DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got hit by my Mavic blades

I think nothing will lol

The take away from all of this is "simply follow DJI's rules." One of the first rules they give you is to stay away from the spinning rotors, one reason I do not engage in hand catching. It violates one of DJI's prime directives.

The OP WAS very lucky he got off with the slight injury he got away with. Hit just right, the Mav's props can do some serious damage, as seen in several indoor crash videos resulting in cut up walls and far worse. I've been bitten badly by drone props - not with my Mavic but by a buddy's out of control Typhoon H due totally to pilot error- and I carried the deep bloody cuts around for weeks until they healed. Didn't feel good.

Hit in the face or eyes by a Mavic and real damage WILL occur, and none of us come with spare parts. Resist the urge to save your drone "at all costs." Remember they're making new drones everyday, but you are a once in a lifetime, irreplaceable model.

The Mavic blades fold , that's the key here . You met the blades with enough resistance that they immediately folded and your hand came into contact with the root part of the blade . Had you contacted the props at a slower rate the tips of the props would have sliced flesh like butter .

Thanks for posting this - was wondering if the folding props were safer than the solid props on some other birds. I won't post pics (don't want to relive it), but I mistakenly tried to pick up my QAV-250 with solid carbon fiber props, accidentally hit the throttle when I bent over, and nearly lost a fingertip in the process. These things are no joke for sure, so be careful and follow a protocol for disabling your motors before approaching or picking up.

Reactions: CC Rider
I got bit on my left middle finger and my right thumb trying to unplug the battery when the Mavic blades would not stop (STUPID).It cut right through my finer nail and gave me three laceractions. Bled like stink. My thumb sustained only a blood blister..

Reactions: Cutaway and stratos
I got bit on my left middle finger and my right thumb trying to unplug the battery when the Mavic blades would not stop (STUPID).It cut right through my finer nail and gave me three laceractions. Bled like stink. My thumb sustained only a blood blister..

Ouch that sounds terrible probably the tip does the biggest damage :( help didnt hurt too much

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Happened to me once too.
I was flying over water when a man came up and started to ask questions, but I didn't feel comfortable so I decided to land and talk with him, but in my excitement I landed and immediately tried to grab the bird. Caught me right and the nail bed and sliced me wide open lol i tried to hide the bleeding from the man cause I was embarrassed [emoji30]

Reactions: Cutaway
I think that someone on these forums calculated that the tip speed of the propellers when spinning at around 5000 rpm is about 140 mph. That's pretty fast. Imagine speeding down the freeway at 70 mph while holding your hand out the window, and another car speeding down the highway in the opposite direction with a Mavic plastic propeller mounted on the side of the car so that the relative velocity between you and the approaching plastic propeller is 140 mph.

Keep your fingers far away from the Mavic's spinning propellers. It's not a kid's toy.

I learned that with my P3P......not pleasant. I'll just let it crash next time instead of putting my and out to catch it

Can absolutely do considerable damage. My drone crashed into my office door in my foyer (stupid to fly inside) had a gimbal vib error and flipped out and started to bounce up and down so i tried to hit the power button and cut both hands badly cut through my finger nail actually . very dangerous do not take the plastic blades lightly its the power of the motor spinning the blades like a hatchet. lol.

I got bit hand catching. Done it dozens (if not hundreds) of times before, and never gave any thought to getting bit. This time, however, I reached up just a little to far, and it clipped my middle finger. The finger tip was numb for about 24 hours. It didn't break the skin, or even bruise, but it sure changed my confidence level when attempting a hand catch.

In my case, the RPM was slower than hover (it was landing) and my finger entered the blade path at about the half-way point. Probably about the best place to touch a spinning blade, if you have to.

Reading the comments on this thread reminds me of one of those old Billy Crystal "I hate it when that happens" SNL skits. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: RotoRanger
Hello fellow pilots.

So this weekend I was doing some test flight in my underground parking. This parkinng is 8 lvls below street level, so yes I was flying in ATTI mode.

So I got cocky and was distracted my quad drifted towards me an caught me by surprise (full user stupidity on my part).

I reacted by instinct and put my hand to protect myself, I fully hit the forward left blade with my hand and with the combination of the sensors the quad back up and then I landed it.

Yes it was full contact with blades at hovering speed. Aftermath: paninfull burn sensation a bit of swelling and very small superficial cuts. I honestly dont think the blades can deeply cut skin nor chop someones finger off, else mine would have definitely been cut, it was full contact with the blades.

Now the blades didnt chip nor break so all in all it was a painful learning experience.

Dont try it yourselves I was an idiot.

f931bca1dce96da6c81d60c888df8104.jpg
IMHO... you have angels watching over you. You got off easy. I've seen what these blades can do and this is less damage than I have had personally from my little drones. Thank your creator for watching out for you. Could have been much worse. Reflexes are natural and understandable. Be careful, these drones can be dangerous no matter what size. Glad you weren't hurt worse. You can still fly with all your fingers.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S