DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone registered their drone in Patong, Phuket, Thailand recently?

I heard monkeys can be a problem if you get away from the populated areas, like they'll grab anything they can.

Ha great opportunity to have your camera rolling. There are a lot around Monkey Hill. There is an old woman who will charge you a little for looking after your car because the little monsters will strip the rubber off your car doors. Funny as. I wonder if she trains them to do it? :)

Hi John. Im just up the road from Patong in Surin and i fly in Patong all the time without hassle. I wouldn't worry too much about it. And the locals don't seem to care about drones or privacy in general.

If you have your mind set on it though, i can connect you with the owner of an authorized DJI dealer in Phuket town. I bought my Mp2 and RE off him and he is legit. His name is Daniel, and if you go on Face book or google, and search DJI Phuket, you should be able to chat live with him via a chat box. If you have trouble, ill just send you his number. The place in the Jung Ceylon mall is terrible and it'll be the worst experience ever for you. Ive been through it several times. They don't have a clue about anything and will probably end up insulting you somehow. I'm (or a driver) are actually going to pick u my FPV digital goggles from Daniel today at DJI Phuket. If you talk to him, and he has documents for you, i can have them picked up for you and that will save you the drive.

Either way, have fun. Stay safe. And i don't know how much experience you have in Patong but there has been an increase in police checkpoints checking helmets and alcohol level.

Let me know if you need anything here, be glad to help

Thanks Captain El Elphant, I started working with Daniel about a year ago and I eventually did get my Thia licence with CAAT, a big relief. Been flying in Phuket and around Bangkok for a few years and feel a lot better now I have the licence which I carry around me when I am flying just in case some of the locals decide to phone the boys in brown or a boy in brown knows the law and takes me in for a chat! Most Thais now, especially boys in brown are well aware of the law and the potential time in the holiday inn.
I agree with you about the guys at DJI Patong, I had an experience with them exactly as you described about 10 months ago. The guy in question has now left and the staff now are a lot better than I experienced before. Just got a Mavi Mini from them yesterday, they seemed much different.
And I have noticed the heaver check points. I was fined 1,000 baht the other day because they said I needed an international drivers licence for a bike! WT... I have shown them my Aus driving licence for 20 years and it's never been a problem. They said the Aus licence is ok for cars!! When I went to pay the fine the guy said it's legit. I had left my international drivers licence in the hotel. Its just out of date anyway.
I feel a definite shift in general attitude towards drone flyers. Maybe it's just how I see it, but I think so.
All around I think we need to give Thais and particularly boys in brown no excuse to mess with people.
I agree most Thais don't care at all in fact they usually take a great interest in how they fly etc, etc even though I rarely fly in public now, even with a licence. There was a case of a farang getting some heavy duty time a while back, can't quite remember the details. Shame because a couple of years ago no one cared a dam and you could fly anywhere without a problem.

BTY have loads of vids of Patong and other Thai places, if you go to the web site then the YouTube channel and search for Thailand, the more recent ones are with the P4P but older ones with the Mavics. You will know this one a bit north of Surin, Thalang District. Beautiful Island though, finding more places every time I come here. You are lucky to live here.

Hi guys,
A little update if anyone is having the same questions.
I am Ben, I live in Phuket since 5 years. I fly professionally drones all over Thailand for TV, ad or real estate.
I have now personally registered 5 drones, as I must provide all documents to production companies I am working with for them to obtain authorisation. The process is way faster now, if you have all documents ready.
It's 3 steps that I describe in details on my blog.
Register your drone in thailand is one thing, but then you "must" process legal authorisation to fly, except over privately owned land. Be sure to ask if you can and just fly safely.
I deal more and more with local people knowing what is a drone and that there are regulations about flying it. I have been surprise when in the far countryside people asked me if I had the legal authorisation to fly. But I have never been in trouble even flying without a proper authorisation.

1-The first thing you need to do is to register your drone with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), you can find the address online or on my blog.

2-Of course there is a legal obligation to insure your RPA (Remotely Piloted Aircraft) as without doing so you would not be able to apply for your CAAT Licence. You will need to acquire minimum insurance of 1 million Thai Baht with the following information made clear;
  • Drone Brand
  • Drone Model
  • Drone Serial Number
  • Drone Weight
  • Your name as an insured member on the paperwork
  • Coverage is international or for Thailand only
  • more...
3-CAAT drone registration.
The online form is both in Thai and English so it is pretty simple to follow. Once you have provided pilot information, drone details and proof of insurance you will also need to upload the following documents to their website:
  • copy of passport
  • copy of visa or work permit
  • drone invoice
  • 2 photos of your drone with serial number visible
  • copy of your insurance policy in accordance with drone regulations
  • self declaration form signed and scanned
Once again, you'll find a whole article on my website. I regularly update it.
Lately overall drone registration process was 3 weeks...
Cheers
Ben-Spielben-Drone-thailand-2-768x432.jpg

Reactions: D_The_Producer
Excellent Ben, thanks so much for that. I was registered two years ago but obviously it has expired. It is so difficult to get into Thailand at the moment and if you get there I, at least could not get back into Western Australia.
As soon as I am able I will go for a few months and will look at your excellent resources. Chomping at the bit!

Reactions: Spielben
I dealt with this for a trip last February that I didn't end up taking because of the pandemic.

Exchanged a lot of emails with CAAT only to find out I would have to deal with the NBTC as well in person.

So this process isn't set up at all for tourists, especially first-time visitors.

For sure wco81, I dealt with an agent who did all the hard work for me. Unfortunately he no longer does this.
I will not bother until the day comes when it will be a reality to Thailand and get back home easily. This season has gone, I dont go outside the dry season. So I am hoping next November many will be vaccinate and we can all be free again.

Looks like nothing much has changed for the tourist. Still not really possible for an recreational pilot to jump through all the hoops, especially if only going for a couple of weeks holiday.

Reactions: Spielben
Be curious to see if their policy changes once tourism resumes and they want to make up for lost tourist revenues.

Be curious to see if their policy changes once tourism resumes and they want to make up for lost tourist revenues.

I am curious about that all over the world. Seemed like tourism was getting better, and now the US announces required tests before re-entering the USA. It's going to hurt Mexico and the Caribbean even more than they have already been hit...

Not that people carrying drones make a huge number of tourists wanting to visit Thailand.

But I've heard that Chinese tourists are flying without bothering to get any kind of permits anyways.

Well they started allowing tourists to visit at the start of November. But who knows, they could shut down tourism again if Omicron variant is a big deal.

I looked at Ben's article on his site:

Looks like the same process, only in-person registration with NBTC, then CAAT, then insurance (though I wonder if having insurance coverage already from policies back home would meet the insurance requirement).

Maybe if someone registers with the NBTC immediately on arrival, they might get through the whole registration process in a week or so?

But otherwise, they don't seem to want tourists to fly drones, unless they visited previously and went through this protracted registration process.

Well they started allowing tourists to visit at the start of November. But who knows, they could shut down tourism again if Omicron variant is a big deal.

I looked at Ben's article on his site:

Looks like the same process, only in-person registration with NBTC, then CAAT, then insurance (though I wonder if having insurance coverage already from policies back home would meet the insurance requirement).

Maybe if someone registers with the NBTC immediately on arrival, they might get through the whole registration process in a week or so?

But otherwise, they don't seem to want tourists to fly drones, unless they visited previously and went through this protracted registration process.
Hi @wco81,
Last time I check in my NTBC office, you need a proof of residency to be registered.
I just renew my MP2 license 2 weeks ago. This was way smoother than before
Except I live here and have access to all the documents needed.
Also someone mention me a solution "borderline" where you can get a temporary registration to fly in thailand, that you can process from abroad.
It doesn't look legit to me, I know the rules as I deal with them every day.
But scams are everywhere😊.
On a general point of view yes, Thailand makes it less easy (wasn't the easiest before 😊) to get flying permit for a short term stay.
This doens't prevent pilots to give a try. Drones' owners don't always show the best exemple. Regularly people give a try to fly, worst case is they have to pay key money if they are caught by any authority or face deportation.
Defying the law if you are a foreigner just makes you a excellent example for the governement to show how they enforce the law.
It is still a place where if you find a place to fly respecting local rules you can give a try. Don't be an a****le but be cautious. And face your responsabilities if you get caught. Even by a land owner, keep the smile apologize a ton, offer something (i'm not talking about money here) this could be a photo, a little video for them to share... Remember never make an Asian loose face, smile and you might be safe😊.
Safe flight guys 🙏

Proof of residency?

Oh well, if I do go (you have to jump through some hoops to enter Thailand right now) guess I won't need to pack the drone at all.

So I've been looking into this recently.

Supposedly you can do NBTC registration online.

However, you still need the visa stamp. That means you can arrive there and then register online instead of going into the NBTC office, presumably.

I emailed NBTC and they said it takes up to 5-7 days to approve. Then you have to do CAAT registration I guess?

So unless you stay at least a couple of weeks, may not be able to get the drone fully registered before your stay is over.

So I thought maybe do it anyways, because if I ever visit again, I would already be registered?

Well no, the NBTC registration is only valid for the duration of your stay. One of the things you have to provide to the NBTC is some documentation of when you are leaving Thailand.

Either that or maybe pay one of those services to have a local do the registration for you before you arrive?

Been here many times now and unless I come across some Mr Fixit who will do it all cheaply I am no longer going to bother. Way too much worry and effort to satisfy silly rules. I fly every day here, often many times a day. I just do not flaunt it. There are a few farmers/property owners who I ask if I can fly there and they end up "protecting" me, so to speak. So if the boys in brown were to turn up they would probably say "he's doing it for me" sort of thing. But really no one really knows the law or cares about it. Just be discreet to feel safer. And, cary a thousand or so with you incase someone does know the law that will easily solve the issue. Thais, in general are very nice people, we have a lot to learn from them, so with showing respect and care they will do the same to you.

Hi guys,
A little update if anyone is having the same questions.
I am Ben, I live in Phuket since 5 years. I fly professionally drones all over Thailand for TV, ad or real estate.
I have now personally registered 5 drones, as I must provide all documents to production companies I am working with for them to obtain authorisation. The process is way faster now, if you have all documents ready.
It's 3 steps that I describe in details on my blog.
Register your drone in thailand is one thing, but then you "must" process legal authorisation to fly, except over privately owned land. Be sure to ask if you can and just fly safely.
I deal more and more with local people knowing what is a drone and that there are regulations about flying it. I have been surprise when in the far countryside people asked me if I had the legal authorisation to fly. But I have never been in trouble even flying without a proper authorisation.

1-The first thing you need to do is to register your drone with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), you can find the address online or on my blog.

2-Of course there is a legal obligation to insure your RPA (Remotely Piloted Aircraft) as without doing so you would not be able to apply for your CAAT Licence. You will need to acquire minimum insurance of 1 million Thai Baht with the following information made clear;
  • Drone Brand
  • Drone Model
  • Drone Serial Number
  • Drone Weight
  • Your name as an insured member on the paperwork
  • Coverage is international or for Thailand only
  • more...
3-CAAT drone registration.
The online form is both in Thai and English so it is pretty simple to follow. Once you have provided pilot information, drone details and proof of insurance you will also need to upload the following documents to their website:
  • copy of passport
  • copy of visa or work permit
  • drone invoice
  • 2 photos of your drone with serial number visible
  • copy of your insurance policy in accordance with drone regulations
  • self declaration form signed and scanned
Once again, you'll find a whole article on my website. I regularly update it.
Lately overall drone registration process was 3 weeks...
Cheers
Ben-Spielben-Drone-thailand-2-768x432.jpg
Finally someone talking some serious sense after reading comments of people flying ilegally in Thailand! I am going through the process and it is very easy at the moment. I just paid the fee for the NBTC and waiting for approval from the CAAT.
Please guys, DO FLY LEGALLY wherever you go, and if you fly illegally, it'd be great if you don't post it online for others to follow through...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54