DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Middle Tennessee

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and live in Middle Tennessee. Literally, I live a few miles from the landmark denoting the geographic center of the state. ;-)

My gateway drone was a Mavic Mini 2, purchased about 2-1/2 years ago. Within 6 months, I'd also purchased a Mavic 2 Pro. I don't read up on the latest Mavic drones, as I really can't afford another 'upgrade'.

Got my 107 cert in January 2021.

Most of my flying is for inspection photos related to insurance claims. I'm interested in expanding my creative use of the drones, but really need to find the time.

I'm currently trying to sort out the current apps needed to fly safely and get needed authorizations. For flight planning, I research on my laptop in my office and in my truck. Use my Android phone in the field. And fly with a Galaxy Tab A7.

[edit] Oh, and my name is Jon.

Last edited:
Welcome, Jon, beautiful state you have there. Having been an OTR truck driver for five years, I've traversed TN pretty well and it's on my short list of places to escape to should PA keep going the way it is. Dead center should put you somewhere between Knoxville and the Choo-Choo. About 100 acres of wooded territory around there would suit me just fine.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I'm currently trying to sort out the current apps needed to fly safely and get needed authorizations.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2 and the Mavic 2 Pro, including the User Manuals.

After you read the Manuals, read them again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…" And Best of All, if you use your drones to their Maximum Potiential, you may not need to upgrade…

I would add these two Apps to your application arsenal, Windy.Com and Drone Up.

Windy.com is so much more than UAV Forecast, but who really uses it to check the Satellite Count? But with Windy, you can scroll the map over to the location of your work or perform a search and check so much like wind, temp, rain, snow, frost, waves, lightning, etc… and it's especially helpful if your job site is several hours drive away.

Here is a link to a posting I did on Windy recently…

The DroneUp App is a great App that basically replaces B4UFly. The maps can be scrolled or searched to the job location and the maps appear as Google Map view, streets, names, building outlines, the FAA Altitude Zones, with easy to read numbers. And the best, it's LAANC enabled…

When I am ready to request an FAA Authorization, I often bring up DroneUp on my Tablet, and take a Screen Shot and then I import the photo to an editor and I will put notes on the map (Name, address, License Number, Lat/Long), circle or mark off the areas of interest, etc and submit that with my request for an authorization to FAADroneZone…

Here are a couple of samples to fly in Class D Airspace of and Air Force Base, the one on the left was to request permission to perform Roof inspections on the whole block and as you can see the demarcation between the 400-foot and the Zero-Foot Altitude authorization ran done the middle of the street. The one on the right was just for fun flying…

Fly On and Fly Safe…

View 1.jpg

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2 and the Mavic 2 Pro, including the User Manuals.

After you read the Manuals, read them again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…" And Best of All, if you use your drones to their Maximum Potiential, you may not need to upgrade…

I would add these two Apps to your application arsenal, Windy.Com and Drone Up.

Windy.com is so much more than UAV Forecast, but who really uses it to check the Satellite Count? But with Windy, you can scroll the map over to the location of your work or perform a search and check so much like wind, temp, rain, snow, frost, waves, lightning, etc… and it's especially helpful if your job site is several hours drive away.

Here is a link to a posting I did on Windy recently…

The DroneUp App is a great App that basically replaces B4UFly. The maps can be scrolled or searched to the job location and the maps appear as Google Map view, streets, names, building outlines, the FAA Altitude Zones, with easy to read numbers. And the best, it's LAANC enabled…

When I am ready to request an FAA Authorization, I often bring up DroneUp on my Tablet, and take a Screen Shot and then I import the photo to an editor and I will put notes on the map (Name, address, License Number, Lat/Long), circle or mark off the areas of interest, etc and submit that with my request for an authorization to FAADroneZone…

Here are a couple of samples to fly in Class D Airspace of and Air Force Base, the one on the left was to request permission to perform Roof inspections on the whole block and as you can see the demarcation between the 400-foot and the Zero-Foot Altitude authorization ran done the middle of the street. The one on the right was just for fun flying…

Fly On and Fly Safe…

View attachment 162477
Wow! What an informative post. I'll have to come back and read it more carefully later. Thanks for taking the time.

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann, in North, Texas!

You'll love the flexibility of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords--you'll get shots and videos you could only dream of before! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon be upgrading to the Mini 3 Pro.

We have over 150,000 members--many in your part of the South--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have have already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask!

BTW, we are grateful for new blood joining our forum--especially young guys like you (I'm 81) ;).

Glad to have you with us!

Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe