DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand luggage or suitcase?

Stargazer55

Reactions
Hi there.
Does anyone know if I should carry my mavic-air and batteries on board a flight to Sri Lanka from the UK as carry on or in a suitcase. I've written to Sri Lankan Airlines 3 times now and I'm not receiving any response!
Anyone had any experience?
Thanks

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Cheers Porky, much appreciated. Really surprised that Sri Lankan Airlines didn't get back to me! ?

Batteries must always be carried in your hand luggage due to fire risk. (they don't want something catching fire in the hold where it can't be easily noticed or extinguished) The drone itself can go in your suitcase, but I wouldn't risk it due to theft or damage.

I always take my drone on holiday with me, never had a problem, even with airport security. I take my drone, three batteries, half charged in my flymore bag.

Told ya people would say the same thing I’ve said, so that should definitely put your mind at rest now.

Last edited:
Hi there.
Does anyone know if I should carry my mavic-air and batteries on board a flight to Sri Lanka from the UK as carry on or in a suitcase. I've written to Sri Lankan Airlines 3 times now and I'm not receiving any response!
Anyone had any experience?
Thanks
100% in a carry-on. Especially if bringing multiple batteries, you will have to carry it on as airlines do not allow multiple li-ion batteries to be in checked baggage. Would also look at carrying them in a small LIPO bag (find on amazon), not a requirement but airlines are happier and you are less likely to get any issues if you have the batteries in one. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Thomas B
Batteries must always be carried in your hand luggage due to fire risk. (they don't want something catching fire in the hold where it can't be easily noticed or extinguished) The drone itself can go in your suitcase, but I wouldn't risk it due to theft or damage.
Thanks Dawgpilot

100% in a carry-on. Especially if bringing multiple batteries, you will have to carry it on as airlines do not allow multiple li-ion batteries to be in checked baggage. Would also look at carrying them in a small LIPO bag (find on amazon), not a requirement but airlines are happier and you are less likely to get any issues if you have the batteries in one. Hope that helps.
Many thanks jp, much obliged!

Only on Carry-on. Never in checked luggage unless drone only without batteries. Sometimes security want to see if batteries are functional so keep partially or fully charged. Never used a lipo bag. Would think security would be more suspicious of batteries if in a lipo bag. Show confidence in your product and you will get a better security pass.

Agree with everything said here. Just back in UK from five months in Oz flying Singapore Airlines and they didn't raise an eyebrow. I had the Mavic and three batteries, no lipo bags, in carry on bag, no problems at all.
I was even tempted to fly it onboard but resisted the temptation due to the death penalty in Singapore. Had I done so, the Mavic over 23 minutes would technically have covered the distance between Afghanistan and India 35,000 feet below, surely a distance and altitude record for the Mavic???

Reactions: Looping31
I am travelling at present, onto my fourth airline and no issues. Found out the info on each airline website, under dangerous goods.
Some say checked but all the ones i’ve used say carryon is fine, so why risk it. I use a Lipo bag and just put it in the box through security.
Agree about knowing the rules and being confident. Most airlines and security know way less than you do.

Safe travels.

Batteries in carryon as no choice, but I always have the actual aircraft in the hold luggage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG