DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harping Again on Making the Videos Short

Editing any video so that it captures interest is an art and takes training and experience to master. What makes a video interesting varies from masterful to the creator and boooring for some viewers. That's life.
My hat is off to creative videographers like Marius Gabriel Popa who posts on Facebook. His videos are amazing flying backwards through obstacles. Whew.

When preparing a video or photographs for presentation, the trick is to mentally step out and ask, "If I was another person viewing, was the image(s) cohesive enough to hold attention? I always remember back to childhood when at family gatherings Uncle Joe would have everyone sit and watch 3 trays, I think 80 slides each, of unedited slides. Heck, if he'd shown the 12 or 15 best slides there'd be no groaning, fidgeting or snoring.

Hi Marty:

I am 81 years old! Like Uncle Joe, I was one of those guys who tried to show not 3 but 6 carousels (140 slides each, stacked double with a dissolve unit, 2-2-2) on three projector stands, and three screens!!! I made a major show of it with accompanying dinner theme (Italian dinner for Italy trip, etc.). Those days are going forever with the onset of digital photography.

So, yes, I do, indeed, step back mentally before publishing a film. That is why I keep stressing to anyone who listens on this forum of the need to shorten it up. I work on two platforms now- the platform for forums such as Mavic Pilots or LR Timelapse (3 minute films more or less) , and for my personal travelogues, which are longer because it is a major trip and I want it for my memories, for close friends who like my work, and for my 60 member Photo mailing list. For these trips, I create a 15 minute or so film (e.g.: recent trips - Greece, Iceland, Democratic Republic of the Congo-gorillas, etc.). If you're interest in those, Dale Davis

Here is an example of what i think is good drone video due to brilliant story line. It was posted already but I think its one of the best examples I have seen. Technical perfection is great but may not captivate or hold attention like story line. I would be very interested to see stats on this video to see % who watched this one all the way through for comparisons sake. Dale, I know you said you do not put your face or person in the video. I get that. But, "putting yourself into the video" may be more metaphysical than physical... ;) Go for it! You are a creator!

Here is an example of what i think is good drone video due to brilliant story line. It was posted already but I think its one of the best examples I have seen. Technical perfection is great but may not captivate or hold attention like story line. I would be very interested to see stats on this video to see % who watched this one all the way through for comparisons sake. Dale, I know you said you do not put your face or person in the video. I get that. But, "putting yourself into the video" may be more metaphysical than physical... ;) Go for it! You are a creator!

I could not agree with you more! I saw this video when it was published here before. It tells a great story of celebration during the time of lockdown. Not only does it tell a nice story, but it is well done, well edited, well flown, has a correct music choice, and is edited expertly. Not all videos can be like this. For example, it is difficult to tell a story when I am doing scenery, landscapes, cityscapes, which is my preference. Rather, I try my best to show my viewers beautiful scenery from the vantage point of the aerial view.

Re stories, I seldom see new ones at the time of shooting. When I review the footage they leap out at me. The more I fly the more stories I discover.

This also influences how I store the original clips, since you have to be able to find them again. I created a folder structure that categorizes the primary story of the clip. Sad to say it's not working. There are often multiple stories / key ideas in a single clip. In database speak I need to go to 2nd normal form, and not rely on folder structure. Tagging would work, but my NAS box where I store the files doesn't support macOS tags. :(

I'm going to have to start cataloging them in a database or excel to get things documented down to the right level. That's a lot of work, so it goes.

Reactions: Chip
Re stories, I seldom see new ones at the time of shooting. When I review the footage they leap out at me. The more I fly the more stories I discover.

This also influences how I store the original clips, since you have to be able to find them again. I created a folder structure that categorizes the primary story of the clip. Sad to say it's not working. There are often multiple stories / key ideas in a single clip. In database speak I need to go to 2nd normal form, and not rely on folder structure. Tagging would work, but my NAS box where I store the files doesn't support macOS tags. :(

I'm going to have to start cataloging them in a database or excel to get things documented down to the right level. That's a lot of work, so it goes.

I save and back up all files on two hard drives I buy at Costco. Both are large capacity ( 6TB for one and 5 TB for another). I label by Location and Date. for example, Miami, Bayfront Park Assets folder 6-10-2020. It will always be shown alphabetically on the hard drive files.

Reactions: rehkram
I've been working hard to shorten my videos, too. This is my latest, a 13 second fast-mo that I culled from 7 minutes of balloon video that was super fun to shoot but boring on review...
Let's Go Ballooning
Audio seemed much better than silent. Any comments?

I've been working hard to shorten my videos, too. This is my latest, a 13 second fast-mo that I culled from 7 minutes of balloon video that was super fun to shoot but boring on review...
Let's Go Ballooning
Audio seemed much better than silent. Any comments?

This is a great little piece of video that should be used as part of a longer (say 3 minutes) story. This video could be the intro of the story, with further footage from the balloon. The sound track for the beginning is ok but for the actual music accompaniment I, myself, would search for something more serene. As always, just my personal taste.

You can have the most expensive drone, flown by the best pilot, with the most expensive camera, in the hands of the best videographer, capturing the most breathtaking footage but unless the viewer is interested, it don't mean FA.

Do you make videos for yourself or for others? What are you aiming for? Why are you so interested in stats?!! Why aren't you posting on the more popular "Youtube" ?

re: My latest video, Miami Bayfront 2 1/2 minutes

Sorry if I sound like a broken record. Here is my weekly Vimeo viewing report. View attachment 104153View attachment 104153
average time watched. 1:30 minutes!!!
14 finishes
One like
3 comments. All of this for a 2:30 minute video.
38 viewsView attachment 104153View attachment 104153
Hi Dale,

I watched your video, all of it. First though I had to sign up to Vimeo, which took me an extra 5 mins! :)

Your movie is pretty good, I enjoyed it. But it is too slow in parts. For example:
- First 21 secs = 1 still pic of Miami
- Final 14 secs = 1 still pic of Miami

I would also say that your photography is great, but your videography needs a bit of work. For example, in your videos I did not see any
- Active Track
- Point of Interest (POI)
- Spotlight
- Very few drone cinematic shots like “Reveal“, “Overtake”, “Birds Eye View”, etc

For a video idea, rather than panning as you did in a few clips (which is almost at a “video sin“), try use Spotlight or POI on a passing boat (or the cruise ship) instead for a much better effect. Then you achieve your pan but you have also add a foreground element, plus a parallax effect.

Lastly, I really like your use of light, color, composition and leading lines. Nice work!

Hi Dale,

I watched your video, all of it. First though I had to sign up to Vimeo, which took me an extra 5 mins! :)

Your movie is pretty good, I enjoyed it. But it is too slow in parts. For example:
- First 21 secs = 1 still pic of Miami
- Final 14 secs = 1 still pic of Miami

I would also say that your photography is great, but your videography needs a bit of work. For example, in your videos I did not see any
- Active Track
- Point of Interest (POI)
- Spotlight
- Very few drone cinematic shots like “Reveal“, “Overtake”, “Birds Eye View”, etc

For a video idea, rather than panning as you did in a few clips (which is almost at a “video sin“), try use Spotlight or POI on a passing boat (or the cruise ship) instead for a much better effect. Then you achieve your pan but you have also add a foreground element, plus a parallax effect.

Lastly, I really like your use of light, color, composition and leading lines. Nice work!

Good morning TerryToast:

Firstly, let me thank you for actually viewing the entire video. I take all of your suggestions seriously.

The first still image was actually two images, one in black and white and then it fades to color. I worked a long time for that effect but, yes, it is a bit long. I believe I used it's the title slide.

The final picture, same answer, but in reverse- e.g.: the image turns back from color to black and white as the image fades to black.

You are spot on that I did not use the features of active track, point of interest, and spotlight. The simplest explanation is that I am a terrible pilot trying these maneuvers! Believe me I have practiced on them a lot but when I get up there in the air and I am afraid that a nearby policeman or self righteous busybody tries to take my attention from the drone, I simply want to get the shot and get the hell out! Remember, these pictures are taken in the dead center of downtown Miami, with lots of tall buildings and lots of obstructions around. I will continue to to practice the intelligent flight modes however. My only tracking in this film was the boat traveling towards the cruise ship.

My forte is not flying , but photography so I still need a lot of practice. Thanks again for pointing it out to me.

Dale

My forte is not flying , but photography so I still need a lot of practice. Thanks again for pointing it out to me.
The good news is that you already have great photography skills, which is by far the hardest skill to learn and which a lot of other drone pilots lack.

Learning to fly the drone and using the intelligent flight modes, is the easy part.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk