DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anybody ever flown in a national park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, except for the most part this thread was never a conversation - it was opposing monologues. And once those had been repeated numerous times, it became completely pointless.
Agreed.... that’s why moderators are needed, not thread lockers.
There are serious legal and political issues being discussed here and articulate proponents of all sides. Let people talk!

First, I am pro drone and am flying frequently. I partially agree with the ban. Last year, my wife and I traveled from Maryland to the west coast. One of our visits was up to Mt St Helens. While there, some guy showed up with his drone and began flying from the visitors area. Was cool at first until he spent most of his time flying between the center and the volcano.

The mosquito sound buzzing around us quickly became annoying. Secondly, every photograph I tried to take has this guy’s bird in the picture. Finally he returns home just to replace the battery and continues back out.
At what point, as a park visitor, am I entitled to a good experience? Should I just wait/delay my trip for his enjoyment? What if they weren’t banned and over the course of several hours, different folks flying at different times. When can I, along with almost all the other park visitors, enjoy the view without drones buzzing overhead or being in every photo?

I do think a total ban isn’t the solution...maybe NP’s can develop a “ drone day” a couple of times a year with restrictions in place (such as interfering with wildlife)? Add permits and liability insurance and make the operator responsible for any cost for damage and recovery.

Agreed.... that’s why moderators are needed, not thread lockers.
There are serious legal and political issues being discussed here and articulate proponents of all sides. Let people talk!

I wasn't actually proposing locking the thread - merely pointing out that the incessant repetition of assertions and cherrypicking of arguments by a number of the more prolific contributors was not advancing the discussion in the slightest.

At what point, as a park visitor, am I entitled to a good experience? Should I just wait/delay my trip for his enjoyment? What if they weren’t banned and over the course of several hours, different folks flying at different times. When can I, along with almost all the other park visitors, enjoy the view without drones buzzing overhead or being in every photo?

Well, most talking points here would say that you were in fact not inconvenienced and neither was anyone else; also that the snowmobile and Hell’s Angels Harley gang driving around the rim of volcano on the non-existent road are much more disturbing to you and the nearby nesting falcons.

Yes I know it is illegal and no I have not done it before, but I'd be lying if I wasn't extremely tempted. My motto with flying drones has always been to be safe and responsible, which generally means NEVER flying over people, never going LOS, landing when helis are in the area, and notifying respective ATC's if necessary among a few other things. It seems so unnecessary to completely ban drones from national parks because they "disturb the peace". To a point I can understand that as drones can be fairly irritating to some people, but if nobody is around I really don't see the harm. What is your guys opinion on this?
Here is the last guy to fly in a national park

Here is the thing

It's a calculated risk right? If you're out in the middle of Kodiak National Park and there is no one around for miles and miles launching a foldable drone probably isn't going to get you into trouble. However if you launch your drone at the visitor center or at Old Faithful then you most likely are.

I have never flown in a National Park but if I hiked out into the wilderness for a week miles from civilization I would be hard pressed not to fly my Mavic 2 Pro.

Just go out of the park boundary line and fly in. That's not illegal. I did it many times at Zion even flying over the visitor center park entrance but never at a low altitude to incite park visitors. From my location I had to fly over the center but generally I find other ways into the park.

Reactions: NetDep and ColinF
Here is the thing

It's a calculated risk right? If you're out in the middle of Kodiak National Park and there is no one around for miles and miles launching a foldable drone probably isn't going to get you into trouble. However if you launch your drone at the visitor center or at Old Faithful then you most likely are.

I have never flown in a National Park but if I hiked out into the wilderness for a week miles from civilization I would be hard pressed not to fly my Mavic 2 Pro.
I agree. I would probably do the same thing. Some opportunities are worth the risk as long as you understand the consequences and don't complain when punished.

I agree. I would probably do the same thing. Some opportunities are worth the risk as long as you understand the consequences and don't complain when punished.

Sad commentary.

Why is it sad?
It’s a blantant disregard to the law on the backs of all drone operators in a hobby/industry that already has access being chipped away.
It’s also a completely selfish viewpoint of “I’m the only one out here, so it will be just fine to fly”. Anyone putting in the effort and time to be out that far has demonstrated their commitment to enjoy the solitude of the backcountry compared to the family in the parking lot of the visitors center. How could a drone operator verify being the sole person in a 1/2 - 2 mile radius?
Lastly, integrity could be defined as doing the right thing even when no one is watching. And a lack of integrity to me is a sad commentary and in my opinion, it occurs all too often these days.
Again, I respect opposing viewpoints and understand how they can be justified. I just don't agree with the rationale and result.

Yeah, it's a calculated risk, and illegal. Period.
Just because you have gone way into the back country doesn't mean a thing in this context. It's still a park, right? There's a reason it is.
Steal a car. Murder someone. Set a fire. Those are calculated risks too. But probably not things you would so.

Reactions: ems12
.....Steal a car. Murder someone. Set a fire. Those are calculated risks too. But probably not things you would so.
Well there you go, flying your plastic toy in a national park is analogous to grand larceny, murder and arson. Laws are laws after all

All I can say, is if I'm ever in a NP and see a drone in the air, I'm documenting it up and doing everything in my power to identify the pilot and help the Park Service bring charges. We drone pilots have a responsibility to help police our own, being as we are the ones that are losing the freedoms to fly. We drone pilots also have a better understanding of drones and how to find and identify the operator.

Well there you go, flying your plastic toy in a national park is analogous to grand larceny, murder and arson. Laws are laws after all

Perhaps you could provide guidance to the simple-minded among us who don't know which laws are fine to break, and which are not.

Perhaps you could provide guidance to the simple-minded among us who don't know which laws are fine to break, and which are not.
Point taken.... I will heretofore include a link to an online dictionary and thesaurus with my posts to guide the “simple minded” here. (Your words)

Note: if you’re going to troll my posts, please do everyone a favor and actually read and make an effort to comprehend them before commenting. You obviously have a lot of free time on your hands given you’ve averaged nearly 10 posts a day for almost 2 years. I suggest you use some of that time and take a reading comprehension class.

Reactions: badaxed
No, because I have ( Mod Removed ) respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a blantant disregard to the law on the backs of all drone operators in a hobby/industry that already has access being chipped away.
It’s also a completely selfish viewpoint of “I’m the only one out here, so it will be just fine to fly”. Anyone putting in the effort and time to be out that far has demonstrated their commitment to enjoy the solitude of the backcountry compared to the family in the parking lot of the visitors center. How could a drone operator verify being the sole person in a 1/2 - 2 mile radius?
Lastly, integrity could be defined as doing the right thing even when no one is watching. And a lack of integrity to me is a sad commentary and in my opinion, it occurs all too often these days.
Again, I respect opposing viewpoints and understand how they can be justified. I just don't agree with the rationale and result.

I would say yours is a SELF centered view. There’s room for all. Also, I’ve never flown in a Park. I have plenty of open space where I live.

Ps. I bet you follow the speed limits at all time as well! I don’t. Sorry

Point taken.... I will heretofore include a link to an online dictionary and thesaurus with my posts to guide the “simple minded” here. (Your words)

Note: if you’re going to troll my posts, please do everyone a favor and actually read and make an effort to comprehend them before commenting. You obviously have a lot of free time on your hands given you average nearly 10 posts a day for almost 2 years. I suggest you use some of that time and take a reading comprehension class.

It's not a comprehension problem. Most of your posts are logical fallacies - you seem to have an endless supply of them.

Sure. I've read every word of that nonsense document, back in 2014 when it was published.

You do actually understand that the ban was a TEMPORARY solution, and this document directed the NPS to find ways to INTEGRATE them into the parks? 4 years later... crickets.

The amount of paranoia, overreaction, and bureaucratic overkill is simply astounding to anyone who actually reads this.
What have you done to lobby for a change? Made a formal request? Written your political representatives? Anything proactive?

Reactions: Gringorio
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman