed to set RTH altitude depending on the area I'm flying in.

This forum is priceless. I am brand new to drones and have learned a wealth of information from this site. I did not know that OA was off by default on RTH. I will keep that in mind although I always set my RTH altitude much higher than it even needs to be. Keep the info coming - I would love to see the flight log analyzed by you guys.

Reactions: dlopezjurado
I think the Flight log will show if the OA was ever even turned on or not. That probley will play a big part in deciding if there was a malfunction or fault of the Mavic. If it was truly never turned on then I find it hard to believe the OP would be upset with DJI for any valid reason.

OA was enabled. Confirmed by DJI that the Mavic failed to recognize a "tin frame lay" and ended up crashing into the building.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 2.47.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 2.47.57 PM.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 65
I don't know why everyone is so baffled! The OP clearly stated he does not really give a flyingF about the Mavic or the loss of the drone. His post make it very clear that he did not bother to read the manual or do any research. This is just another don't care kind of crash. So far we have been lucky that one of these has not resulted in a drone dropping 100 ft and hitting someone in the head. I am pretty certain at the rate things are going that day is not far off.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun