DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with Rogue drone operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
Could someone answer me a few questions please, as you can tell my name pretty much explains my questions . I have been fallowed by drones for 4 months and had them in my window on more than one occasion, now I’m trying to be a law abiding citizen and do things the proper way and it seems I’m getting nowhere at all. So this is most likely my last resort before I take matters in my own hands deal with it the way 90 percent of Americans told me to do in first place . Could someone please tell me how I can pin point the operator location if possible? Or how I can control the drone and bring it down to me and when they come for it tell them the games are over or I’m pressing charges ? It’s that bad my wife is scared and thinks someone wants to kidnapp our son because she is having nightmares about that. She wants to move and I’m an American these colors don’t run, I’ll stand and fight until they understand to leave me and my family alone. Could someone please help me out, I can pay you even know I don’t have tons of money I do pay my bills and debts . I’m in some sad shape right now a grown man begging for help cause I feel I can’t protect my family unless I blast it out the sky but I’m trying to avoid that at all cost . Please someone help me out

First off don't take matters into your OWN HANDS! The aircraft and operator do have some legal protection and those giving you advice otherwise need to reach into their pockets to help you when Law Enforcement comes knocking on YOUR door.

If you genuinely have a problem document it with your own video recording and call local Law Enforcement. Let them do what they do.

Odds are the drone is NOT looking in your window and it poses no real harm but I can fully understand how it makes you and your family uncomfortable. Just don't do anything stupid to bring legal harm to you and your family. It's not worth that.

I'm going to go on record here and ask ALL Mavic Pilot members reading this to take it easy and practice the guidelines set forth for ALL of us of BE NICE!!! This thread can spiral out of control quickly...

BE NICE or don't post at all ! ! ! !

Heed 107s advice. But if things don’t improve, one last-resort option is to use a pocket laser to blind the camera but ONLY if it’s over your property. The drone pilot will get the message real quick. I’d record the drone over your property while you laze it. You well may be liable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jolly Dodger
See if one of you neighbors can help with some of the evidence gathering duties. More than one witness is always a plus in the law enforcement field, if you go that route.The drone will need to return to its pilot at some point. You may be able to follow it back to that point with some help. Hope it works out for you and family.

First off don't take matters into your OWN HANDS! The aircraft and operator do have some legal protection and those giving you advice otherwise need to reach into their pockets to help you when Law Enforcement comes knocking on YOUR door.

If you genuinely have a problem document it with your own video recording and call local Law Enforcement. Let them do what they do.

Odds are the drone is NOT looking in your window and it poses no real harm but I can fully understand how it makes you and your family uncomfortable. Just don't do anything stupid to bring legal harm to you and your family. It's not worth that.
Should the drone not have to have the numbers from drone registry

Reactions: Thomas B
Film the drone collect evidence! Find out the make and model of drone! If it’s something like a spark the operator is most likely near by! If it is dji maybe you could get lucky and contact dji and they will give you log of flight records in area

Should the drone not have to have the numbers from drone registry

It "should" be registered but the #'s do not have to be readable at flying distance so unless the sUAS lands or crashes the #'s probably won't be visible enough to read.

Reactions: Ftank28
After you've documented the issue, get someone else with a drone to take off and follow the guy's one to his place. If possible unseen, just be ready somewhere behind the house and when he starts leaving take off and follow.

We did exactly this last year when a rogue operator was flying over the stadium of a High School football game. We launched outside his field of view (and much higher than he was flying) and followed him back to his car (landing spot) in an adjacent school parking lot. LEO walked right up to his car and he denied flying a drone. We showed him the video (FaceTime to our Command Post) clearly showing him landing and putting everything in his trunk then looking around like nothing had happened. He was asked to leave and stated that if he comes back on school property it will be trespassing and he will be prosecuted. Also LEA now have his name and information so if there is a rogue drone flying over the area they know who to look for.

