DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have anybody done a proper testing of those rcgeeks 3blade props?

paulatkin73

Reactions
Hi,

I fly all my freestyle copters on 3 blades. Usually it produces a smoother flight, but, in most scenarios, except of 1 model only, 3 blade props cut down flight time a bit. it takes less energy to rotate a 2 blade prop, but, also produces less downforce, so usually RPMs are a bit higher and in some cases it causes more lipo sag if you push RPMs and current draw up out of the ideal zone. but, with mavics i presumed everything was optimized by the factory for the 2 blade props very well. so, where they claim in the product description - "Flight 3-5 minutes longer than the standard 8743 props. " - i am very skeptical about it.

So, is there any consensus about this product? does it do anything better than a stock option?

https://www.amazon.com/RCGEEK-Compa...le/dp/B07K2WPDH3?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_15608841011

there is no enough reviews on amazon to form any opinion and i personally do not want to be a tester of this stuff using my own $1500 bird :) i guess that probably is an only consensus here, most likely? :)

or, if somebody actually got those props and did proper evaluation and review - could you pls chime in?

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
In my personal opinion, all the benefits claimed by these third party prop companies (usually a tiny increase in flight time and/or tiny decrease in noise) do not outweigh going the guaranteed safest route and just using DJI props, which were designed specifically for the aircraft after what I am sure was many hours of testing and engineering. Also to your point, and I think you also answered your own question somewhat, I would never change to an aftermarket prop design without a very long operating history as you don't want to be a beta tester with a $1500 drone. I imagine it voids the DJI warranty / refresh as well.

as you don't want to be a beta tester with a $1500 drone.

nope, i do not. :) warranty probably will not be an issue, as, who knows what props were on, but, why would i even want to try? i have 4 sets of OEM props to use... but, just curious, as, who knows. who knows, may be indeed this 3 blade design has some hidden qualities and adds a whole 10 min to the stock flight time. who knows.

Fast forward past "Steve's" walkies, and this video has a good intro to these 3-blade prop's on a Mavic Pro:

nope, i do not. :) warranty probably will not be an issue, as, who knows what props were on, but, why would i even want to try? i have 4 sets of OEM props to use... but, just curious, as, who knows. who knows, may be indeed this 3 blade design has some hidden qualities and adds a whole 10 min to the stock flight time. who knows.

Do you really think that DJI has not thoroughly tested all these kinds of designs?

Do you really think that DJI has not thoroughly tested all these kinds of designs?
frankly not sure if they did. 3 blades are not compact and would not fit original design. plus, carbon fiber would not be supplied as it is way more unsafe than soft plastic - carbon will cut skin and shutter at the impact instead of bending.
but, theoretically, may be more efficient. or, may not. :)

The blade design is the same profile and pitch as the 2-blade DJI 'quiet' prop's for the Mavic Pro Platimum. Due to the stiffness of carbon-fibre, I'd be surprised if any test results weren't pretty much identical to the 2-blade version of this c-f prop' i.e. the motors will show lower rpm, but will need to pull more current to spin these prop's. That means shorter flight durations (compared to DJI 'quiet'), and lower top speeds in any mode of flight. Looks like the Mavic's response is much sharper and it's stability 'may' be improved ... But nothing 'stellar' that would make these prop's main-line over DJI stock (or Master Airscrew!).

a 3 blader will be slightly less efficient than a 2 blader and be harder to balance.
Only bona-fide reason to use a 3 or more bladed prop is if you cant absorb the power of the motor without running into clearance/structural problems due to increasing blade size

The 3 blade will increase stopping ability, so you will have to soften that in your settings. No big deal. I fly free style quads 5" and 2 blades props are old school , 3 and even 4 blade get better bite therefore fly more predictable. The Mavic has no need for that since it's not a race quad or a freestyle quad. 2 blade has less prop wash, fly smoother and use less amps while doing altitude gains quickly. Once your cat your set altitude I'm sure you'll see the RPMs drop to maintain altitude. My overall untested opinion. Other then looks , dont waist your money. Try some AirScrew props if your looking for a worthy upgrade. Again . My opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan