DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Headed to San Francisco

With that Advisory AND the fearsome winds in that area, I'd never consider flying there. It photographs well enough with absolutely no risk.

So after much debate, the places that I see are okay to fly in SF are:

1. Treasure Island
2. Grizzly Peak
3. Old Alameda Air Station (How do I get there?)
4. Berkley’s Marina (Where exactly?)
5. Cesar Chavez Park

Anywhere else I should fly at?

Reactions: jointeffort

1. Treasure Island
2. Grizzly Peak
5. Cesar Chavez Park

Maybe (4) and (5) are the same? Cesar Chavez Park is at the Berkeley Marina.

Hi all, I found lots of conflicting info online about whether it's ok to fly drones in GG Park. Many who believe it's banned point to the moratorium on flying drones in SF parks, which was once posted on the SF Parks & Recreation web site. That link is no longer valid and there is nothing about the drone ban on their site anymore. So I decided to call the SFPD Park district station and just ask them. The officer who answered the phone wasn't sure so she put me on hold and asked. Her answer: Yes, we are not aware of any reason why you can't fly your drone in GG park!

1. Treasure Island
2. Grizzly Peak
5. Cesar Chavez Park

Just an fyi. Me and a couple of my friends tried to fly our drones at the old Alameda Base. My friend got his up in the air and literally a minute later a police officer told us we couldn't fly there. He was really cool about it though. No attitude. He told us about how he knows it's the bad apples that make it tough for the rest of us who follow rules. Funny thing he later asked another of my friend to show him how easy it was to fly. He was just doing his job. But I thought it was funny he asked my friend to get his drone in the air after he told us we couldn't fly there.

Just an fyi. Me and a couple of my friends tried to fly our drones at the old Alameda Base. My friend got his up in the air and literally a minute later a police officer told us we couldn't fly there. He was really cool about it though. No attitude. He told us about how he knows it's the bad apples that make it tough for the rest of us who follow rules. Funny thing he later asked another of my friend to show him how easy it was to fly. He was just doing his job. But I thought it was funny he asked my friend to get his drone in the air after he told us we couldn't fly there.

Seems like any time this happens though, it's imperative that the person ask the police if there's an actual statute they can point to. It's unfortunate, but far too often, it seems like they're just told "no" and don't actually know whether it's the law.

Seems like any time this happens though, it's imperative that the person ask the police if there's an actual statute they can point to. It's unfortunate, but far too often, it seems like they're just told "no" and don't actually know whether it's the law.

True, but I guess I don't want to be "that guy" that challenges authority with rules and regulations. Like I said he was cool about it. Came up to us with no attitude. Said people that lived within the base (there are low income homes inside the base) have been complaining. It was easier to just oblige and go someplace else. Wasn't a big deal for us. But I do get what you are saying. Maybe if it was an officer who acted like he was God then maybe we would've asked questions about rules and regulations. But he was cool, so we were cool.

Did a months holiday in August, West coast trip and have to say so disappointed in San Fran, my least favourite place of whole tour. Okay, bridge was nice, Alcatraz and Sausalito.
Hated, city area with so many homeless, drugs and wow is it expensive. It makes Paris, Rome and London look cheap.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and I can count on one hand the number of times I went into S.F. in my entire life. It has become a "cesspool", dirty, druggies, homeless (bums), and generally not safe to go, especially after sunset.
You can go to say Yes, I was in S.F, but you will tell the same story I just did.

Good luck/time on your trip, and you will have a better time/experience anyplace North, and South of S.F.

Reactions: Atko and ascension
I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and I can count on one hand the number of times I went into S.F. in my entire life. It has become a "cesspool", dirty, druggies, homeless (bums), and generally not safe to go, especially after sunset.
You can go to say Yes, I was in S.F, but you will tell the same story I just did.

Good luck/time on your trip, and you will have a better time/experience anyplace North, and South of S.F.

Couldn't agree more. Got married on Treasure Island and lived in the Bay Area for years, doing reserve flying from Alameda. Left there before my first child started kindergarten because I couldn't stand the thought of him being in school there.
A real lesson in bad politics screwing up a nice area.
Would never visit there.

Reactions: Atko and Flycaster

Sorry, i take no pleasure in saying what i thought of San fran city centre, but there are lovely areas on the outskirts. We loved our west coast tour apart from San Francisco, real shame.

Just to add, love the states have been 5 times different areas, but mainly east coast, but boy has the cost of living gone up despite the sterling / dollar differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flycaster
I 2nd Treasure Island....you can get an awesome view of the city and plenty of areas to launch with no problems. The wind can be pretty high though so make sure your ready to flip it in SPORT mode.

Also go check out the DJI store if you have time.

Apparently parts of it are privately owned and policed. Even though by law the whole area is public property, companies around the areas think they can police it and ask people to pay or just don’t fly there. I was flying my drone and got told off but saw some people doing it before I did and no problem. He was a nice guy like you said but annoying nevertheless

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N