DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Minnesota

Ian_Holmes

Reactions
New Air owner here. After agonizing purchase of a drone for several years. I took the plunge and bought one at the weekend. I’m still very, perhaps overly, cautious about it so I haven’t flown it yet. Just spent two days reading manuals, checking restricted airspace, etc.
Perhaps I’m ready to fly now.
Ian

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi Ian ...I'm in Central Minnesota..first things first...go to some local parks and with the Drone in "Beginner" mode get acquainted with the controller and the DJI app. Take your time learning your drone it has years of fun in it. Don't do any of the fancy stuff you might see on YouTube but watch plenty of YouTube videos that have to do with your particular Drone. I'm still overly cautious about mine too (after a year and a half)... but I'm slowly accepting the reality that these "Flying mini-computers" do exactly what they're supposed to do. But like computers there's the odd anomaly that's unexpected...I'm on my second one courtesy of DJI refresh. With my first one I inadvertently ("stupidly") occasionally used the roof of my (metal) car for take off... the drone went here and there and suddenly crashed wrecking my camera. I learned that metal is not the friend of the on board compass. Anyway, slow and steady... it's the most fun tech toy...enjoy it.

Reactions: Ian_Holmes
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Read, Watch other you tube videos on settings, get ND filters, practice Practice, practice ......

Welcome to the forum :)

You'll enjoy your bird! Welcome to the Forum from the Nature Coast of Florida!

Don't make the mistake of attempting to fly indoors. I've seen more drones wrecked that way. Like SFSOC said, go to a local park first. Probably when there is no one there. Early mornings are best. Then you won't be stressed about anyone bugging you. One of the first things I did after I got comfortable, was fly the drone more than 100' away (but still VLOS), then turned off the RC. It is good to "practice" what happens in a controlled environment. It will also make you more confident in the aircraft. Oh, and don't forget to set the RTH altitude FIRST, so it will miss any trees or buildings in the way on the trip back. I've found this info from the manual helpful regarding what happens during RTH, depending how far away the aircraft is:

RTH Procedure
Smart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH follow this procedure:
1. The aircraft adjusts its orientation.
2. a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point it ascends to the pre-set RTH attitude and then flies to the Home Point.
b. If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point it flies to the Home Point at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2.5 m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2.5 m and then flies to the Home Point.
c. If the aircraft is less than 5 m from the Home Point it lands immediately.
3. The aircraft lands and stops its motors once it reaches the Home Point.

New Air owner here. After agonizing purchase of a drone for several years. I took the plunge and bought one at the weekend. I’m still very, perhaps overly, cautious about it so I haven’t flown it yet. Just spent two days reading manuals, checking restricted airspace, etc.
Perhaps I’m ready to fly now.
Ian
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Air, Fly safe and have fun!

Hi Ian ...I'm in Central Minnesota..first things first...go to some local parks and with the Drone in "Beginner" mode get acquainted with the controller and the DJI app. Take your time learning your drone it has years of fun in it. Don't do any of the fancy stuff you might see on YouTube but watch plenty of YouTube videos that have to do with your particular Drone. I'm still overly cautious about mine too (after a year and a half)... but I'm slowly accepting the reality that these "Flying mini-computers" do exactly what they're supposed to do. But like computers there's the odd anomaly that's unexpected...I'm on my second one courtesy of DJI refresh. With my first one I inadvertently ("stupidly") occasionally used the roof of my (metal) car for take off... the drone went here and there and suddenly crashed wrecking my camera. I learned that metal is not the friend of the on board compass. Anyway, slow and steady... it's the most fun tech toy...enjoy it.
Be careful about going to local parks. Many counties have drone ordinances that would prohibit taking off or landing aircraft on park property.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead