DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Government Employees owning DJI drones for personal use.

jaguar75

Reactions
I am a DoD employee and I want to purchase a DJI drone for recreational/hobby use but I am wondering if that will impact my employment given all the recent hoopla over the government and their fight against Chinese companies. Are there any Gov. Employees here that fly DJI drones? Is there someone I can ask?

Just supposition on my art but unless your drone comes in physical contact with your work device(s) I don't see it being a problem. Potentially, and I'm admitting it's a tinfoil hat theory, you may not be allowed to have your personal phone with a DJI app on it to come in to contact with any government tech but that seems too far reaching to me. You could try asking an IT supervisor at your job for their thoughts

Reactions: tlswift58
Just supposition on my art but unless your drone comes in physical contact with your work device(s) I don't see it being a problem. Potentially, and I'm admitting it's a tinfoil hat theory, you may not be allowed to have your personal phone with a DJI app on it to come in to contact with any government tech but that seems too far reaching to me. You could try asking an IT supervisor at your job for their thoughts

There's no prohibition on that either - I have all the DJI apps on my government phone.

There's no prohibition on that either - I have all the DJI apps on my government phone.
Thanks for that. I was just coming from the prospect of what might they potentially do under certain circumstances in a worst case( but still understandable) scenario. I know Hollywood blows things out of proportion of what can happen but there are real risks and the government is known for sometimes taking things to the nth degree. Or ignoring them. Sometimes both?

Thanks for that. I was just coming from the prospect of what might they potentially do under certain circumstances in a worst case( but still understandable) scenario. I know Hollywood blows things out of proportion of what can happen but there are real risks and the government is known for sometimes taking things to the nth degree. Or ignoring them. Sometimes both?

Government phones (generally iPhones) sandbox the official apps and data using BlackBerry UEM or similar, and so they are largely unregulated in terms of other apps that may be installed, with a few obvious exceptions related to misuse of government equipment.

I am a DoD employee and I want to purchase a DJI drone for recreational/hobby use but I am wondering if that will impact my employment given all the recent hoopla over the government and their fight against Chinese companies. Are there any Gov. Employees here that fly DJI drones? Is there someone I can ask?
Should not be an issue unless you recreationally fly this at work that is Secret / Top Secret.

The China issue is mainly for government purchase / use - not for an employee who buys a drone to fly on their own time. While the fed government has a lot of over reach - that would be taking it to the maximum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka