DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gotten insurance with State Farm? If so please read!

Thanks for sharing this thread. A few things to add

First, I have held off on doing this for a while because I had concerns about this being linked to my other insurance. A claim on a $1,000 drone is pretty silly if it drives up my homeowners by $5K next year. I had an extensive discussion with my independent agent who is also a longtime friend last week about this. She stated, as strongly as an insurance agent/underwriter/lawyer is ever willing to state that a Personal Articles Policy will no impact your home/auto insurance policies. She has specifically worked with her underwriters to understand the impacts that they might have and both from what the underwriters have told her and from 30 years of experiences, claims on these personal articles policies aren't going to impact your home/auto. She equated it to glass coverage on your auto. Barring 10 glass claims a year, filing a glass claim won't affect your auto coverage.

Second, she spoke with and was actually told by Travelers (where my home and auto is) that they would cover drones under personal articles. The response was more like "I don't see why we wouldn't" and today I got the actual quote from them, so other companies are starting to add it.

That said, third, based on the fact that State Farm has been explicitly covering drones the longest I chose to go with them. I just added the name of my local agent to the spreadsheet, he was great. Super quick, no questions or hesitations on the coverage. As has been said before the cost is about $2.75 per $100 covered, he told me minimum of $50. I'm covering both a P4P and Mavic so it's $73 with Mavic Fly More and base P4P. As others have said, you must provide the receipt.

So thanks again for the information thread & form. :)

Reactions: SRJ_Mavic_PRO
The catch is, if you keep filing claims, good luck on getting a decent rate, when you go shopping for insurance.

I did read here on someone who filed a claim on there Mavic and it was a painless process from what I remember.

I'd like to know about Farmers insurance too, as I'd like to move my home and car to them, would be nice if I could get similar coverage for some of my remote aircraft from them too.

To my understanding this is not true.. PAP and car/homeowners/renters is not the same and your car/homeowners/renters will not go up from filling a PAP claim with State Farm.. The only story I heard was someone making a claim and after getting a $1000 check in the mail State Farm dropped them (only had a PAP).. Understandable, after all it will take State Farm 16.6 years to get that money back on a $60 a year plan. Your best bet is to also have your car or homeowners/renters with State Farm and you probably wont get dropped. However I only have a PAP with them now.. paid $60 and was in and out in 10 minutes.

Edit.. Didnt know this thread was months old... lol sorry guys

Last edited:
I've got a question what if you bought your drone used or have no proof of purchase?

You do need proof of purchase but just to show how much the mavic is worth so if you need to make a claim they know how much to send. My agent was super cool I told her I didn't have a receipt etc.. She said see if you can get anything with a dollar amount on it. I went home typed in mavic receipt to google images, printed these, brought them in and she had no problem hooking me up with the PAP for $60 a year. She also told me I could go buy another one, let her scan the receipt, and then go and return the new one.

Edit.. Didnt know this thread was months old... lol sorry guys

I think I used this one below.. Cropped the guys hands out and the part that says return and had no issues. She made a copy and didn't think twice about it.

Last edited:
i live in MA and moving to CA . its not available in both of those states -__- what can i do ?

i live in MA and moving to CA . its not available in both of those states -__- what can i do ?

You can use a friend or families address in a different state! I read something on here recently that someone did it and had no problems! I think the State Farm rep even told him it was ok to do. Good luck and hope it works out!

ATTENTION:

I don't know if this has come up in this thread, but I live in New Jersey, and following the chart I contacted Dillon Corbo yesterday (9/28) and emailed him all pertinent information about the Personal Articles Policy. Since this was after business hours he got back to me this morning with some different information. Apparently there have been more claims than they envisioned so there is now a $250.00 deductible written into the binder. The premium was still $50.00.
I took it anyway since if I lose anything it will most likely be the Mavic. I insured for the fly more combo, so the difference including the deductible will still cover the current cost of the bird, unless they discontinue it and only produce the Platinum model. Still, $300.00 vs. $1300 is a lot easier nut to crack than no coverage at all.

If the deductible was already a known fact, I apologize for my ignorance.

Jake

ATTENTION:

I don't know if this has come up in this thread, but I live in New Jersey, and following the chart I contacted Dillon Corbo yesterday (9/28) and emailed him all pertinent information about the Personal Articles Policy. Since this was after business hours he got back to me this morning with some different information. Apparently there have been more claims than they envisioned so there is now a $250.00 deductible written into the binder. The premium was still $50.00.
I took it anyway since if I lose anything it will most likely be the Mavic. I insured for the fly more combo, so the difference including the deductible will still cover the current cost of the bird, unless they discontinue it and only produce the Platinum model. Still, $300.00 vs. $1300 is a lot easier nut to crack than no coverage at all.

