DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a response from DJI on lost mavic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not manually set it to 30 meters. It was done automatically during takeoff. I wasn't even aware I was supposed to set RTH altitude depending on the area I'm flying in.

OK, but I'm pretty sure that that info is in the Mavic manual and in the Mavic tutorial videos because I was very much aware of the need to check and set the RTH altitude before my first flight. In my view you certainly should have been sticking to flying in clear open spaces and completely away from tall buildings and other challenging environments until you had gained considerable experience with your Mavic.

Setting a safe RTH height to avoid obstacles encountered on the drones return to home PRIOR to taking off to get your drone home safely is stressed very clearly in the manual. I do not think it's possible for the software to 'automatically' set a value during takeoff.

Although the drone is 'supposed' to avoid obstacles on its way home 'automatically' - that feature is limited to the collision sensors 'field of vision' in conjunction with the relative orientation of the drone as it 'flies' the RTH route back home.

I am truly sensitive to the agony that I know you must feel in regard to the loss of your drone - but do know that there are many of us that have had similar if not not worse losses than you have just experienced.

Chalk this up to 'value added' experience - it will make you much more cautious in the future in ensuring you understand every nuance associated with flying such a wonderful - but highly highly technical piece of electronic 'wizardry'.

Get back on that 'horse' and keep flying and learning - just my own very HUMBLE advice......

So I am somewhat confused, was this pilot error or was this a confirmed error with the drone / software. If it was a result of the software on the drone then does DJI not have proof of that, it would have been out of your control. However if I am reading correctly it was an oversight in how RTH and some settings should be configured that lead to the incident and I guess in my opinion anyway DJI can't cover that, the cost of replacing/repairing lost drones in these cases would be a high cost and they need to ensure strict policies to protect their business interests.

Its a shame it worked out that way. Would your home insurance not cover it? I know here in the UK some house insurance will cover the loss of a drone (away from home item).

It's pilot error, DJI warn about flying behind buildings and making sure to set the RTH altitude correctly in their top ten pilot errors video which is also available within the DJI app:

Edit - should check I had the right link before pasting, woops

Last edited:
This forum is priceless. I am brand new to drones and have learned a wealth of information from this site. I did not know that OA was off by default on RTH. I will keep that in mind although I always set my RTH altitude much higher than it even needs to be. Keep the info coming - I would love to see the flight log analyzed by you guys.

Welcome to the club Bro,

There is a wealth of information in this site, we all try to help each other out by posting questions.

Most importantly we all strive to fly safely.

Enjoy your Mavic,

Reactions: MAVA4
To the OP...

Whether life, or a horse that throws you, YOU get right back on. Keep your chin up, you should already know what color your horse is

I did not manually set it to 30 meters. It was done automatically during takeoff. I wasn't even aware I was supposed to set RTH altitude depending on the area I'm flying in.

@Grungymike95, here are the basics in a nutshell:

* You are responsible for your flight. You are the pilot in command.

* The commands you give are carried directly to the drone by radio signal. In optimum conditions people have gone for several kilometers. With trees or a building in the way, the signal is LOST completely very easily. You don't have to be an architect to understand this. Wood buildings, stone buildings, metal buildings, even mostly glass buildings. One fluffy tree. They cut the radio signal.

* As a safety feature, the drone has a strategy to deal with lost signal.

* If the drone cannot get your commands, it can RETURN TO HOME. This doesn't mean it magically has all the answers, it can only try to fly without your commands using its own sensor readings. The key here is that this is an emergency maneuver and it is not warranted or guaranteed to magically return home safely regardless of the situation.

* The drone's RETURN TO HOME ALTITUDE is a guideline for the drone. If that is set higher than the current altitude, the drone will fly up to that altitude before flying forward toward home. You should always set this altitude higher than any obstacles you might encounter during a return-to-home scenario. Every flight. You are the pilot in command.

* If a 60 meter building is in the way, and the drone decides to fly home at 30 meters above you, the drone will try returning to you STRAIGHT THROUGH THE BUILDING, and of course that won't work.

* The drone has a set of forward obstacle avoidance sensors, and if enabled, they MIGHT warn the drone that something is in the way, and the drone will try to fly higher. The drone does not have side or upward obstacle avoidance sensors. If the drone were to fly higher, and hit something, of course that will cause a crash. If the forward sensors are off, or the forward sensors don't sense a small thin obstacle like a clothes line or power line or a flag's hoist rope, of course that will cause a crash.

* Pretty much all of this is expressly described in the user manual that came with the drone.

* You are responsible for your flight. You are the pilot in command.

OA was enabled. Confirmed by DJI that the Mavic failed to recognize a "tin frame lay" and ended up crashing into the building.

It very well could have been on (logs will show us a confirmation) but I don't see where you got the confirmation that it was on in your letter from DJI? It doesn't say why it didn't see the building or what the failure is. For all we know it didn't see the building and crashed into it due to the OA being turned off. Again I can't confirm that it was or wasn't on at all by the info given. This is where logs come into play.

OA is not a full proof crash prevention system either. It uses cameras that don't work in darkness and don't work heading into the blinding sun either. So it very well could have been on and just didn't get a good shot to realize there was an obstacle. They are getting closer with these self driving cars but still obstacle avoidance is not guaranteed or full proof yet anywhere, just to many variables involved to catch them all.

Reactions: Fausto
Isn't the drone supposed to detect an obstacle on RTH and ascend over it?

I think that people have been reporting here that obstacle avoidance (OA) is off by default. Probably the reasoning behind that is that the OA sensor can sometimes be fooled (by the sun's glare, for example) and also that the pilot should set the RTH altitude high enough that there should be a perfectly safe path to home with no obstacles at the RTH altitude.

RTH obstacle avoidance as has already been said is not foolproof,

yes it can ascend to avoid but may crash into something above,

yes it can go sideways but it can not sense anything to the side so it may crash.

Many factors can confuse the OA it should not be seen as a complete failsafe, it is a last resort and an attempt by DJI to help those who do not read manuals and those who are inexperienced from losing their nice Mavics or dropping one on someone head or nice new Ferrari who has enough money to sue you for more than the 1000 dollars it took to buy a drone and not read a manual.

For me RTH has worked flawlessly on the three occasions i used it. On each occasion i fully expected not to see the drone again.

Fly in any major city and 250 feet will not get you home and in some nor will 250 meters.

In any city never lose sight of the drone. If you have to really fly in a city of course.

Even the very experienced Casey someone or other poor chap lost his drone (funny thing is he never read the manual either i believe, let alone a drone code).

If you have to take the drone up and try to gauge the height of the highest thing you can see land and set your RTH with a fair bit on top.

all fail safes are a last resort and are not reliable themselves, it is still very early days in drone technology, we have a long way to go before drones can truly fly safely with no pilot. (and on occasions even with a pilot ).

Maybe the OP will learn a lot from this and buy a new drone, as he stated he can certainly afford them no problem, Maybe he will now take flying it more seriously than he has.

I hope he does as for filming which is what he wants it is a very valuable tool, if he is going to make money from that filming then he will be losing more than just a few drones, like all the money he could have made had he read the manual.

Go buy another one, read the manual, i am sure you know better now, and if you don't then please give up drone videoing etc, it is not for you. You will not get any footage unless you know how things work, and with the Mavic there is a lot of stuff to actually work.

The video will not set itself and take the video for you, unless a new firmware update has been released i don't know about.

Just for that side alone i think you would need to read the manual.

i really hope your next drone gets you some very cool stuff and if it is any good post it up.

I am sure no one here hates you, but everyone does want you to read the manual <)

RTH obstacle avoidance as has already been said is not foolproof,

yes it can ascend to avoid but may crash into something above,

yes it can go sideways but it can not sense anything to the side so it may crash.

Many factors can confuse the OA it should not be seen as a complete failsafe, it is a last resort and an attempt by DJI to help those who do not read manuals and those who are inexperienced from losing their nice Mavics or dropping one on someone head or nice new Ferrari who has enough money to sue you for more than the 1000 dollars it took to buy a drone and not read a manual.

For me RTH has worked flawlessly on the three occasions i used it. On each occasion i fully expected not to see the drone again.

Fly in any major city and 250 feet will not get you home and in some nor will 250 meters.

In any city never lose sight of the drone. If you have to really fly in a city of course.

Even the very experienced Casey someone or other poor chap lost his drone (funny thing is he never read the manual either i believe, let alone a drone code).

If you have to take the drone up and try to gauge the height of the highest thing you can see land and set your RTH with a fair bit on top.

all fail safes are a last resort and are not reliable themselves, it is still very early days in drone technology, we have a long way to go before drones can truly fly safely with no pilot. (and on occasions even with a pilot ).

Maybe the OP will learn a lot from this and buy a new drone, as he stated he can certainly afford them no problem, Maybe he will now take flying it more seriously than he has.

I hope he does as for filming which is what he wants it is a very valuable tool, if he is going to make money from that filming then he will be losing more than just a few drones, like all the money he could have made had he read the manual.

Go buy another one, read the manual, i am sure you know better now, and if you don't then please give up drone videoing etc, it is not for you. You will not get any footage unless you know how things work, and with the Mavic there is a lot of stuff to actually work.

The video will not set itself and take the video for you, unless a new firmware update has been released i don't know about.

Just for that side alone i think you would need to read the manual.

i really hope your next drone gets you some very cool stuff and if it is any good post it up.

I am sure no one here hates you, but everyone does want you to read the manual <)

One more item. If he was flying in the US, as a hobbyist, theres no way he could maintain "line of site", behind a building, and if commercial, he would have been well aware of the consequences.

I can't understand all the wasted info being given to someone that said they didn't care to learn about his drone or read any manuals?? Coupled with the fact he blames DJI for his stupidity. It's not a learning experience when someone doesn't want to learn!

If it was me I would sue them in my local small claims court. They would be required to show up or lose. Chances are they will either settle out of court or not show up.

Seriously? The guy flew his drone without a clue of what he was doing. He flew recklessly behind a 36 story building and it was DJI's fault? Take another hit on the bong their dude.....

Reactions: Alabast
I agree with you Cyber.

I started out genuinely trying to help the OP, but stopped commenting when the flaming got going.
Don't think any good will come from this now.

Anyhow, let us hope others can learn from this tread :)

I can't understand all the wasted info being given to someone that said they didn't care to learn about his drone or read any manuals?? Coupled with the fact he blames DJI for his stupidity. It's not a learning experience when someone doesn't want to learn!

I think it's useful for other people reading it to understand what caused the crash and how to avoid it themselves, looking at some of the other replies I think more people now understand some of the limits of the RTH behaviour and ensuring the RTH altitude is set each flight. I usually pay close attention to Mavic crashes as it's useful to understand what has gone wrong and how to avoid it.

Reactions: YngveN
It would be helpful if all the post in the thread were.
That being said.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986