DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching Mavic Air 2 Motor Shutdown

Slade

Reactions
I’ve noticed on Social Media many pilots hand catching the drone and shutting down the motors by quickly turning the drone sideways, even upside down. I wonder if such actions might affect the IMU as the drone clearly wasn’t meant to be used in that manner.

I don’t see the point of this. I always think they do it to look cool. I’d rather it land like normal with no possibility of me getting injured or dropping/damaging the drone

Reactions: Photodonn and Slade
I hand catch most of the time, I just hover over my hand and then keep downward pressure on the left stick until it's in my hand and the motors turn off. I'm with you, flipping the drone over seems to m to put uneccesary strain on the drone.

I do the same... although I changed from mode 2 to mode 1 a while back and then forgot when I went to hand catch... the mini shot backwards millimetres from my chest... and yes, I fell over!

• Wow
Reactions: dawgpilot and Slade
The reason I mostly do palm take off and landings is because if you are taking off from ground level the props kick up a dust storm, and the motors are open. Also, I'd rather my clean lens didn't get dirt from the dust storm stuck to it.

Second reason is taking off from uneven terrain. For example, a grassy hillside.

It does look cool, but that isn't my reason for doing it.

There isn't any need to grab and flick the drone through 90 degrees or whatever. I allow the drone to come down naturally and hold out my hand as it approaches. Nudge the down control a little if it's decided to hesitate about landing. Once it's on your palm the motors stop after a few seconds just like it does when landing on terra firma.

This is a good video as it goes through several methods of hand launch / land and explains the pro's and con's of each method and talks about the dangers.

Other youtube video's are available :)

I am going to have to try hand take-off & land, after a recent operation I can’t kneel down so pegging out a landing pad & picking up my drone is extremely difficult.

Like you I am keen to do hand launching and take off. I have tried a few times but always seem to get my thumb in the props. Also I am worried about dropping it onto hard ground after it lands in my hands. I have just fitted landing skids to my MM so hoping that might help.

My MM has yet to touch the ground, but I use the two fingers and thumb method instead of flat palm.

Like you I am keen to do hand launching and take off. I have tried a few times but always seem to get my thumb in the props. Also I am worried about dropping it onto hard ground after it lands in my hands. I have just fitted landing skids to my MM so hoping that might help.

Flat palm, like feeding a donkey!!!

I hand catch 99% of the time, Very very simple with the Mavic Air 2. you don't actually need much down stick and it just idles to a stop. I've had time's with both the Spark and the Mavic 1 that I've had to rotate it. I don't know why it doesn't want to shut down, and I really hate to hear it rev so high but ..one does what one has to do :rolleyes:

I previously stated “Method two looks doable”
I got out today for a test STUFF THAT ? hand catching is now for emergency use only.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurch003
I haven't tried hand catch yet. I have the Mini and it seems the tolerances for error are less with the smaller unit. Would be too easy to get my fingers into the props. I'll only hand catch in emergencies.

Reactions: Dbez1
Ok guys - this video is me. It's not a tutorial, it's just showing how I do it. My wife was doing the filming. The take off was good, but I normally do the landing better. I must admit to having spent the afternoon in the garden reading and drinking :)

David hand launch and land

My real name is David BTW. Wish I could change my username.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78