If the deductible was already a known fact, I apologize for my ignorance.

Jake

Jake... Sounds like your State Farm rep is trying to pull a fast one!! I call BS big time on this so called excuse to rip you off!! GO find another Agent!! Total BS!! No deductible period!! Only agent that are low life scum will charge you a deductible!!

Reactions: RobinP and Neebles
Jake... Sounds like your State Farm rep is trying to pull a fast one!! I call BS big time on this so called excuse to rip you off!! GO find another Agent!! Total BS!! No deductible period!! Only agent that are low life scum will charge you a deductible!!

Well, it's already a done deal. I felt confident dealing with him since other members recommended him quite highly, but I will also say I wasn't surprised when I was told about this. Like I stated earlier even with the deductible it should cover a replacement Mavic when/if that time comes. I would like to know if this is a new trend or if in fact I got smoke blown up my behind, so I'm willing to wait if someone else has had this experience, and then I can confront him with some data to backup my findings.

Thanks for the reply.

Jake

I already had a PAP for photo equipment. It cost me $12.50 to add my Mavic. No deductible, all peril coverage.

Any idea if non -us residents can get this insurance? I see some posts saying the agent did not ask for an ssn. What about those that made a claim - was a ssn required? Has anybody asked this question more directly to check if you need to be living in US to get this insurance?

Any idea if non -us residents can get this insurance? I see some posts saying the agent did not ask for an ssn. What about those that made a claim - was a ssn required? Has anybody asked this question more directly to check if you need to be living in US to get this insurance?

They did not ask for a SSN, but you need an address within their state.

Thanks so much for the quick response ! I’ve got some friends living in the US and also have a mail forwarding address in NY. If they’re not picky about it being a mail forwarding address (you can’t really tell unless you google it I guess) then ill use my NY address otherwise a friend in Virginia.

I have commercial insurance but tried last spring to get State Farm insurance. Was told the policy only covered lost or stolen, no crash protection. If anyone has crash protection in their policy please send me a copy of the paragraph(s) that are relevant so I can educate my agent. Im interested if anyone has this insurance and has actually made a claim for a crashed drone.

I have commercial insurance but tried last spring to get State Farm insurance. Was told the policy only covered lost or stolen, no crash protection. If anyone has crash protection in their policy please send me a copy of the paragraph(s) that are relevant so I can educate my agent. Im interested if anyone has this insurance and has actually made a claim for a crashed drone.
Please note that the SF Personal Articles Policy is specifically for drones, thus using the wording "crashed drone" isn't applicable. With that said see the excerpt below.

upload_2018-1-1_9-2-18.png

Thats precisely what I argued with the agent. He said the policy language was never intended for drones and the company’s underwriters have issued guidance on drones and they fall under the exclusion. Hense my question, has anyone actually received coverage for a crashed or lost drone? Doesnt anyone think its a little odd that I could concevibly get my $8k Inspire 2 insured for $69 a year? For me it’s academic anyway, i needed a full commercial policy anyway which specifically has language regarding drone loss or crash. I was only interested in State Farm for my cheaper drones.

Doesnt anyone think its a little odd that I could concevibly get my $8k Inspire 2 insured for $69 a year? For me it’s academic anyway, i needed a full commercial policy anyway which specifically has language regarding drone loss or crash. I was only interested in State Farm for my cheaper drones.
No, when I added my I2 to my policy I also added each of my 2 lenses separately, being that each has their own SN#. With that said, my policy premium is now around $160 per year which is acceptable to me for covering over $6k worth of devices.

As I said earlier in the thread, I am sure I have an agent problem. I am still curious if anyone has actually cashed in on the insurance? I would still like to take advantage of the cheaper insurance for my Mavic when DJI refresh wears off. I hope somebody on the forums has the insurance, it's valid, and live in NJ. At least I can contact an agent that knows what they are doing.

Reactions: gbracer08
As I said earlier in the thread, I am sure I have an agent problem. I am still curious if anyone has actually cashed in on the insurance? I would still like to take advantage of the cheaper insurance for my Mavic when DJI refresh wears off. I hope somebody on the forums has the insurance, it's valid, and live in NJ. At least I can contact an agent that knows what they are doing.

There are two other agents listed in NJ that someone has already written a policy with.

State Farm UAS Agents

Where can i find an agent for Rhode island. Since MA doesn't offer PAP

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580