I have been followed by drones for 4 months and had them in my window on more than one occasion..
Some more details might be useful to be able to give you appropriate help.
How many, how big, can you describe them and how close do they get?
It sounds like someone could be trying to annoy you - can you think of anyone that might be doing that?
There's no need to be scared - drones are harmless unless you get close to the propellers.
They are the world's worst spying devices too since they have very wide angle lenses and they are noisy and have flashing lights.
They have to be very close before they can see any recognisable details of a person.
Could someone please tell me how I can pin point the operator location if possible?
You would have to follow it back.
So this is most likely my last resort before I take matters in my own hands deal with it the way 90 percent of Americans told me to do in first place .
I feel I can’t protect my family unless I blast it out the sky but I’m trying to avoid that at all cost .
That would be unwise and possibly cause more harm than intended.
There are simpler ways of dealing with it.

Try to get a pic of the FAA registration number. Get pics and video. Failing that following the drone to landing is the best shot since flight time is likely limited to <30 min total.
Don’t shoot the drone down. You’ll be on camera and potentially face FAA charges. Notify local PD they will be best equipped to take the next step and can access the drone owner via the FAA number.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
What state?
What city?
What altitude is it flying at?
Does it hover or just fly over?
How long is it visible in the area?
What time of day does it normally happen?
Is it usually the same day every week or is it every day?
Do you know anyone in the general area that owns a drone?
Do you have a camera with a zoom lens that you can take some detailed pictures of the offending drone with?
Have you already involved L.E. (called in a complaint or actually filed a written complaint)
Is there any reason other than intuition why you or your wife would suspect someone gathering information for a possible abduction?
Have any of your neighbors experienced any similar issues with drones lately or in the past?

There are things that can be done but there are a lot of questions that need to be answered.

Some more details might be useful to be able to give you appropriate help.
How many, how big, can you describe them and how close do they get?
It sounds like someone could be trying to annoy you - can you think of anyone that might be doing that?
There's no need to be scared - drones are harmless unless you get close to the propellers.
They are the world's worst spying devices too since they have very wide angle lenses and they are noisy and have flashing lights.
They have to be very close before they can see any recognisable details of a person.

You would have to follow it back.

That would be unwise and possibly cause more harm than intended.
There are simpler ways of dealing with it.
Could you give me suggestions please ? Not sure actually how big as they tend to stay at a distance , when looking through my scope I can only see the light to camera and blinking blue light, I do know it stays up there for hours and when daylight starts to break it climbs even higher into the clouds. Some do look bigger than others, when it was in my window looked big with the shadow I seen through curtains

Could you give me suggestions please ? Not sure actually how big as they tend to stay at a distance , when looking through my scope I can only see the light to camera and blinking blue light, I do know it stays up there for hours and when daylight starts to break it climbs even higher into the clouds. Some do look bigger than others, when it was in my window looked big with the shadow I seen through curtains
They try and blend into sky with stars until they think I’m in bed until they get closer I noticed

I would take offense to that but it’s understandable considering I’d think the same thing if someone told me what I’m saying. The answer is no and yes they are hovering for dark til dawn from what I see brother . I have good pictures on an old phone I could email them to you .
From * not for dark

This picture I’m gonna send you I took of a moon that looked like it moved a good distance in an hour, when I was looking at it with naked eye it was only the moon I could see until I took the picture and other lights appeared

Attachments

• 11753452-26D5-4C56-99C0-17AE601DB007.jpeg
    11753452-26D5-4C56-99C0-17AE601DB007.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 225
What state?
What city?
What altitude is it flying at?
Does it hover or just fly over?
How long is it visible in the area?
What time of day does it normally happen?
Is it usually the same day every week or is it every day?
Do you know anyone in the general area that owns a drone?
Do you have a camera with a zoom lens that you can take some detailed pictures of the offending drone with?
Have you already involved L.E. (called in a complaint or actually filed a written complaint)
Is there any reason other than intuition why you or your wife would suspect someone gathering information for a possible abduction?
Have any of your neighbors experienced any similar issues with drones lately or in the past?

There are things that can be done but there are a lot of questions that need to be answered.
It comes almost everyday except when it snows or rains. Usually around 8pm it appears until about 8am. I live in Elizabethtown, Pa . The local police cannot even figure this out as I been in contact with them. Contacted airport up the road about 12 miles and I couldn’t get anywhere. I have friends in the military who work at the depot in my town and it’s not them . I am on Workers Comp until I get surgery but doubt it would be a PI considering the amount of money this is already costing someone, and PI don’t watch you everyday just about for 4 months . I cannot get a reg number as I can’t even tell the shape of them just the camera and when they are mobile there strobe blinks really fast white and red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman