DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Signal Error Message--Home Point Me.

ScubaBob

Reactions
I live in Cancun which in itself contributes to issues. I have an Iphone 6 and all my MP software / firmware is up to date. I can sit on my balcony and Waze, Google Maps, GPSTracks, etc. all exactly pinpoint where I am. When I hook my phone to my RC, when on the balcony, I will get a 5 GPS reading but when I am at the beach I will get 14 or more on the iPhone GPS. Yet routinely, when I try to activate HOME POINT ME, I get an error message that reads, "Warning: Mobile Device GPS Signal weak. Its location cannot be acquired." I understand the concept but if these other apps can pinpoint my location why can't DJIGo4? Does anyone have any idea as to the minimum GPS signal strength for HOME POINT ME to function properly? Thanks.

I'm guessing that when you update your home point to the controller the mobile device GPS data required is more strict.

It probably needs a GPS signal with a good degree of accuracy.

Think about it, you wouldn't want it to just accept any old data and run the risk of your Mavic ending up elsewhere.

I agree. My question is, does anyone know how good a signal count is necessary? Also, what happens if you are using Home Point Me and are walking around and for some reason loose gps strength. What does the MP do for calculating the Home Point? I thought I read that it goes back to the last recorded home point.

I agree. My question is, does anyone know how good a signal count is necessary? Also, what happens if you are using Home Point Me and are walking around and for some reason loose gps strength. What does the MP do for calculating the Home Point? I thought I read that it goes back to the last recorded home point.
Ive not used it but as far as I know it only updates the homepoint to the location of mobile device.
It does not track or monitor it, if you move again you need to update the location.

Much safer that way as you get a chance to check the homepoint and less chance of a flyaway due to bad GPS data.

Ive not used it but as far as I know it only updates the homepoint to the location of mobile device.
It does not track or monitor it, if you move again you need to update the location.
I understand that, too. I have used Home Point Me successfully. That is not the question I am asking. I am asking what is the minimum GPS strength on an iPhone 6 that is required in order to be able to use Home Point Me? That way I know, as will you, that if the strength must be 14 and you only have 12 that you cannot use Home Point Me.

I understand that, too. I have used Home Point Me successfully. That is not the question I am asking. I am asking what is the minimum GPS strength on an iPhone 6 that is required in order to be able to use Home Point Me? That way I know, as will you, that if the strength must be 14 and you only have 12 that you cannot use Home Point Me.
There's more to GPS signal strength than connected satellites alone.

Where are you getting the signal strength data? I thought DJI go only reported GPS signal for aircraft.

Last edited:
There's more to GPS signal strength than connected satellites alone.

Where are you getting the signal strength data? I thought DJI go only reported GPS signal for aircraft.
From the bars on the phone and the satellite count on the phone. I have handheld GPS devices (and have had them for 20 years) so I understand that.

From the bars on the phone and the satellite count on the phone. I have handheld GPS devices (and have had them for 20 years) so I understand that.
I use android myself and there is no GPS signal meter or satellite count.

I don't remember seeing it on my previous iPhones either.

Go4 app does not show GPS either, only for aircraft.

I'll let someone who uses IOS answer then.

Using Home Point Me is a fast track to losing your Mavic. Just read the forum back several pages to see for yourself. Mavic has a robust GPS with large antennas, 10 measurements per second, unobstructed view of the whole 180-degree sky semisphere. Phones have cheap GPS chips with tiny antennas that can be blocked by hands, body, buildings around you; they're so helpless that have to assist satellite acquisition with cell towers and known WiFi spots. Trusting guiding Mavic to some POS GPS on a phone is pure insanity.

Reactions: Callum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851