DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching Mavic Pro with Stock Settings (Simple/Safe)

Dirk, I just realised something! if you hold it as you mentioned but don't cover the down/landing sensor and dont' try and move the drone that would explain why it will just hover until you kill/cut the motor!
as I place my hand under the drone to act as the ground or if you grab drone in wrong spot then it will try to go up .

I'm just curious to try our your method, where do you grab it from? i'd love to try it that way.
Sorry for late response,family day.
IMG_6987.JPG IMG_6986.JPG With out being out and catching it and taking a picture this is the best I can do. I come in from the side and just grasp it quick then not moving it take my other hand and pull down the left stick . Is kinda hard to explain as I just do it but really the only thing I make sure of is before I step up to it I know it is above my eyes .
And again I have no sensors on .

The only issue I have with the AUTO Landing option is my way ensures your hand is in a safe spot before the landing.
I have personally made a mistake using auto land as there is a sense of urgency to grab it and I didn't line my hand up.

.. are you saying your Mavic keeps descending in Auto-Landing even if you put your hand under the bird? That's strange: I tested my procedure the last days two times to double-check for all of you following this thread:

- initiate auto landing hovering around 10m above me
- Mavic will start to descent
- as soon as I stretch out my hand, so it is in direct line below the Mavics body, it will stop its descent
- now the Mavic is hovering around 5m above my hand
- when I take the left stick down it will continue to descent, no urgency at all as I control the descent speed with the left stick
- finally I stretched out my flat hand, and it will stop motors as soon as it touches my hand, even no grabbing necessary (although I don't feel very comfortable to let the Mavic land on my flat hand without grabbing it, was only for proving that the motors won't rev up after sitting on my hand)

So maybe you'd like to give it another try with the procedure I described? I'm pretty sure your Mavic will stop its auto-landing procedure as well as soon as it recognizes your hand under its belly (in fact here the obstacle avoidance should kick in). Otherwise we both may have different settings on our birds?

It's a personal preference, but I feel more comfortable reaching up and grasping my MP and then shutting down. If you grab it in front of the downward sensors it will not fight you. The Real Heavy Metal made a nice video showing how to do it.

Reactions: DTC709
It's a personal preference, but I feel more comfortable reaching up and grasping my MP and then shutting down. If you grab it in front of the downward sensors it will not fight you. The Real Heavy Metal made a nice video showing how to do it.

I’ve been doing it this way since I got it, may have landed on the ground 1 time since. You can still back it in within arms reach then spin if you need to. Super simple and the motors won’t rev and fight you. First few times the weight is a bit more then expected but you’ll adjust quickly.

The minor rev up does no harm to the motors - if you've ever full throttled out of a hand-launch, you know how much the drone can really pull. The tiny increase in revs during a catch is, frankly, **** all.

Land in hand and grab firmly while throttling down. Whether your sensors are on or off - if you don't grab it firmly and you lose control with only one hand on the remote, you are risking someone's safety (it may be your own when you misjudge your grip and, as the motors cut out, it flops out of your flaccid fingers and lands on your foot).

TL,DR; Stop being wimps and grab it.

The minor rev up does no harm to the motors - if you've ever full throttled out of a hand-launch, you know how much the drone can really pull. The tiny increase in revs during a catch is, frankly, **** all.

Land in hand and grab firmly while throttling down. Whether your sensors are on or off - if you don't grab it firmly and you lose control with only one hand on the remote, you are risking someone's safety (it may be your own when you misjudge your grip and, as the motors cut out, it flops out of your flaccid fingers and lands on your foot).

TL,DR; Stop being wimps and grab it.

Tiny increase? Can't really compare it to full throttle as I've never held the drone to see how much it can really pull. For noobs like me it seems quite the pull which makes you wonder if it is harmful.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42