DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Portland, Oregon!

Seems from what you attached that the prohibitions for scenic areas like Multnomah Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, etc. lapse in November. Surely there is a new document to replace that one by now. Do you know?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Welcome!

Tualatin Hills Park & Rec District (THPRD) parks are generally open, just a few minutes west of Portland.

A few minutes south is Meldrum Bar Park, where RC cars and aircraft helped “grandfather” in drone flying.

Oregon State Parks are mostly open to drones, except where local rules prevent it.

Portland and Metro parks prohibit drone flying.

More than one person I know hits their local schoolyard when it’s deserted or at least very quiet. Not sure if this is always a good idea, and one might expect to get warned off.

Seems from what you attached that the prohibitions for scenic areas like Multnomah Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, etc. lapse in November. Surely there is a new document to replace that one by now. Do you know?
This is the current USFS page dated 1/26/2022 - doesn't look like anything has changed.

Columbia River Gorge Alerts & Notices

Hello. I have my FAA certification, and been flying a bit under recreational. Just looking to see if there are others in the area, and where have you been able to fly?

Thanks!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello all, I'm visiting Portland Oregon soon and was looking for some awesome areas to fly my Mavic 3. Any reconditions for city footage and coastal locations?
The city itself is a little difficult, as launching/operating isn’t allowed on public property. If you can figure private property the airspace is typical FAA regs.

Lots of opportunities on the coast, but beware of no-fly zones around bird and wildlife refuges. I think that includes most/all the sea stacks and near-shore small islands, Yaquina Head, and a significant radius around them. I believe it’s 500’.

The city of Cannon Beach is known to be vigorous in letting pilots know that Haystack Rock and surroundings are off limits.

There is also a new regulatory process around State Parks, which have mostly been open, but there may be changes for summer 2022.

The city itself is a little difficult, as launching/operating isn’t allowed on public property. If you can figure private property the airspace is typical FAA regs.

Lots of opportunities on the coast, but beware of no-fly zones around bird and wildlife refuges. I think that includes most/all the sea stacks and near-shore small islands, Yaquina Head, and a significant radius around them. I believe it’s 500’.

The city of Cannon Beach is known to be vigorous in letting pilots know that Haystack Rock and surroundings are off limits.

There is also a new regulatory process around State Parks, which have mostly been open, but there may be changes for summer 2022.
Do you mean that throughout all of Portland it is not legal to launch a drone from any public property like a park or parking lot or other public area??

Hello. I have my FAA certification, and been flying a bit under recreational. Just looking to see if there are others in the area, and where have you been able to fly?

Thanks!
CO here. I tend to go out to the Pine Mountain area to fly. Too many people here think you are invading their privacy if they see you launch or even carry a drone in an area even far away from them. Too many Karens I guess. :)
I've even been approached by the local news media saying I can't fly anywhere around Bend.
Unless I move, I'm thinking my drone hobby is going to come to an end soon enough

Do you mean that throughout all of Portland it is not legal to launch a drone from any public property like a park or parking lot or other public area??
Public property, my understanding is that that is correct. Note that many parking lots in the city are private property.

Also note that the Portland region is large and encompasses several jurisdictions, here we are talking about the city limits of Portland.

What does illegal mean in this context? What could the consequences be? In my experience it’s situational. In my experience LEOs are very concerned about people who appear to be doing stupid dangerous stuff, or are impacting the use/enjoyment of public spaces by others.

I suppose the most common consequence might be that one is told to stop doing that. But I don’t know because I’ve taken care to not fly from City of Portland property.

I am not a lawyer and am not qualified to give legal advice.

CO here…
I've even been approached by the local news media saying I can't fly anywhere around Bend…
CO = Central Oregon, not in the greater Portland area.

It appears from reading many online forum reports that news media in Bend have gained a reputation for telling other remote pilots what they can and can’t do.

The airspace is unregulated except:
East and North of Pilot Butte (Bend Municipal Airport, see attached image, LAANC clearance is available)

North of Bend (Redmond Airport, LAANC clearance is available)

Drone operations are specifically allowed in Bend Parks except Shevlin & Riley Ranch Nature Preserve. Of course Shevlin is the big close one you’d want to fly in, but think of all those outraged geese! They’d eat your drone…

If there are City of Bend regulations beyond the Bend Parks provisions above I can’t find them on the city’s web site on search terms “drone” or “uas”.

Still not a lawyer, still not qualified to give legal advice.

7B204ED9-12F3-493E-B8DB-3652089E0107.png

CO = Central Oregon, not in the greater Portland area.

It appears from reading many online forum reports that news media in Bend have gained a reputation for telling other remote pilots what they can and can’t do.

The airspace is unregulated except:
East and North of Pilot Butte (Bend Municipal Airport, see attached image, LAANC clearance is available)

North of Bend (Redmond Airport, LAANC clearance is available)

Drone operations are specifically allowed in Bend Parks except Shevlin & Riley Ranch Nature Preserve. Of course Shevlin is the big close one you’d want to fly in, but think of all those outraged geese! They’d eat your drone…

If there are City of Bend regulations beyond the Bend Parks provisions above I can’t find them on the city’s web site on search terms “drone” or “uas”.

Still not a lawyer, still not qualified to give legal advice.

View attachment 145974
Oh... they are allowed. No argument here. But in your face people around here and in Oregon are a problem.
I may go up to Shaniko and fly around there. Not too many people there. Ft Rock not during the eagle mating season is another. I've also wanted to fly around Hood River... but don't know the where to go areas yet.

I’ve long wanted to (carefully) fly Crack in the Ground, not so far from Ft. Rock.

I think I checked into Hood River, adjacent to the Columbia once, and found a few places one could fly, and some you couldn’t… haven’t gotten out there yet. Of course they are famous for high winds!

I’ve long wanted to (carefully) fly Crack in the Ground, not so far from Ft. Rock.

I think I checked into Hood River, adjacent to the Columbia once, and found a few places one could fly, and some you couldn’t… haven’t gotten out there yet. Of course they are famous for high winds!
Crack in the ground would be a cool spot on a non-busy day.

Public property, my understanding is that that is correct. Note that many parking lots in the city are private property.

Also note that the Portland region is large and encompasses several jurisdictions, here we are talking about the city limits of Portland.

What does illegal mean in this context? What could the consequences be? In my experience it’s situational. In my experience LEOs are very concerned about people who appear to be doing stupid dangerous stuff, or are impacting the use/enjoyment of public spaces by others.

I suppose the most common consequence might be that one is told to stop doing that. But I don’t know because I’ve taken care to not fly from City of Portland property.

I am not a lawyer and am not qualified to give legal advice.
I am new here. I live in Portland. As best I can research it, here is the sole comment from our city fathers as to drones:
###
20.12.180 Remote Control Vehicles, Aircraft and Watercraft.
City Code Section
No person shall operate any remote-controlled internal combustion powered vehicle, or any remote-controlled electric or internal combustion powered watercraft or aircraft, in, on or over any Park, except in such places the Director may designate for such use.
###
That's it. No mention of "public property" or "private property."
Having said that, I think Portland (especially SW Portland where I live) is generally way too hilly for a nervous, new drone pilot such as myself. Nervous like that, I flew from the Milwaukie boat launch my first time. My wife joined me (the Purchase Approver) and we had fun kibitzing with passers by on an early Saturday morning. No angry ones. No meanies. It was sweet. The downside. There are geese on the grass just to the north. They are friendly. But they have a way of all sort launching into the air at once. So, keep alert. Ha!

Reactions: LoudThunder and DBP
A little late to this, but I am also in Portland and FAA certified. For Portland, it's certainly true that you can't launch from or fly over any city owned park. There are lots of public areas you can fly. Milwaukee boat launch is a great one too. I need to head back out there soon.

I have my FAA certification, and been flying a bit under recreational.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

As a New Drone Pilot, I "TRUST" that your "FAA Certification" is the TRUST Certificate… But you never mentioned your Drone . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Flyer.

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Oregon, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Let us know your Drone and we might be able to hook you up with some nice Links…

Happy, Safe and Legal Droning…

I am new here. I live in Portland. As best I can research it, here is the sole comment from our city fathers as to drones:
###
20.12.180 Remote Control Vehicles, Aircraft and Watercraft.
City Code Section
No person shall operate any remote-controlled internal combustion powered vehicle, or any remote-controlled electric or internal combustion powered watercraft or aircraft, in, on or over any Park, except in such places the Director may designate for such use.
###
That's it. No mention of "public property" or "private property."
Having said that, I think Portland (especially SW Portland where I live) is generally way too hilly for a nervous, new drone pilot such as myself. Nervous like that, I flew from the Milwaukie boat launch my first time. My wife joined me (the Purchase Approver) and we had fun kibitzing with passers by on an early Saturday morning. No angry ones. No meanies. It was sweet. The downside. There are geese on the grass just to the north. They are friendly. But they have a way of all sort launching into the air at once. So, keep alert. Ha!

The City Code Section contains a statement that the city cannot legally enforce:

The city has no jurisdiction to forbid you from flying over a park. They can forbid you from launching or controlling your drone on park property but only the FAA can regulate airspace.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147