DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a response from DJI on lost mavic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, lets get it Different, dji should encourage first time buyers to learn the basics of how things Work to avoid possible hazardous incidents like you have experienced.

Yh I guess. Im thinking about getting a new mavic without the controller, now that I learned my lesson the expensive way.

Yh I guess. Im thinking about getting a new mavic without the controller, now that I learned my lesson the expensive way.

I would too.. The MP is just too amazing not to own and fly... Just be careful around tall buildings next time and you'll be happier for it..

I would too.. The MP is just too amazing not to own and fly... Just be careful around tall buildings next time and you'll be happier for it..

Yh, I should've known better to not fly near buildings. I still don't get the point of RTH if it doesn't do its job though. But oh well.

Yh, I should've known better to not fly near buildings. I still don't get the point of RTH if it doesn't do its job though. But oh well.

Flying near buildings works fine for me... It's just that it's not very advisable to fly the MP "behind" the tall building.. As one of the users here pointed out, the MP and your remote have to have a somewhat clear line of vision without or with minimal obstruction to prevent cases like this..

And RTH , like all safe guards on this planet, are not Full Proof.. Try not to rely on it too much, at least I don't... so with that said, Try to map out some kind of rule for yourself in regards to signal lost prevention so you wont have to depend on the RTH and you should be fine..

Good luck bro, I know it sucks to lose your MP.. Stay frosty... :)

Reactions: Grungymike95

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 148
Sorry for your loss. I can understand why DJI are so careful and strict with their policies though. If they were perceived to be soft, people would abuse it for sure.

Reactions: Grungymike95
I had no interest in studying drones or how they operate.

If you have no interest in understanding how drones operate, then this might not be the best hobby for you.
Without a basic understanding of how the mavic flies, navigates, charges, takes video, etc, you are guaranteed to run into problems eventually. It's definitely not a toy, and I've never seen or heard DJI market or advertise it as a toy.

If you have no interest in learning the basics of your hobby, I would also recommend you avoid skydiving, hunting, and scuba diving.

hmmm, clearly there was an error here in the the RTH altitude was not set correctly, but the advertising blurb suggests that the Mavric will also use it's forward facing sensors to detect any objects on the return path and climb to avoid it. Assuming it was not in sports mode.

Surely it would have detected a bl**dy great building and climbed out of harms way. If it failed to do that isn't that a DJI issue?

hmmm, clearly there was an error here in the the RTH altitude was not set correctly, but the advertising blurb suggests that the Mavric will also use it's forward facing sensors to detect any objects on the return path and climb to avoid it. Assuming it was not in sports mode.

Surely it would have detected a bl**dy great building and climbed out of harms way. If it failed to do that isn't that a DJI issue?
It's disabled by default. You need to enable it first. This goes back to my favorite tip. Check your settings before you fly.

About two weeks ago, I lost signal to my mavic while it was 154 meters away from me at an altitude of 66 meters. RTH was triggered automatically, drone didn't make it back home. Gone. Got in contact with DJI last monday, they've just responded back to me saying that it's not covered under warranty. So that's nice. Not saying this out of anger or frustration, I can easily go and buy myself another mavic if I wanted to. But I am completely done with this company. I'm also returning the OSMO mobile stabilizer that I bought couple of weeks ago.

What is your takeoff procedure. Exactly.

IMO it is not wise to enable OA within the RTH settings. RTH altitude should be above all obstacles in the operating area plus margin. RTH Setup Checklist. The only thing left to chance, then, is that the GPS loses lock.

If you used a helicopter to get the videography you desired, you would hire an experienced pilot to fly it for you. Since the OP stated he has no desire to learn how drones work, if he does replace his Mavic, I would recommend he hires an experienced drone pilot to fly it for him. Otherwise he might as well just flush another $1000 down the toilet.

I always rth at 250ft.. No aircraft that low and now trees or buildings that high. Sorry I know this doesn't help your current problem but maybe it will be helpful for future flights

How do I post it on here? I'm genuinely asking.
Not sure if this will make you happy or piss you off but read the part titled "Repairabilty" and ask why you're any different than that person.

DJI Mavic Pro review: This is the coolest gadget since the original iPhone

Here, I copy and pasted it for you.

Mavic Pro repairability
Despite how hard DJI made it to crash the Mavic Pro, I did it. The good news is, the Mavic is as tough as Mighty Mouse.

While cruising above Camelback Mountain in Phoenix, I flew the drone around a cliff and out of my line of sight (a big no-no). The camera feed cut out, and the Mavic automatically entered into Return Mode after a few seconds. Unfortunately, on its way back home, my Mavic’s obstacle-avoidance sensors didn’t pick up the giant cliff to its right. It ran into the rock wall, but managed to stay in the air and fly home with two damaged propellers. One of the obstacle-avoidance sensors was damaged in the crash, as was the camera gimbal, but the drone remained flight-worthy.

Getting your Mavic repaired by DJI is nearly as simple as taking your busted iPhone to the Genius Bar. I shipped my broken drone to DJI’s repair center; two weeks later, they sent it back in perfect working order. Repair costs were waived because the drone’s obstacle-avoidance system failed.

If you do break your drone out of warranty, repair costs are pretty affordable compared to the total cost of the drone. DJI also offers something similar to AppleCare+. You pay $99 for DJI Care, and the company will fix your drone at significantly cheaper rates if you accidentally crash
I do suppose him getting his back probably helped.

Last edited:
So I am somewhat confused, was this pilot error or was this a confirmed error with the drone / software. If it was a result of the software on the drone then does DJI not have proof of that, it would have been out of your control. However if I am reading correctly it was an oversight in how RTH and some settings should be configured that lead to the incident and I guess in my opinion anyway DJI can't cover that, the cost of replacing/repairing lost drones in these cases would be a high cost and they need to ensure strict policies to protect their business interests.

Its a shame it worked out that way. Would your home insurance not cover it? I know here in the UK some house insurance will cover the loss of a drone (away from home item).

Reactions: mp_jhdd
GPS is not a two way conversation, it's actually a timing signal received from many satellites the timing of receiving the signals is used to pin point it's location on earth. Mavic Pro receives only and calculates it's geographic position. Unlike a satellite phone which sends and receives data.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb