DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helipad on car hood?

I have a 2011 F 150, the body isn't aluminum. I have launched from the composite bed cover with my Mini 1 and it was fine, when I tried with the Mini 2 I did get a few compass warnings. Ford didn't start making the aluminum bodied trucks until 2015.
Yeah I was corrected on that. Gonna tell you what though it sure is lots thinner now. Why I have issues with it Vs my 90 which was thicker unless like sar said in post 35 beats me.

Reactions: teeroy
Yeah I was corrected on that. Gonna tell you what though it sure is lots thinner now. Why I have issues with it Vs my 90 which was thicker unless like sar said in post 35 beats me.
Yes - and it's worth bearing in mind that most sheet steel production doesn't appear to control for whether the product is magnetized. If they handle it with large electromagnets then it quite likely will be, otherwise not so much. Similarly with the end users of the product - how it is handled will make a big difference. It takes a fairly strong magnetic field but steel is easily magnetized, and easily demagnetized.

Reactions: dirkclod
I think the hoods are aluminum but the rest is steel. I just found it weird that launching from the tonneau it didn't have any effect on my Mini 1 but does on the Mini 2. I just can't remember if I powered them up differently and maybe that was why.

Reactions: dirkclod
Update:

I have been lifting and landing from my car hood pad for over a dozen flights now with zero issues.

It is the perfect solution to some of the concerns I was having.

One of the areas I am a frequent flyer in is an extremely large Amazon warehouse construction site that I have been documenting. I find that I must launch from a parking lot that has a steady flow of traffic. My fear is that in the last seconds as I am landing someone will slip into the parking space that I am about to land in and smash my drone. Also I will sometimes temporarily land the drone to adjust camera settings or other tasks and having it sit right there on the hood in front of me just feels better and I am in no rush to pick it up out of potential harms way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR