DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anybody ever flown in a national park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NP system was put in place to keep some of the most beautiful places in the country JUST AS THEY are and undisturbed. Thats how visitors want to see it. They want to see eagles, hawks, and other creatures in their protected areas. NOT your stupid flying camera chasing it all away. They should be banned over bodies of water. Look how many drones in up in lakes and oceans. Its these same Idiot "photographers" that will have drones hanging in trees and on cliff edges if left to fly wherever they want. The NPS system is a small section of the country.
Find somewhere else to get aerial shots of rocks and trees, and tell people they are from parks. Because we all know its not about flying in parks because of the pictures, its about flying where you are expected NOT to and getting away with it.

Reactions: Colberado
The reason they ban drones is not because there are responsible pilots that fly well and within the law. But like always in life, there are few that will trespass the line and will disturb the peace of animals and visitors. This is why the ban exist. People who violated all kinds of things it's why laws and more restrictions will be create it to even make less enjoyable flying.
Also, the possibility of a fire caused by a drone in a national park is worth not risking it.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
Reactions: Schnauzergeek
Yes I know it is illegal and no I have not done it before, but I'd be lying if I wasn't extremely tempted. My motto with flying drones has always been to be safe and responsible, which generally means NEVER flying over people, never going LOS, landing when helis are in the area, and notifying respective ATC's if necessary among a few other things. It seems so unnecessary to completely ban drones from national parks because they "disturb the peace". To a point I can understand that as drones can be fairly irritating to some people, but if nobody is around I really don't see the harm. What is your guys opinion on this?

FYI: As of Nov. 2017, you can no longer fly in State Parks in Connecticut.

FYI: As of Nov. 2017, you can no longer fly in State Parks in Connecticut.
Because nobody spoke to the elected officials or regulators or even wrote a letter or sent an email to present the other side of the argument. Instead hobbyists just let people who know nothing about hobby drones make up the ignorant “laws” and hide under a rock praying they’ll leave us alone. There’s a lot of that going on these days.
Get active people!

Because nobody spoke to the elected officials or regulators or even wrote a letter or sent an email to present the other side of the argument. Instead hobbyists just let people who know nothing about hobby drones make up the ignorant “laws” and hide under a rock praying they’ll leave us alone. There’s a lot of that going on these days.
Get active people!

Yeah, and they probably put a tiny little notice with tiny little print in a couple newspapers that this was going into effect.

There was a thread here about that. It was a racing drone I believe, and the drone pilot confirmed it was his drone that caused the fire.
For those who might not be aware, a racing drone is a very different beast than a Mavic or similar DJI quads. These usually run batteries that are pushed to and beyond the limits as far as high current draw is concerned (think: very hot). These batteries are usually just stacked LiPos, that are strapped to the drone and can be easily damaged in a crash. This type of drone is about as far from a Mavic as one can get.

If this is all you can come up with as an example of a drone causing a fire I’d say it is more like the exception that proves the rule.

Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ec/30/83/ec3083e936564769b69a6d32de49f15c--backyard-playground-rc-helicopter.jpg

Mike

For those who might not be aware, a racing drone is a very different beast than a Mavic or similar DJI quads. These usually run batteries that are pushed to and beyond the limits as far as high current draw is concerned (think: very hot). These batteries are usually just stacked LiPos, that are strapped to the drone and can be easily damaged in a crash. This type of drone is about as far from a Mavic as one can get.

If this is all you can come up with as an example of a drone causing a fire I’d say it is more like the exception that proves the rule.

Google Image Result for https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ec/30/83/ec3083e936564769b69a6d32de49f15c--backyard-playground-rc-helicopter.jpg

Mike
The question was;
Has there EVER been a case where a drone has caused a fire? In a national park or anywhere else? Serious question

So it was a valid, relevant answer. Now lets see proof that drones hurt, maim or kill people....... :D

The question was;

So it was a valid, relevant answer. Now lets see proof that drones hurt, maim or kill people....... :D
I’m sure they will dredge something up to prove drones are an extinction-level catastrophe just waiting to happen.

Mike

Reactions: m0j0

Mike

"Proves", in the context of that saying, means "tests", not "validates". The rule failed that test.

Yes I know it is illegal and no I have not done it before, but I'd be lying if I wasn't extremely tempted. My motto with flying drones has always been to be safe and responsible, which generally means NEVER flying over people, never going LOS, landing when helis are in the area, and notifying respective ATC's if necessary among a few other things. It seems so unnecessary to completely ban drones from national parks because they "disturb the peace". To a point I can understand that as drones can be fairly irritating to some people, but if nobody is around I really don't see the harm. What is your guys opinion on this?

It's not just a matter of disturbing people. It's also a matter of disturbing wildlife, including birds. I don't know if that's a good justification for banning drones from all national parks, but that's the rationale.

If they ban drones they should ban loud exhaust and loud music. That affects people and wildlife way more than a small drone flying 200 feet in the air.
Exactly! While your at it, ban screaming kids - they are much louder than drones at any altitude!

"Proves", in the context of that saying, means "tests", not "validates". The rule failed that test.
That phrase today is also used in the rhetorical sense: to draw attention to the rarity of the exception.

Mike

I once had the opportunity to go to one of the most serene places in Western Montana. They allow NO motor systems of any kind in the wilderness area, no chain saws, pumps or generators or anything else having a motor. It was most annoying to have jet aircraft flying overhead at 30,000 feet totally messing up the serene quietude and the contrails completely destroyed the natural beautiful blues skies. Guess they should ban those things too :) ... tongue well in cheek. The real world (parks included) has more than its fair share of visual and audio distractions. Curiously, in all this discussion about pristine isolated nature, my wife refuses to go anywhere where there aren't tons of people around. It's unsafe to be in a wilderness area under any circumstance for her as it's unsafe because of what MIGHT happen! If she wrote the laws, people would be banned from all wilderness areas because so many have died as the result of bad situations as well as what might happen.
LOL! My mother was like that - don't leave the house if you don't have to, or better yet stay in bed all day where you will be safe...

Get active people!
Kind of like non-gun owners whining, complaining & insisting on more anti-gun laws although they have never fired a gun in their life - I don't "like" them, let's get rid of them!

Reactions: m0j0
Kind of like non-gun owners whining, complaining & insisting on more anti-gun laws although they have never fired a gun in their life - I don't "like" them, let's get rid of them!
Gun laws are a good example. There is a bunch of laws that restrict guns and gun owners, yet anyone can still get a gun. Any future drone laws wont be any more of an obstacle to drone owners than gun laws are to gun owners. Its the criminals that will be penalized, not that they care anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying