DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand catching safely

SeanOzz

Reactions
I know this is a bit of a touchy subject but many of us live in areas where this really is our only option a good chunk of the time. So I thought I’d share a video that goes over some of the better and safest ways to do so.

Hope this is helpful to at least one person out there.

Happy holidays everyone and happy flying.

3 Ways To Hand Catch Your Mavic Pro Drone

Leave all sensors on including bottom sensors. Disable landing protection instead of turning off bottom sensors. Always catch or release from above your head. Dont even bother with palm landing. The only way to comfortably keep palm parallel to the ground is below head level.

Leave all sensors on including bottom sensors. Disable landing protection instead of turning off bottom sensors. Always catch or release from above your head. Dont even bother with palm landing. The only way to comfortably keep palm parallel to the ground is below head level.
i agree with about everything you said. have a great christmas!

Good Video and Ok for experts, but this is not the type of thing you want to show 90% of the flyers - get a pad, or rug from your car, land it safely on the ground and keep your distance.

Regards Mike

Good Video and Ok for experts, but this is not the type of thing you want to show 90% of the flyers - get a pad, or rug from your car, land it safely on the ground and keep your distance.

Regards Mike
I don't know how you define an expert but I have been doing this since the second month of owning my (1st) drone several months ago.

I deliberately took time to practice this manuever even though I own a landing pad. It paid off. I dont need any landing gear accessories or leg extension for my spark or mavic. I already have drone laws and regulations dictating where I can’t fly. I dont want landing and launching area dictates that too by looking for a suitable landing pad location.

Reactions: SeanOzz
Yep used this Handcatch for my Mavic 2 ystrday worked perfectly.
Was on an altitude mountain range hike zero even ground .
Used standard land left thumstick down all sensors active landed in flat hand palm **

Reactions: SeanOzz
Guys, especially the moment you hand catch the drone don’t you feel the drone is fighting back to gain altitude ? During that moment I get a feeling that too much force is applied to the legs/arms.

Don’t you think that hand catching the drone on a regularly basis may damage the arms/legs supporting mechanisms?

I don’t really know , just guessing.

Guys, especially the moment you hand catch the drone don’t you feel the drone is fighting back to gain altitude ? During that moment I get a feeling that too much force is applied to the legs/arms.

Don’t you think that hand catching the drone on a regularly basis may damage the arms/legs supporting mechanisms?

I catch the body not the legs and keep the stick back and get virtually no 'fight back'. I didn't know people were grabbing the legs.

I do hand catching all the times with no problem and with all options ( sensors, precise landing ) on !

Reactions: Fplvert
"How to safetly catch a drone in your hands" is akin to "how to safely light a firecracker in your hand and throw it"! Or maybe "how to safely swim with stingrays and not get stabbed in the heart" Can be done but -----one day---

You don’t get any fight back at all in method 2 or 3.

I hand catch mine pretty often, the other day the prop hit my fingernail (about 20 times I'm sure)... MFK'R that hurt o_O

Reactions: JDawg
I catch the body not the legs and keep the stick back and get virtually no 'fight back'. I didn't know people were grabbing the legs.
Just let it come down towards your hand, lift back up a bit and then it will come down a 2nd time with no fight. I just let it land on my palm.

Reactions: Fplvert and JDawg
Every time I've tried to hand catch with the sensors on, it won't allow it. The sensors detect your hand, and it moves away.

Please don't hand-catch by grabbing an arm/leg of the drone. The first thing the drone tries to do is go up due to the downward sensors seeing something below (your hand!). If you have grabbed the Mavic by a leg, the drone will pivot and the prop's will pivot back into your forearm/wrist ... A decent cut across there and you'll not even have time to send a goodbye txt!

Every time I've tried to hand catch with the sensors on, it won't allow it. The sensors detect your hand, and it moves away.

Let it move away and keep holding the joystick down, it will move away for a moment and then come back down a 2nd time. The 2nd time it will land and shut the motors off.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky