DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help needed with Mavic 2 Pro

giebe

Reactions
Hello everyone.
Can I ask anyone who own mavic 2 pro to take a singe top down shot of the grass from the 1m height and one from 2 meters and maby one from 3 meters and make the results available to download in RAW?
This is something I usually do:

or

I take many images of the ground with the camera and tripod and reconstruct them using photogrammetry to turn them into textures that can be used later in computer games.
I was trying to do this with Mavic Air but the image quality was really bad compared to what I took using a DSLR camera.
(see attachments)
Would say that the one I took with the mavic air was similar to what I was able to take with my old mobile.. a lot of grain, blur and postprocessing. This is why I didnt buy a mavic air and was looking for alternative (bought tello instead to learn to fly :) but I feel like I am ready)
I did some research and feels like there is a huge difference with the mavic 2 pro but since it cost a lot of money, I need to check this quality before I buy one.
So Iam looking for an answer is Mavic 2 Pro able to deliver sharp, clean and consistent images .. which can be compared to those I take with the DSLR camera.

I would prefer image of grass since this is usually the toughest surface to capture due to it depth and details.

Thanks a lot in advance..
G.

Attachments

• 6001.jpg
    6001.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2279_DxO-small2.jpg
    IMG_2279_DxO-small2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Hello everyone.
Can I ask anyone who own mavic 2 pro to take a singe top down shot of the grass from the 1m height and one from 2 meters and maby one from 3 meters and make the results available to download in RAW?

or

I take many images of the ground with the camera and tripod and reconstruct them using photogrammetry to turn them into textures that can be used later in computer games.
I was trying to do this with Mavic Air but the image quality was really bad compared to what I took using a DSLR camera.
(see attachments)
Would say that the one I took with the mavic air was similar to what I was able to take with my old mobile.. a lot of grain, blur and postprocessing. This is why I didnt buy a mavic air and was looking for alternative (bought tello instead to learn to fly :) but I feel like I am ready)
I did some research and feels like there is a huge difference with the mavic 2 pro but since it cost a lot of money, I need to check this quality before I buy one.
So Iam looking for an answer is Mavic 2 Pro able to deliver sharp, clean and consistent images .. which can be compared to those I take with the DSLR camera.

I would prefer image of grass since this is usually the toughest surface to capture due to it depth and details.

G.
I presume you mean still images, not video?

Hello everyone.

or

(see attachments)

G.
I took a shot of grass yesterday to check the camera sharpness. If you look at the center to right areas you will see what you typically get from the M2P. There are bad cameras out there and I got one on a replacement drone and am now dealing with DJI to get it fixed.
Heres a screenshot (at 100%) and a link to the original raw file.

pic.jpg

Raw File

Reactions: giebe
I took a shot of grass yesterday to check the camera sharpness. If you look at the center to right areas you will see what you typically get from the M2P. There are bad cameras out there and I got one on a replacement drone and am now dealing with DJI to get it fixed.
Heres a screenshot (at 100%) and a link to the original raw file.

View attachment 75485

Raw File
veeeeeeeery big thanks. It was exactly something I was looking for.
Looks pretty sharp and surprisingly good compared to images I take with my DSLR camera mounted on a tripod.
But the angle worries me as feels super wide and my postprocessing app tells me it was shot with 10mm focal length:) .. is this true? Is the cameras focal length for Mavic 2 Pro 10mm?

veeeeeeeery big thanks. It was exactly something I was looking for.
Looks pretty sharp and surprisingly good compared to images I take with my DSLR camera mounted on a tripod.
But the angle worries me as feels super wide and my postprocessing app tells me it was shot with 10mm focal length:) .. is this true? Is the cameras focal length for Mavic 2 Pro 10mm?
I have never understood where that number comes from as it shows the same for me. That is not what it is.
It is a 77 degree fov at 28mm

From their specs...
FOV: about 77°
35 mm Format Equivalent: 28 mm
Aperture: f/2.8–f/11
Shooting Range: 1 m to ∞

typically get from the M2P. There are bad cameras out there and I got one on a replacement drone and am now dealing with DJI to get it fixed.
So the image you posted, you consider good or bad? Looks fine to me, a bit softer on the upper right edge, but that's minimal ...
My first drone had pretty worse quality: Soft corner issue on my Mavic 2 Pro too?

So the image you posted, you consider good or bad? Looks fine to me, a bit softer on the upper right edge, but that's minimal ...
My first drone had pretty worse quality: Soft corner issue on my Mavic 2 Pro too?
On my screen it is quite obvious that the grass on the right is in focus, and as you go left, it gets blurry. That screenprint of LR is at 100%.
It may seem more apparent in this shot and also shows distortion on the left side. The wall is perfectly straight so the distance between the red lines left and right should be the same as it is lined up with the bottom of the brick in the center.

EDIT: Just noticed this is a low res version so you can't see the softness but the distortion is obvious.

Last edited:
Oh, wow ... you mean, you centred the drone parallel to the wall and the picture you get is this curved "sketch"? Oh dear, no wonder you get deviations.
Need to be fixed for sure!

The lens however is curved but the DNG should contain the necessary info to project it right upon importing into Lightroom.
JPGs out of the Mavic are already fixed.

Very strange.

Oh, wow ... you mean, you centred the drone parallel to the wall and the picture you get is this curved "sketch"? Oh dear, no wonder you get deviations.
Need to be fixed for sure!

The lens however is curved but the DNG should contain the necessary info to project it right upon importing into Lightroom.
JPGs out of the Mavic are already fixed.

Very strange.
The camera is at a slight angle so there is a slight perspective which accounts for the little deviation on the right but the difference should be the same left to right.

The M2P has a 1" 20MP sensor and therefore is not going to be anywhere near what you can capture with a DSLR. It's miles ahead of the 1/2.3" sensors but comparing it to a DSLR is equally unfair. Delivering sharp/clear/consistent images is not a problem for it though.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The camera is at a slight angle so there is a slight perspective which accounts for the little deviation on the right but the difference should be the same left to right.

Assuming I am understanding you correctly, If the camera was at an angle (the brick wall photo looks like it's quite far off from being squared up), both sides will not be the same. Depth of field is not equal in front and behind the plane of focus.

Assuming I am understanding you correctly, If the camera was at an angle (the brick wall photo looks like it's quite far off from being squared up), both sides will not be the same. Depth of field is not equal in front and behind the plane of focus.
My point is a straight line does not curve because of a perspective. You can clearly see the left side warps way out.

There ya go, there's the perspective corrected pic [emoji4]DJI_0035-01.jpeg

There ya go, there's the perspective corrected pic [emoji4]View attachment 75503
Thanks thats nice but, the pic I posted, Lightroom already applied Hassleblads lens correction with the posted result. I am not about to manually correct every photo I take for a faulty lens.
I had a perfectly good M2P for well over half a year before the replacement so I know what it is supposed to look like.

Thanks thats nice but, the pic I posted, Lightroom already applied Hassleblads lens correction with the posted result. I am not about to manually correct every photo I take for a faulty lens.
I had a perfectly good M2P for well over half a year before the replacement so I know what it is supposed to look like.
No I agree with you, but even on the perspective correction you can see the lense warp and softening, I agree. Should deffo moan at DJI.

I was just trying to help the OP out and also let them know to look out for a bad camera. This post is not about me so I end my participation here.

Fly Safe...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming