DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello, newbie here from Northern California

Photo89

Reactions
After reading a post of people looking for spots to fly in Northern California Bay Area I decided to join and meet some new folks for information and assistance. Would really like to meet some groups or individuals to fly around the area. I have worked as a portrait and sports photographer since 1989. Need some new skills to offer and would like to purchase better equipment eventually, I just received a Mavic Mini today to try it all out. Look forward to starting!
Steve

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. You will find valuable support and feedback here. Wish you well on your flights. We look forward to seeing your part of the world

Welcome to the forum @Photo89! You’re in great company up in Sonoma, with the beautiful wine country, Russian River and the drone-friendly coast around Bodega Bay...with quite a few forum members. Post on one of the local threads about wanting to meet up, and you’ll get some responses again.

If it’s not too far to drive, come join a drone Meet Up at the former Naval Air Station Alameda’s old helo runway on July 11th:

Last edited:
Hey pelagic_one, I will absolutely do that. Thank you.. there are so many very cool places and so happy to be able to fly at Bodega bay- go there occasionally so now I have a great excuse!

Not to far a drive at all! Would really like to try it at the Alameda air station. I've been to the USS Hornet several times and would be great if allowed to fly over it and all the other ships docked there? I will set up a meet up account and definitely plan to go on the 11th. Thanks for the information. Steve

Would really like to try it at the Alameda air station. I've been to the USS Hornet several times and would be great if allowed to fly over it and all the other ships docked there?
We meet across the harbor opening northwest of the Hornet, with clear skies to 400 feet. Although the Hornet is within Oakland Airport's Class C airspace, LAANC allowable to 200 feet, we ask everyone to respect her by not flying over.

Only Maverick can do that flyover without repercussion...not Mavic. ;-)

Ok great, I would need to look that up on maps. Is it a reserved space or can you go anytime?

Good to know plus I don't want to ask permission just yet in those spaces.

Lol! Love that

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Welcome to the forum! :)

Ok great, I would need to look that up on maps. Is it a reserved space or can you go anytime?
The city of Alameda owns the property now, so it’s open to drive to anytime. Keep in mind that the old hangers and the control tower are now commercial businesses, but I’ll admit to buzzing that inactive tower a few times. :)

Here’s the exact spot that I’ve found best to fly, away from most people, and does not require LAANC authorization:

Wow that’s great! Haha! Sounds like a lot of fun. I cannot wait to get out there.
Looks like an absolutely perfect spot away from everything. Thank you for all of this :)Thumbswayup

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan