DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi. Can anyone explain what the new rules from the CAA are

Mavic-Max

Reactions
I read lots of conflicting information or misinformation on the new rules. I’m about to buy a Mavic Air2 and wonder what it means for this drone. Also is the Mavic Mini exempt from the rules due to its light weight. Does anyone have a simple explanation of the new rules. I read changes coming this July and again next January. What’s going on.

I read lots of conflicting information or misinformation on the new rules. I’m about to buy a Mavic Air2 and wonder what it means for this drone. Also is the Mavic Mini exempt from the rules due to its light weight. Does anyone have a simple explanation of the new rules. I read changes coming this July and again next January. What’s going on.

Have a look at the Mr MPW YouTube channel, lots of info on there which is regularly update by Matt the channel owner. Matt has covered pretty much every detail of the EASA guidelines and how the CAA are interpreting and implementing them.

Reactions: Peter Hughes
Nothing is changing until at LEAST november.
If/When the EASA rules come in all current drones (mini, pro, air etc) become legacy which means restrictions after the 2 year or so grace period (so end of 2022 or 2023).

Have a look at the Mr MPW YouTube channel, lots of info on there which is regularly update by Matt the channel owner. Matt has covered pretty much every detail of the EASA guidelines and how the CAA are interpreting and implementing them.

Thanks I’ll take a look

Nothing is changing until at LEAST november.
If/When the EASA rules come in all current drones (mini, pro, air etc) become legacy which means restrictions after the 2 year or so grace period (so end of 2022 or 2023).

Thanks for the info

After November, newly manufactured drones will have to have an EASA Class logo on the manufacturer's label. However, ANY drone produced prior to that time, and ANY drone not having that Class logo, will be designated a 'Legacy UAV' after November 2020. In regard specifically to the Mavic Air 2 - it's weight means that it must be flown under the new rules according to 'Open Class' 'subcategory A3'. To put it simply - no overflying of people, and a horizontal separation greater than 150 metres from people and buildings. There is no time limit on the classification for Legacy drones, you can fly them recreationally forever. The confusion arises with 'commercial operations' ... If you want to be able to fly your Legacy UAV closer to people and buildings, then you must sit and pass an 'A2 Certificate of Competency' which will allow you to fly under subcategory A2 rules - but only up until July 2022. After that, the legacy drone is allowed to fly subcat' A3 only.
If you are only flying recreationally, then the easiest reference is the EASA document below, and you only need to get familiar with 'Open Class' 'subcategory A3' regulations ...

To answer your question about the Mavic Mini - no - it is not exempt. It too becomes a 'Legacy UAV' after November, but due to its weight, it will be allowed to fly under subcategory A1 rules, that have a little more freedom about flying over people. Note that it will also become a requirement that you have an Operator and Flyer reg' to fly a Mavic Mini.

To answer your question about the Mavic Mini - no - it is not exempt. It too becomes a 'Legacy UAV' after November, but due to its weight, it will be allowed to fly under subcategory A1 rules, that have a little more freedom about flying over people. Note that it will also become a requirement that you have an Operator and Flyer reg' to fly a Mavic Mini.

Your last two posts should be stickied. You've done a great job of condensing the info into a nutshell!

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31